Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
If you ran over someones mailbox, who would pay for the damage? This is just an extension of that.

A mailbox is private property and its function is to receive mail. A guardrail is public property and its function is to suffer damage in a crash and protect lives; in other words a public service. Not directly comparable in my opinion.

What makes this case even more infuriating is that the guardrail was faulty and instead of diminishing the damage to the car and as an extension to the driver it penetrated the car causing her death.
The Lounge / Re: Things That Annoy You
« Last post by RavynousHunter on Today at 08:55:04 am »
I find it funny that the US has made defending the country voluntary, but has forcible jury duty.  Because fuck me if I want to pass this semester, I guess.  God damned barbarism.
Ignoring the heartlessness of this for a moment...in Tennessee you can be billed for something someone else did just because they're related to you? WTF?  Plus, things like that are paid for by taxes...which presumably the family pays so effectively they're being billed twice.

They actually billed the dead girl. In fairness, they also freely admit it was a big fuck-up to do that. My guess is that the accident didn't get flagged as fatal in the report so a repair bill was sent out or it was meant to go directly to her insurance company to deal with.

I wonder if the accident itself has the makings of a good negligence suit for the family.

Ok but even so,  the authorities billing accident victims at all??  Seems kinda messed up unless you can prove they did something criminal like drink driving or "driving without due care and attention" etc, in which case that's a court case and a fine, rather just simply being sent the bill for repairs.  I've never heard of anyone over here being billed for an accident (outside of a criminal prosecution resulting in a fine of course).  And I don't mean insurance excesses or anything like that either.  I've been in car accidents and never once thought "I hope the council doesn't make us pay for any of this".

If you ran over someones mailbox, who would pay for the damage? This is just an extension of that.
..But, if you die doing something illegal do you have to pay a fine and can your family be billed for it?

The issue is not "should people pay for damages?" The issue is "should famiies pyforthe debt of a dead relative?"
Ignoring the heartlessness of this for a moment...in Tennessee you can be billed for something someone else did just because they're related to you? WTF?  Plus, things like that are paid for by taxes...which presumably the family pays so effectively they're being billed twice.

They actually billed the dead girl. In fairness, they also freely admit it was a big fuck-up to do that. My guess is that the accident didn't get flagged as fatal in the report so a repair bill was sent out or it was meant to go directly to her insurance company to deal with.

I wonder if the accident itself has the makings of a good negligence suit for the family.

Ok but even so,  the authorities billing accident victims at all??  Seems kinda messed up unless you can prove they did something criminal like drink driving or "driving without due care and attention" etc, in which case that's a court case and a fine, rather just simply being sent the bill for repairs.  I've never heard of anyone over here being billed for an accident (outside of a criminal prosecution resulting in a fine of course).  And I don't mean insurance excesses or anything like that either.  I've been in car accidents and never once thought "I hope the council doesn't make us pay for any of this".

Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by davedan on March 28, 2017, 09:13:36 pm »
I just think that it is a shame that it is 2017 and they can't just say, you know what, I'd rather have sex with men than women. Happier times for everyone as long as the men they have sex with are each other.

Lots of people are attracted to trans women qua women, though. They might be also.

(like if you're attracted to men, why would your default action be to go for people who look as feminine as possible? It's not for plausible deniability, they are still calling us 'boys'. They might be chasers but I think chasers are usually straight)

Its more that they really seem to hate women...and in the end trans women are going to be women.
Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by Sigmaleph on March 28, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »
I just think that it is a shame that it is 2017 and they can't just say, you know what, I'd rather have sex with men than women. Happier times for everyone as long as the men they have sex with are each other.

Lots of people are attracted to trans women qua women, though. They might be also.

(like if you're attracted to men, why would your default action be to go for people who look as feminine as possible? It's not for plausible deniability, they are still calling us 'boys'. They might be chasers but I think chasers are usually straight)
« Last post by pyro on March 28, 2017, 05:05:45 pm »
Actually that's quite a good point.  If all the pro-gun people in the US and elsewhere argue they need guns for protection then perhaps they should move to somewhere less dangerous.

Nowhere is safe when They are out to get you.
« Last post by Eiki-mun on March 28, 2017, 01:17:42 pm »
Actually that's quite a good point.  If all the pro-gun people in the US and elsewhere argue they need guns for protection then perhaps they should move to somewhere less dangerous.  I know moving elsewhere is a big deal but to me it seems a more realistic and practical solution than just buying a gun and thinking you can Rambo your way out of a situation if the shit ever hits the fan.

I get where you're coming from here, but it misses a very important point. Moving IS a big deal, and not just emotionally or difficult to do, but financially as well. Speaking purely on a monetary basis, buying a gun and all the related, needed equipment and licenses and training (probably under 2000 dollars) is a hell of a lot less expensive, and therefore more practical from a financial standpoint, than picking yourself and your family up, getting all of your stuff packed up, finding a new school, getting the moving trucks, getting a new job (for both of you, if your wife/husband works), finding a new house, getting settled into the new house... if you have a family, that cost is going to explode and explode big. Even if you sell your old house you're still looking at many, many thousands of dollars piling up.
Forum Games / Re: Ask the next poster a question!
« Last post by Eiki-mun on March 28, 2017, 01:14:02 pm »
Because you, like everyone else, have an impulse control that just kinda randomly fails sometimes. Personally, I suggest turning it off and then back on again - but be careful where you turn it off.

Why is it that despite flying 4000 miles, being awake 21 hours and not falling asleep until 2 AM, then waking up at a normal time (8:30 AM), I feel oddly refreshed?
The Lounge / Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Last post by Katsuro on March 28, 2017, 11:10:31 am »
Where did my sodding avatar/profile pic for this forum go?  How longs it been missing?  Why didn't I notice before?  Did I ever have one?  Pretty sure I did.  Maybe I imagined it.  Maybe my whole life up to this point was imagined.  Oh myyyy gaaaawwwd!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10