Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2026417 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10365 on: February 25, 2017, 05:58:15 am »
When people mispronounce Latin.  It is skee-oh and wi-tray-uus, not sai-oh and vih-tree-uus.  (Foe 'scio' and 'vitreus,' respectively.)

I thought the "w" and "v" thing was debatable and/or had something to do with the difference between classical Latin and church Latin?  I seem to remember classical Latin had no "w" sound or something like that?  Or maybe it was the other way round, there was no "v" sound?

I know fuck all about Latin so I might be way, way off here.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10366 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:41 am »
It might be a Church (read: wrong) Latin vs Classical Latin thing, but the way I learned and am learning it, a v is pronounced like a w, j doesn't exist (it resolves to an i), and every c is a hard c.  So, you end up with pax (packs) per (pear) viria (wee-ree-aah) instead of how English phonetics would sound it out.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10367 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:22 am »
...j doesn't exist (it resolves to an i)...

Anything to do with Indiana Jones' "Jehovah is spelled with an "I"" bit?  Been years since I've seen that film so don't remember if Latin is involved at all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10368 on: February 25, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
Aye, I believe so.  Its not uncommon to see Julius Caesar rendered as Iulius Caesar, for example, and the two are pronounced the same way.  The one and only thing the Legion largely got right was the pronunciation of its Latin, especially Caesar.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10369 on: February 26, 2017, 09:05:27 am »
GRAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!

Ok, some background to this. As you may know, my wife was arbitrarily assigned male at birth and transitioned a few years ago.

So she and I were at the mall yesterday having pizza. Some guy at the table next to us started loudly complaining about Democrats and liberals, but I figured it was just a side conversation and ignored it.

And then just as we got up to leave and hugged each other, some asshole who I strongly suspect was the same guy flung his soda at us from across the room, got us all wet, and ran out the door.

So we talked to security, who said they'd review the security footage but that if the jerkass wasn't on the property anymore they couldn't do anything. We then had to get everything cleaned off and our plans to take today off to go hiking had to be postponed as well.

EDIT: Given the angle he threw it from, he was probably aiming specifically for her.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:35:32 am by Random Guy »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10370 on: February 26, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »
Wow assault just works wonders don't it?

Ironbite-threaten to sue and see how fast they cough up the footage.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10371 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:52 am »
I thought today was my day off. It wasn't. Which means I got to my workplace an hour late and the plans for the day ars slightly messed up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10372 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:13 pm »
The good news?  I think I figured out why my assignment isn't working.  The bad news?  I think I accidentally crashed my uni's CS server.  ...It was bound to happen, eventually.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10373 on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
Trying to book a one way trip to Austin Texas is apparently a horrible thing if my frustration in finding flights is any indication.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10374 on: March 07, 2017, 12:45:57 am »
"Peasant railgun" is not functional by Rules As Written!

Yes, you can pass items as a free action and this means that a group of people standing in a line can move a rock (or something) between them.

BUT there are few problems with "the last person who let's go of the item is launching a projectile at the speed of light!" claim...

When that last person let's go of the item it will simply drop to the ground at their feet. There is nothing in the rules about the item keeping momentum after it has been passed to you as a  free action after all. If the last person instead throws it then you just use the normal rules for thrown items.

But in theory if you can delay actions or use free actions when it isn't your turn you could make a fast delivery service. As long as you have people standing in a line.

...Which does mean that bucket lines in DnD are very effective at putting out fires.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10375 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:04 am »
Reminds me of supply heroes in Heroes of Might and Magic. Place a line of them between your castle and your main hero, and all of those reinforcements can be on the front line on the same turn that they spawn, with the units themselves covering around four or five turns worth of distance in the process.

As for things that annoy me, vaguely related tangents.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10376 on: March 07, 2017, 04:09:14 am »
If it was just rules lawyering then it would not be as annoying. Just an example of how the writers did not think of everything.

...Instead we get the sovereign citizen version where rules are misinterpreted on purpose or simply broken and claims that this is totally legit.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10377 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:41 am »
Cinema audiences who laugh at things that are neither funny nor meant to be funny, including at times scenes which are meant to be emotional or harrowing.  Does this happen elsewhere or is where I live just got a higher number of morons and psychopaths?  This isn't just  handful of people either, it's literally entire audiences.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10378 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:55 am »
Depends on the movie.  If the scene in question is overacted to hell and back, I can at least understand it.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10379 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:17 am »
Depends on the movie.  If the scene in question is overacted to hell and back, I can at least understand it.

But I'm not talking about that, because that would be a scene that is funny.  As I said before, I'm talking about scenes that are not funny and neither are they meant to be funny (I say also "not meant meant to be funny" because people will still laugh at supposed comedy that fails horribly either due to being idiots or due to some kind of awkward pitty laughter, either way I understand in that situation why the audience is laughing).

I'm talking about well acted, well written, effective, non-comedy moments where the audience reaction is completely at odds with both the intended and resulting tone.  I'm not talking about "so bad it's hilarious" moments, obviously I get why people laugh at that.  Although I've never seen such a movie in the cinema.  I've watched plenty on Netflix though, thank God for Canon movies and for Steven Seagal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:17:50 am by Katsuro »