Author Topic: Drink Up NYC: Meet The Tiny Crustaceans (Not Kosher) In Your Tap Water  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
So tiny shrimp were found in the tap water of NYC.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/31/drink-up-nyc-meet-the-tiny-crustaceans-not-kosher-in-your-tap-water/

New York City is known for having excellent tap water, but why does it taste so good? It might be the microscopic shrimp.

Tiny copepods were discovered after a reddit user uploaded photos of what they found through the other end of a microscope after adding H&E stain to New York tap water. According to blog Gizmodo, copepods are added to water to eat mosquito larvae, keeping water sources clear.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/31/drink-up-nyc-meet-the-tiny-crustaceans-not-kosher-in-your-tap-water/#ixzz1tGTuCri5

Just thought that this was interesting.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Oh, tasty!

As to the bit about it being not kosher, I wonder how many other microscopic things a person will swallow over the course of their lives that would violate some religious rule or another.
-A Pen Name

shykid

I see nothing wrong with this as long as the water doesn't actually taste like shrimp. That would be disgusting.

Like the DEP spokesperson in the article suggested, if someone doesn't like it for whatever reason, they can filter their water. My only concern here would be a food allergy to crustaceans. But does that even exist, and are there even enough critters to cause a problem with that? I confess I fail biology forever here.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
I see nothing wrong with this as long as the water doesn't actually taste like shrimp. That would be disgusting.

Like the DEP spokesperson in the article suggested, if someone doesn't like it for whatever reason, they can filter their water. My only concern here would be a food allergy to crustaceans. But does that even exist, and are there even enough critters to cause a problem with that? I confess I fail biology forever here.

I am guessing that there is not enough to cause a problem. Cause it sounds like the crustaceans have been in the water for a long time but are only now becoming general knowledge. I would imagine that if they were enough to cause a problem for folks with allergies, it would have come up long before now.

Though perhaps some allergic folks have had a chronic mild discomfort of some sort, depending on how they react, that they have never been able to pin down before. But in any case, it doesn’t seem to have ever caused a serious problem.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
If the Haredi Jews there find out about this, they'll flip their shit. Again.

Anyway, I believe that one can never have enough seafood, and I don't think it's a particularly bad thing. There's lots of stuff in the water supply that I'm sure we'd rather not know about. Heck, even the mineral content of water differs from region to region.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
Crushed Asians in the water...

Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.