Author Topic: Ouya - a new gaming console?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Ouya - a new gaming console?
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:30:40 pm »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

OUYA: The revolution will be televised

OUYA is a new game console for the TV, powered by Android.

We've packed this little box full of power. Developers will have access to OUYA's open design so they can produce their games for the living room, taking advantage of everything the TV has to offer.

Best of all, OUYA's world-class controller, console, and interface come in one beautiful, inexpensive package. All the games on it will be free, at least to try.

Great games come from great developers.

Developers can wave farewell to the roadblocks of bringing a console game to market. Anyone can make a game: every OUYA console is a dev kit. No need to purchase a license or an expensive SDK. It's built on Android, so developers already know how it works.

That doesn't mean OUYA is an Android port. You can create the next big title in your bedroom – just like the good old days! Who needs pants!?

OUYA could change AAA game development, too. Forget about licensing fees, retail fees, and publishing fees.

Picture of the right side of the controller:

Basically, it almost seems like Ouya could be "Indie Games: The Console", though it could get big name titles, too (It said it already has a Final Fantasy title confirmed for it in one of the updates...)

I'm getting the impression that this could be something that's too good to actually happen.  It sounds promising, and I hope it succeeds, but at the same time, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Of course, it won't match the hype, nothing ever does, but it is still an interesting concept.  Kickstarter's already done.  Let's see where it goes.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet