Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by RavynousHunter on September 23, 2017, 04:39:16 pm »
He's basically a poorly-written wrestling persona let loose outside the ring.
Religion and Philosophy / Re: Christian News Network fundies
« Last post by Jocasta on September 23, 2017, 04:15:13 pm »
Can you tell the people here more about MM, by whom I assume you mean Michael Marcavage?  I don't know much myself but people might be interested in knowing a bit about the guy behind Christian News Network.
« Last post by RWH on September 23, 2017, 04:03:50 pm »
Jocasta,

I really appreciate your assessment on this issue.  I have mixed feelings about walking away from Christian News, but to me it represents a situation where the cards are stacked against us.    If MM is moderating the list, I can see where people like us don't stand a chance.  A simple rhetorical analysis reveals his biases even when he posts somewhat "neutral" topics.  Even the most bigoted people against Catholics still give the Pope the honor of being called by his proper name.  I shouldn't be so concerned, but this is bringing back memories of my ten years working for fundamentalist institutions where I got little pay but plenty of abuse.

I'm dealing with another issue which shouldn't bother me at all.  The dashboard lights on my new car aren't working properly.   I'm supposed to bring the car to the garage Monday since it is still under warrant.  It's a loose wire, I think, and the issue is bugging me.
Politics and Government / Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Last post by ironbite on September 23, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »
And feuding with sports stars.
« Last post by Jocasta on September 23, 2017, 03:02:05 pm »
Well, even in my personal life I am told on a daily basis by people that if they did what I do it would drive them crazy.  I totally get that, but this is my entertainment.  I find it satisfying to shoot them down with things the world knows to be true, and more satisfying when they attempt to crowbar some scripture into the situation to bolster their lousy arguments.

(shrug) I dunno.  FSTDT has been great because I'm not constantly told that I'm wasting my time by people here.  It hasn't FELT like a waste of time.  Especially every time it's led to getting to know someone who feels the same way I do.

I also think, and I think Sharon would agree, that quote-unquote real Christians would approve of what I'm doing.  I don't know why more of them don't speak out against the lunatics.
« Last post by Bob J. on September 23, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »

Don't the moderators realize that people like Amos provoke the others to become strident and ugly as the only means of defense.

I think it is exactly what the moderator(s) want for the website. The moderator(s) are in agreement with Amos, Jason, and mr goody.

Dialogs after banning look like,

Guest: Comment deleted
Amos: Ignored

Obviously this guest was an uncouth, foul-mouthed A-theist. Proof that the world needs to return to using the Bible as the sole textbook for public education and  the sole source for law.
« Last post by RWH on September 23, 2017, 01:40:14 pm »
I taught English at two fundamentalist Baptist colleges from 1976-86 (five years each).  In those places I learned how to keep my mouth shut because I saw that I could not respond to all the ugliness without getting hurt.  At both institutions, faculty members disappeared in the dark of night.  The leadership couldn't stand being challenged on anything.  I get the same read here.  People who seem to be complete strangers go in for the attack seemingly without provocation.   And they immediately stick labels on people without any clear warrant to do so.  I can tolerate that because I know how to hold my own ground.  It's just that the moderator(s) look the other way when this ugliness occurs, and those who fight back against these people are the ones who get banned.  If people like Amos were put down, the conversation would be so much more civil.  Don't the moderators realize that people like Amos provoke the others to become strident and ugly as the only means of defense.  Politeness gets someone nowhere.

I have enjoyed getting to know people, and this list has done me some good inasmuch as other see what is going on as well, and we comment on it, perhaps as a way of licking our wounds when we have to come up with the likes of Amos and others under all of their assumed names.
« Last post by Jocasta on September 23, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »
I recognize that I'm kind of a one-man band over at Christian News Network.  Every time they ban me, it just steels my resolve to get back in there and slap them right back.  I realize that makes me an anomaly, most of you understandably don't have the patience to continue to go back and keep battling the same weak arguments, the same bigotry, the same hate. 

When I first started submitting these things to FSTDT it was always so great to read the responses from people here and then when a few of you got involved over there it was even better. That goes back well over a year now, old names like The Last Trump and WorldGoneCrazy were regular submissions (the former was banned, the latter has confined himself to a pro-life channel).  I always thought we just needed a place to talk about them, then this forum happened.  So it's been great, but it's dispiriting when people fall by the wayside.

Que sera sera I guess.  I'll just keep plugging away. I hate to see the kind of bilge posted by Amos Moses go by unchallenged.  It seems important to me to call out the ugly face of Christianity. 

Maybe it's personal for me too...I work in an office in a church as my source of employment and after all these years only just discovered they are evolution deniers (which I had no idea was the case with Lutherans).  Which is sort of like finding out your boss is Kirk Cameron.
Science and Technology / Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Last post by Lana Reverse on September 23, 2017, 11:38:14 am »
The Department of Labor sued Google for discriminatory practices in January, Google boy does his brain fart. Then women file suit themselves. Good timing, he gave 'em some good ammo.

Google had been fighting against allegations of systematically underpaying its female employees in court prior to sacking him.

The initial lawsuit was initiated when the company didn’t turn over some requested data on employee compensation during a September 2015 audit

As said in your OP, multiple lawsuits, Lana.

If this is a work rights issue I'll side with the female employees, they want to get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. He's just an idiot!

Link's up there, I'll try to remember. Feel free to check the dates.

Again, what.

I say that because you said something completely different up above. This is what you said earlier:

What happened here was that there's a company embroiled in a labor dispute with some women employees claiming wage discrimination on the basis of gender. Some idiot puts on company letterhead that OF COURSE male employees are better than women...it gets out.

I don't see the labor department mentioned anywhere in your original post. Can you really blame me for not knowing what you were talking about?
« Last post by Sharon_at_home on September 23, 2017, 11:32:58 am »
Good to see you again Ambulance Chaser!! ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10