Author Topic: Diablo 3 accounts hacked  (Read 12305 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Diablo 3 accounts hacked
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »
After getting through the bevy of release date errors, Diablo 3 players are finding their accounts under attack. It’s not clear whether it’s an exploitable glitch within Diablo 3 or improperly secured accounts on the client side, but many accounts on Diablo 3 have been hacked on May 19 and 20. Those who have recent activity with an account named “leyiong”, “Nevin”, “SBJunkie”, “luckllezz”, “McLeast” or any other person you know you never played with are almost assuredly the victims of this hacking and will need to take steps to re-secure their account as well as get their items back.

Blizzard’s answer to the mass of hacked Diablo 3 accounts, is, "Change your password and get an authenticator" - though many accounts with authenticators have also been among those hacked.
http://www.examiner.com/article/accounts-on-diablo-3-hacked

Edit - also for fun the thread of hacked account rage from Battle.net - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149008104?page=1

Way to stick your heads in the sand about this one Blizzard.  I have a feeling that this is a Battle.net 2.0 bug that is being exploited but you all know Blizzard will go "lalalalala" to that being the case.  Anyone here that plays D3 have their account hacked, even with a authenticator?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:36:48 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Diablo 3 accounts hacked
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »
Uh, Blizz usually aren't ones to stick their heads in the sand when something goes wrong.  See:  GAME Australia debacle.

You get to blame Kotick and Activision though, just fine!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
My level of surprise on hearing this?  Negligible.  It is hilarious how quickly the hackers found an exploit, though.  Makes ya wonder if they do any security testing before they release their crap...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »
My level of surprise on hearing this?  Negligible.  It is hilarious how quickly the hackers found an exploit, though.  Makes ya wonder if they do any security testing before they release their crap...

With the fact that Blizzard introduced real money auction houses into the mix, I'm willing to bet hacking will only get worse and more sophisticated.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »
This makes me even more happy that I did not buy D3.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »
This makes me even more happy that I did not buy D3.

You and me both.  I even had it pre-ordered until the day the news broke that it would require a online only connection and blizz was incorporating real money auction houses.  Real fast pre-order cancel for me.  Now seeing this just makes me happy that from the looks of things over all we dodged a pretty big bullet.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:08:03 pm »
Time to get Torchlight and look foreword to Torchlight 2.  Blizzard is dead to me.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Saturn500

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »
Time to get Torchlight and look foreword to Torchlight 2.  Blizzard is dead to me.

Way, way, way ahead of ya.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »

Blizzard's been dead to me since Diablo II.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »
I'm concerned about the fact D3 and WoW share login info.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
After reading more and more into the threads....ya Blizzard has been dead to me for awhile but I was really hoping that their new MMO Titan would be interesting. However if they can't keep their security tight and shit like this happens....I'll never purchase a Blizzard game that requires a internet connection again in the future.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik</a>

A bot is already out and working! Complete with its own API.
They even have a twitter!

Blizzard has been going full DERP since StarCraft 2. More accurately: the Blizzard form is dead, there is only Activision.

If anything is to be learned from the Error 73 incident, forcing everything to be online is a logistical disaster. Especially if multiple games share the same login database and servers! All some hacker needs to do is exploit a newer (less tested) game to screw over all players for all other games.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:56:22 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
Yeah, I haven't played WoW in forever, but still have my battlenet account active.  This stuff has given me second thoughts about not deactivating it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:15:31 am by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:51 am »
At least they didn't shut down the servers for months because of this.

I mean, can you imagine the rage?

Also, could be keyloggers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:31:11 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:31 am »
At least they didn't shut down the servers for months because of this.

I mean, can you imagine the rage?

Also, could be keyloggers.

Key loggers? Given the amount of accounts hacked I seriously doubt that. I am calling it now, a login server was hacked.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*