Author Topic: I Think Russell Brand Is A Bozo...  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
I Think Russell Brand Is A Bozo...
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »
...In regards to not-voting.

Here's some articles to make my point.......
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/05/opinion/liu-not-voting-for-suckers/index.html
http://www.salon.com/2014/11/02/russell_brand_is_wrong_voting_really_can_change_america_for_the_better/
....these explain what I could've said.

Concerning Brand, I like him on certain issues, I loved it when he trolls holy rollers & bigots but he's WRONG about "Not Voting".

Oddly enough, he's half-right in regards to the corruption of politics but his remedy seems to be "REVOLUTION!". He's living in some weird fantasy world of a romanticized youth rebellion of Bolshevik/Arab Spring proportions. Never mind that such rebellions often lead to an even bigger totalitarian mess.

Sure, some things are rigged but countries like the U.S.A., U.K., Canada, etc. are not that far gone!

But if the majority doesn't get off their butts and vote, it WILL BE.......

Better a country run by mediocre but sane people than psychopathic fascists! If everybody voted, politics will eventually move leftward over time!

Marching & waving signs can only accomplish so much, man! Voting isn't perfect but it's all we got.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: I Think Russell Brand Is A Bozo...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:49:09 pm »
If we had more than one party, I might be more inclined to agree with you. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

And the greater of two evils is more evil.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:12:18 pm »

Speaking of which, I'd hate to be a White Nationalist.  They think both major parties are under the control of Teh Evol Joos, so trying to decide who to vote for is like choosing between methods of execution.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:06:41 pm »

I'll take your word for it. Being screwed by one party feels a whole lot like being screwed by the other. You'll excuse me if, from behind, I can't tell the difference?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:10 pm »
I'm not sure what you are getting at. If you think both parties are equally bad, why bring up "lesser of two evils"?
Σא

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:46:07 pm »
I find it slightly less depressing and annoying when Dems are the majority in Congress, or there is a Dem president. So, there is a slight advantage to voting the lesser evil.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:12 am »
I find it slightly less depressing and annoying when Dems are the majority in Congress, or there is a Dem president. So, there is a slight advantage to voting the lesser evil.

Agreed. The Dems may often be wishy-washy or mediocre but at least they're usually saner and usually support saner laws and such. At least they're more inclined to support laws supporting equal rights and a woman's right to choose.

Besides, if folks regularly voted in the saner party, over time, the political landscape will slowly become saner over time.

Change isn't instant....but you have to start somewhere.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:29 am »
Better a country run by mediocre but sane people than psychopathic fascists! If everybody voted, politics will eventually move leftward over time!

Australia would disagree with you as an example. There by law everyone must vote, but personally I have noticed the politics drifting towards a more conservative, hyper religious and bigoted government. However, I must add a disclaimer in that this is my perception of Australian politics and as I am not an Australian resident I might just be seeing newsworthy fringe outliers. Someone from Australia would probably be able to clarify.

As other have mentioned though the two party system is the probably the second most prominent problem with American politics, the first of course being money in politics. After all, it matter not who you vote for, they have all been bought by the 1%.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 03:22:37 am »

Australia would disagree with you as an example. There by law everyone must vote, but personally I have noticed the politics drifting towards a more conservative, hyper religious and bigoted government. However, I must add a disclaimer in that this is my perception of Australian politics and as I am not an Australian resident I might just be seeing newsworthy fringe outliers. Someone from Australia would probably be able to clarify.

As other have mentioned though the two party system is the probably the second most prominent problem with American politics, the first of course being money in politics. After all, it matter not who you vote for, they have all been bought by the 1%.

As for Australia; I think you're just hearing deceptive stuff about "fringe outliers". To think that an entire country with mandatory voting would suddenly veer sharp-right despite the generational tendency to become more progressive (older folks tending to be more conservative than youth) would be dopey. I think it's just the Corporate Media trying to ruin Progressive morale with "Everybody's embracing wingnuttery! B'wahahahaaa!".

Okay, lets suppose you're right. What do we do about it? You can say all you want of the gravity of the situation but if you don't propose, plans, strategies or solutions then it's meaninglessness & defeatism.

Perhaps, this is why I speak in moderate terms......because the alternative reads like an H.P. Lovecraft story and I won't accept that until someone proposes solutions.....after all, WE are the majority and THEY are just a few old rich guys in suits.

Boycotts? Infiltration? Hacking?

Anybody?

Someone should write a book with some hand-dandy tips on how to weaken The Machine. Other countries managed to do it. There was a time when Scandinavian countries weren't the bastions of stability, prosperity, Progressivism & freedom we know today & the "Gilded Age" has been squashed before.

Nothing is impossible. Every problem has a solution. The "Human Rights/Freedom/Progress/Modernity/Charity" genie has left the bottle & many have had a kiss of it. I doubt most folks want to go back to Medieval times.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:35:11 am by Barbarella »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:25 am »
Okay, lets suppose what Sylvana, Russell Brand or whoever says is right. What do we do about it? You can say all you want of the gravity of the situation but if you don't propose, plans, strategies or solutions then it's meaninglessness & defeatism.
Reality does not work that way. Discussing it does not make it "worse" except in the context of planning a solution. That's just fucking stupid, even by your standards. It's a pretty solid fact that both US politicians, both Republicans and Democrats, are far more beholden to donors than their constituents, and it stays just as solid a fact whether you acknowledge it or not.

Also, there are plenty of activist groups out there, online and offline. This forum is not one of them. I'm quite frankly amazed that you still haven't figured that out yet.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:50:38 am »
I know this is not an activist group, silly goose. I never said it was.

Besides, things in the States will turn around......
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/03/10/this-map-is-really-awful-news-for-racist-white-christian-conservatives-image/
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/03/10/support-for-same-sex-marriage-hits-an-all-time-high-heres-the-breakdown/
......slowly but surely, things will change.

Also, even if the Dems are influenced by the 1%, I doubt they are corrupted to the same extent as the GOP. With a few exceptions, the Dems seem a lot more reasonable. Sure, there's some Blue Dogs but the GOP is CRAZY!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 04:28:26 am »
I know this is not an activist group, silly goose. I never said it was.
Yet you're demanding people come up with solutions when they're merely discussing the issue. Again, if you're looking for activists, you're not going to find them here.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:54 am »
I'm not sure what you are getting at. If you think both parties are equally bad, why bring up "lesser of two evils"?

I do think they're both equally bad. The lesser part may come from these guy are bad this way, those guys that way. Or it could come from candidates. I like what she says, but there's no way she can do that.

The problem isn't really the parties. It's the process. Donors are a huge symptom of the problem. The political Pennsylvania Ave to K Street career path another symptom.