Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2058241 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10500 on: June 29, 2017, 04:50:49 am »
I remember I used to watch one piece years ago. Main thing I remembered was that the theme song was awesome.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10501 on: July 02, 2017, 11:35:35 pm »
GTFO of here with your shit, Tapatalk.  Nobody want you and nobody likes you, stop pimping yourself to me every time I come here on my phone.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #10502 on: July 03, 2017, 12:27:15 pm »
I would use it, except that I never managed to hook it up. This site is a PITA to operate on my phone (no mobile version), and at times my browser will flat out lock up trying to use it.

Please don't pimp yourself if you're not going to actually work.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10503 on: July 06, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »
This supposed Emilia Earhart photo.  It's literally a blurry, grainy, detail-less photo of the back of someone's head and a man whose face is almost entirely in shadow.  Can everyone stop treating this like it's anything, please?  Even Michael Schemer seems to be on board, although it's possible he was being sarcastic but I don't so. 

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10504 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
There was also an interview of an old woman who claimed that there had been a lot of talk in the Japanese POW camp where she lived about a pilot woman who was captured.

EDIT: People are way too upset about the next COD having women as soldiers and how that's not historically accurate. Also complaints about there not being swastikas in the multiplayer when it is done only so that Germans can play in the same multiplayer as everyone else.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:52:08 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10505 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:02 pm »
EDIT: People are way too upset about the next COD having women as soldiers and how that's not historically accurate. Also complaints about there not being swastikas in the multiplayer when it is done only so that Germans can play in the same multiplayer as everyone else.

Dude, if a lack of swastikas gets your nards in a knot, then you need to grow the fudge up.

Seriously, it's a game: enjoy it for gameplay, not its nazi iconography.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10506 on: July 07, 2017, 04:22:37 am »
There was also an interview of an old woman who claimed that there had been a lot of talk in the Japanese POW camp where she lived about a pilot woman who was captured.

Eyewitness and anecdotal testimony is notoriously unreliable and as such is considered basically worthless, scientifically speaking (as a side note, courts really should stop placing such high importance on witnesses.  It's been demonstrated time and time again that witnesses are unreliable, for a multitude of reasons)

But that's not really relevant anyway as my  point is really about this photo everyone's lost their shit over specifically.  It could literally be anyone in the picture.  Old woman or not, this picture is basically nothing.  Admittedly the man on the left does sort of look like he could be non-asian, but it's really hard to tell as most of his face is in total shadow and can't be seen.  The person with their back to the camera sitting down could be Earhart sure, but it could be anyone else too.  All you can say for sure is it's someone of a relatively slight build with short hair...like all the Japanese men in the photo.

Further more, were the Japanese of that era known for letting their POW's and other prisoners sit casually on the end of piers paddling their feet in public places, unshackled and without armed guards while they pose for photos?  The 1930's Japan I've heard about wasn't exactly well known for their kind, almost lackadaisical treatment of captives.  For that matter, does any country, ever, treat their prisoners like this? Especially foreign ones who, presumably, they assume to be spies?

And yeah, no one in the pic looks like military so you might say it's before they were captured.  But:

A) they weren't injured at all in the crash?

B) An American plane crashes in the Marshal Islands in the late 30's and the military aren't on the scene almost immediately?  Seems unlikely to me.

C) two Americans crash in the Marshall Islands in the late 30s and they just go and chill by the pier whilst someone takes photos?  Again, seems unlikely.  Or at least idiotic, and I don't think Earhart was an idiot.

This pic actually raises more questions than it answers and requires a lot of filling in the gaps with "well maybe...", which is not a good sign for "proof".

Of course this doesn't mean they died in the crash or that the, apparently many, locals who say they they were on the island are necessarily wrong.  I'm just saying this photo is not proof of anything either way and does not settle the matter.  It can, and should, be ignored: you need way way better evidence than this before drawing any conclusion.

Also, I don't consider marketing stunts for History Channel shows to be the best sources of evidence, call me mad.

Edit:  Turns out the Japanese have basically denied ever having Earhart in custody, or at least said they have no knowledge of it.  Seems odd for the current day gov to lie about it now.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:09:39 am by Katsuro »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10507 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:52 am »
Well, the Japanese government lies about a lot of the atrocities committed in the 30-40s so lying about kidnapping a few foreigners would not be much different. They are embarrassed about the crimes their ancestors committed and have decided to downplay or outright deny everything.

I do agree that this isn't 100% undeniable proof of what happened but unless someone finds her bones (and somehow proves that those really are her bones) people are going to speculate on what happened to her.

This is hardly the only mystery that people keep making new theories about.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10508 on: July 07, 2017, 09:51:27 am »
Well, the Japanese government lies about a lot of the atrocities committed in the 30-40s so lying about kidnapping a few foreigners would not be much different. They are embarrassed about the crimes their ancestors committed and have decided to downplay or outright deny everything.

Which has created quite a bit of acrimony between Japan and the rest of east Asia because Japan doesn't teach things like the Nanking Massacre.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10509 on: July 11, 2017, 12:43:26 am »
So, I'm debating a flat earther on Imgur (how come the air isn't moving at 1000mph if Earth is spinning????!!!?!?!?! and other gish gallop have been seen) and with a Neo-NAzi-apologist on Reddit ("I know they chant "Lugenpresse" but did you know that communists in East-Germany used the term as well so maybe they aren't Nazis, maybe they just hate the West???!?!??!?!!")

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10510 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:05 am »
My fucking Step Family.

Always its either "MAMA MAMA MAMA" followed by "CASSANDRA CASSANDRA CASSANDRA", or the little girl bawling at having to eat something not a brownie or something else sweet.

There's also my step-in-shit dad's questionable sentence structure (I cannot comprehend a word he says half of the time). They're just the most annoying bunch ever, and I always hear the arguing or crying at odd hours.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10511 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:15 pm »

This is hardly the only mystery that people keep making new theories about.

Yes, but this is the one that's currently doing the rounds, with even mainstream media and normally intelligent skeptical types touting this photo as definitive proof.  Which is why it's annoying me and why I'm talking about it - I'm hardly going to be annoyed by/talk about something that no one is currently discussing and hasn't been brought up in a meaningful way in years, I'm not mental.  Well I am mental but I'm not that kind of mental lol.  When some shitty History Chanel doc presents poor quality "proof" that "solves" some other mystery and that then starts being spread around by everyone, including normally sensible people, I'll be bitching about that one too don't worry.

Oh and a new development - turns out this "Earhart " photo was taken at least years before her disappearance:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/blogger-discredits-claim-amelia-earhart-was-taken-prisoner-by-japan

unless someone finds her bones (and somehow proves that those really are her bones) people are going to speculate on what happened to her.

I'm going off of memory here so I could by way off, but years ago didn't a female body wearing her clothes wash up on a beach somewhere in the area along with bits from the same type of plane she flew?  As I said, this is just some vague memory I have of reading something about it somewhere at some time, so I might be remembering wrong.  Probably am, my memory is shit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:10:39 pm by Katsuro »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10512 on: July 19, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
Hotels that pretend the 13th floor doesn't exist. I really hate it when people pander to superstitious dullards.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10513 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:19 pm »
I like to believe there is a secret 13th floor where the owners do all kinds of spooky occult shit - in part because the mundane answer just isn't exciting enough.

Okay so I love supernatural horror movies more than is probably healthy.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10514 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:27 pm »
Hotels that pretend the 13th floor doesn't exist. I really hate it when people pander to superstitious dullards.

Out here there's a high enough population of Asian descent that new buildings also omit the seventh floor, since seven is considered unlucky in those cultures.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.