Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139792 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2014, 08:34:23 am »
They might, it'd depend on the setting they're using.  Would they use the universe created by the recent movies, something around the same time and universe as Online, or something after Picard and the Enterprise E in a universe that ignores the Online continuity in favour of a homebrew timeline?  You gotta remember, film and television are two largely different beasts.  TV, typically, has a longer timeline to work, they can put forth more effort into stories, they can create more detailed characters and make characterization more gradual and complex.  TV, as a medium, offers more potential complexity than 90 to 180 minutes of movie, even if your movie turns into a series and runs as long as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

Granted, we won't have the Roddenberry touch, but it could still be good, and smart.  There's more to do in the galaxy, there's more to do in the universe, and something like Star Trek will always have potential, just like Doctor Who.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
As far as TNG goes, it doesn't help that Troi was, for quite a bit of it (that I recall, anyway), in one state which went something like "I'm sensing X, Captain."  Also, why does a counselor need to be on the bridge?  Shouldn't she be in, ya know, her office, where her patients can easily get a hold of her?  She's about as close to a civilian as you can get in Starfleet, yet she's on the bridge more than she's in her office.

TNG was the start of a terrible trend where Starfleet started to mix military and civilian governments and life together: military law being the law of the galaxy, civilians loaded onto warships (don't tell me the Enterprise wasn't a warship; that's just dense), and a changeover to a communist government.

Well I always thought Troi was on the bridge because of her ability to sense deception and mallice, which would come in useful when talking to people you don't know if you should trust.  But that doesn't really explain why she was a permanant, full time bridge crew member.  In real life she'd spend the majority of her shift doing fuck all.

I also found the shows assertions that Starfleet was not a military orgnaisation and the Enterprise was not a battle ship to be more than a little daft.  Why does a non-military organisation have military ranks and structure, adhear to military style law complete with court martials, wear uniforms, train in military tactics and have ships like the Enterprise that seem suspiciously well equiped for battle.

Star Fleet to me is basically the space navy.  Sure their primary focus might be on exploration and science and avoiding violent confrontation if possible but they're still essentially a military outfit.  I mean the explorers of the 14th and 15th centuries did not go exploring in naval frigates, despite the potential risks.  And as far as I know most scientists do not have combat training and do not conduct research armed even when they go into dangrous regions.  Probably because it's hard to convince someone that you are not there for military reasons and are not a threat when you're packing an assault rifle and wearing an army uniform.

Also, all the kids running around underfoot. Can you imagine the outcry today if not only civilians, but children were packed aboard corvettes that were sent to hostile nations and regularly engaged in battle against similarly equipped vessels? All because they happened to be related to the officers?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
They might, it'd depend on the setting they're using.  Would they use the universe created by the recent movies, something around the same time and universe as Online, or something after Picard and the Enterprise E in a universe that ignores the Online continuity in favour of a homebrew timeline?  You gotta remember, film and television are two largely different beasts.  TV, typically, has a longer timeline to work, they can put forth more effort into stories, they can create more detailed characters and make characterization more gradual and complex.  TV, as a medium, offers more potential complexity than 90 to 180 minutes of movie, even if your movie turns into a series and runs as long as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

Granted, we won't have the Roddenberry touch, but it could still be good, and smart.  There's more to do in the galaxy, there's more to do in the universe, and something like Star Trek will always have potential, just like Doctor Who.

True. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical based on the direction the movies went. They're not even bad as far as stand-alone movies go, but when you're coming from a franchise that's noted for being progressive (for its time), seeing all of the optimism, morality and progressiveness stripped out in favour of sex and action is really disappointing. Not that I don't understand why they did it -- to sell tickets -- but it's still sucky.

Also, all the kids running around underfoot. Can you imagine the outcry today if not only civilians, but children were packed aboard corvettes that were sent to hostile nations and regularly engaged in battle against similarly equipped vessels? All because they happened to be related to the officers?

Just one of the many, many reasons that the Federation often comes across as hopelessly naive in TNG. TNG is still my favourite of all the installments, but DS9 did a good job of balancing it out by exploring the less ideal aspects (even if they were still silly enough to allow children to live on a station that was under constant threat of attack). One of the great things about DS9 is that it managed to look at the darker and grittier side of things without completely undermining the overall dynamic of Star Trek.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:58:19 pm by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #438 on: March 02, 2014, 07:45:56 pm »
I didn't like DS9 because of all the camp.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2014, 11:38:53 pm »
Aw, but Garak was awesome.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #440 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:20 am »
Garak was worse than Hitler.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #441 on: March 03, 2014, 01:38:47 am »

Garak, Odo and Quark.

