Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 710928 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • SOCIAL JUSTICE!!1!1
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10365 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:20 am »
Can't help you with that buddy.  You've got two choices though.  Learn to live with it and be forever annoyed or CHANGE THE UNIVERSE!

Ironbite-the latter is more satisfying btw.

Change the universe sounds good. BRB, making contact with Dagda.
I am offensively offensive. How Offensive!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10366 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:04 am »
My continuing arguments over Fallout setting have lead to people claiming to me that the US prison industry making profits is proof that it is economical for the Legion to capture slaves and work them to death...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • TIME JUDGED ALL!
« Reply #10367 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:23 am »
I"m sorry what?

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10368 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:29 pm »
...What the fuck?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10369 on: February 23, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
A power outage managed to find that split-second when my hard drive, despite my not actively using it, was writing, probably to virtual memory, before my UPS kicked in.

As a result my partition table was knocked out of whack, the drive won't boot (or even be recognized by the BIOS) and I have over 3000 bad blocks (of 490 million, but still), rendering one of the partitions unreadable (thankfully not one with anything I'd be particularly sad to lose). So now I have to hope that I can edit the partition table properly (via an external box on another machine) to get the drive bootable again, and then clone it to a new internal hard drive, because if I can't get the drive to boot, I'll have to get a new internal HD and reinstall the OS entirely.

EDIT: Well, after a few reboots, a false start due to a data cable getting in the way of the CPU fan, and some repairs with a Windows install CD, I got my old drive to boot. Now I just have to hope the clone goes off properly so that I won't be booting from a drive with bad sectors.

At least dd apparently won't clone a larger disk onto a smaller one using the command from the website I'm following, and the new internal HD I got is larger than the one I already have, both of which are larger than my laptop's HD, so I should just have to be careful not to overwrite my old HD with my laptop's data, as that would be a Very Bad Thing.

Augh, I hope this works.

EDIT #2: Hurrah! Except for some loss of data on my least critical partition (almost all of which was backed up elsewhere, and what little wasn't backed up isn't a big loss), I've got my desktop back up and running the same as before, except now my HD is twice as big.

Now to hope that another power disruption doesn't fry this drive...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:23:51 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • Got the moves like Viktor.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10370 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
When people mispronounce Latin.  It is skee-oh and wi-tray-uus, not sai-oh and vih-tree-uus.  (Foe 'scio' and 'vitreus,' respectively.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:12:56 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Mikasa Ackerman
If I win, I live.  If I lose, I die.  Unless I fight, I cannot win.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10371 on: February 25, 2017, 05:58:15 am »
When people mispronounce Latin.  It is skee-oh and wi-tray-uus, not sai-oh and vih-tree-uus.  (Foe 'scio' and 'vitreus,' respectively.)

I thought the "w" and "v" thing was debatable and/or had something to do with the difference between classical Latin and church Latin?  I seem to remember classical Latin had no "w" sound or something like that?  Or maybe it was the other way round, there was no "v" sound?

I know fuck all about Latin so I might be way, way off here.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10372 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:41 am »
It might be a Church (read: wrong) Latin vs Classical Latin thing, but the way I learned and am learning it, a v is pronounced like a w, j doesn't exist (it resolves to an i), and every c is a hard c.  So, you end up with pax (packs) per (pear) viria (wee-ree-aah) instead of how English phonetics would sound it out.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10373 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:22 am »
...j doesn't exist (it resolves to an i)...

Anything to do with Indiana Jones' "Jehovah is spelled with an "I"" bit?  Been years since I've seen that film so don't remember if Latin is involved at all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10374 on: February 25, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
Aye, I believe so.  Its not uncommon to see Julius Caesar rendered as Iulius Caesar, for example, and the two are pronounced the same way.  The one and only thing the Legion largely got right was the pronunciation of its Latin, especially Caesar.

Online Random Guy

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10375 on: February 26, 2017, 09:05:27 am »
GRAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!

Ok, some background to this. As you may know, my wife was arbitrarily assigned male at birth and transitioned a few years ago.

So she and I were at the mall yesterday having pizza. Some guy at the table next to us started loudly complaining about Democrats and liberals, but I figured it was just a side conversation and ignored it.

And then just as we got up to leave and hugged each other, some asshole who I strongly suspect was the same guy flung his soda at us from across the room, got us all wet, and ran out the door.

So we talked to security, who said they'd review the security footage but that if the jerkass wasn't on the property anymore they couldn't do anything. We then had to get everything cleaned off and our plans to take today off to go hiking had to be postponed as well.

EDIT: Given the angle he threw it from, he was probably aiming specifically for her.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:35:32 am by Random Guy »
Quote from: The_Queen
I have more pleasant things to focus my attention, time, and resources on than Gamergate or the Gamergate thread, such as pouring hot sauce in my eyes, lemon juice enemas, and imagining being eaten alive by fire ants.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • TIME JUDGED ALL!
« Reply #10376 on: February 26, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »
Wow assault just works wonders don't it?

Ironbite-threaten to sue and see how fast they cough up the footage.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10377 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:52 am »
I thought today was my day off. It wasn't. Which means I got to my workplace an hour late and the plans for the day ars slightly messed up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10378 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:13 pm »
The good news?  I think I figured out why my assignment isn't working.  The bad news?  I think I accidentally crashed my uni's CS server.  ...It was bound to happen, eventually.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10379 on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
Trying to book a one way trip to Austin Texas is apparently a horrible thing if my frustration in finding flights is any indication.