Also, oblig DS9 best quote in the series:  "You hit me! *Picard* never hit me!" "I'm not Picard"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #442 on: March 04, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
Just started watching Almost Human. A lot better than I though it'd be, nice to see some good sci-fi on TV. although, knowing my luck they probably won't renew it for another season.

Also, I'm straight, but I'd totally let Karl Urban fuck me.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #443 on: March 04, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »
Just started watching Almost Human. A lot better than I though it'd be, nice to see some good sci-fi on TV. although, knowing my luck they probably won't renew it for another season.

Guess who's coming to Megacon in Orlando in 2 weeks?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #444 on: March 04, 2014, 12:53:59 pm »

Guess who's coming to Megacon in Orlando in 2 weeks?

So far away.... :(

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #445 on: March 04, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »

Who wouldnt.

I love almost human. But my only problem with it is that it has these random ass storylines just going nowhere

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:35:54 pm by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:54 pm »
Been re-watching ST:TNG on Netflix (they only have up to season 5 so far sadly) as it's been a long, long time since I last saw any TNG.

I have a question for those who remember all the seaons.  Does Troi get raped in EVERY season?  Because so far she seems to have suffered some kind of rape at least once in each season, whether it be a memory-telepathe using his ablities to implant the memory of a rape that never happened or a non coporial entity impregnating her as she sleeps so it can father itself as a human child.  It's pretty fucking disturbing, I think some of the TNG writers might have some serious issues.

I know the Alien franchise, which I love, is basically about rape but in those films everyone gets raped; men, women and even dogs.  They don't have one lone female character who repeatedly gets raped over and over with each new movie to the point where it starts to look like that might be the main reason why that indivdual character exists.

Plus, in Alien the whole rape analogy thing is intentionally disturbing and horrific.  Some of Troi's episodes however have almost the complete opposite tone.  Especially the one I mentioned with the non-coporial alien using her to father itself into a human child.

WTF, TNG?  I thought you were cool   :(

Blame the fact that the first two seasons were penned by a misogynist fuckwad by the name Marice Hurley, who left after Season 2. But yeah, the whole thing with Troi getting fucked literally so often is not cool.

Then there was this episode known as "The Child", where she got impregnated by some energy being, implanting itself in utero. And how Troi was offered to get an abortion as baby Edward Cullen is developing at an rapid rate. She chooses to give birth to it. I think that says a lot about Marice Hurley and his views on women. That was why Gates Macfadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher) left the show for only that season and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) left indefinitely, having her character killed before the end of Season 1.

It is a mystery to me how a show as great as TNG survived through such awful introductory seasons...

McFadden was the only one who left because of Hurley. Crosby actually left because she thought her character wasn't being given enough to do, and no connection between her and Hurley is mentioned on Memory Alpha.

Also, regarding "The Child," that one actually started as a script for "Star Trek: Phase II," a 1978 series that would have featured the TOS cast reprising their roles, with Decker and Ilia from ST1 as regular cast members. So it was not only from a different era, but Hurley did most of the work on making it fit TNG as well.

I should point out, though, that Troi was given a choice and that everyone else was actually pressuring her to have the abortion. If she had put aside her choice in response to the demands of the other (mostly male) characters, what message would that have sent?

As for "Violations" which was after Hurley had left the show, everyone was having their memories violated, not just Troi, although hers was the only one involving a physical rape as well as the mental violation.

"Nemesis" is the only other instance of Troi being raped that I can think of, but nobody thought that was a good movie to begin with.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:05:15 pm by Random Guy »

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #447 on: March 05, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
I think he was referring to any case where Troi had her mind or body invaded/manipulated against her will, regardless of whether it was literal rape. Of course, her being an empath/weak telepath justifies many of the mind-related plots (Eye of the Beholder, The Survivors, etc.), but the more questionable ones are still worth noting, especially in light of all of the other issues surrounding the treatment of her character.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:18 pm »
I think he was referring to any case where Troi had her mind or body invaded/manipulated against her will, regardless of whether it was literal rape. Of course, her being an empath/weak telepath justifies many of the mind-related plots (Eye of the Beholder, The Survivors, etc.), but the more questionable ones are still worth noting, especially in light of all of the other issues surrounding the treatment of her character.

Granted. However, if "forced mind/body invasion" counts as rape, it would also apply to:

Picard ("The Best of Both Worlds," "The Inner Light," "Chain of Command")

Riker ("Frame of Mind")

Data ("The Schizoid Man," "Brothers," "Power Play," "Descent," "Masks")

Geordi ("The Mind's Eye")

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2014, 05:11:40 am »
Anybody else seen Carnivale? Oldish show. Up to the 10th episode and I like it decently despite the slow pace
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.