Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2026933 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10380 on: March 14, 2017, 11:09:23 am »
On the subject of movies, I'm also annoyed, as I'm sure everyone else is by now, by the "it's for the fans" excuse for your film/show being shit.  Just...fuck right off.

pyro

« Reply #10381 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
But I'm not talking about that, because that would be a scene that is funny.  As I said before, I'm talking about scenes that are not funny and neither are they meant to be funny (I say also "not meant meant to be funny" because people will still laugh at supposed comedy that fails horribly either due to being idiots or due to some kind of awkward pitty laughter, either way I understand in that situation why the audience is laughing).

I'm talking about well acted, well written, effective, non-comedy moments where the audience reaction is completely at odds with both the intended and resulting tone.  I'm not talking about "so bad it's hilarious" moments, obviously I get why people laugh at that.  Although I've never seen such a movie in the cinema.  I've watched plenty on Netflix though, thank God for Canon movies and for Steven Seagal.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10382 on: March 14, 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
But I'm not talking about that, because that would be a scene that is funny.  As I said before, I'm talking about scenes that are not funny and neither are they meant to be funny (I say also "not meant meant to be funny" because people will still laugh at supposed comedy that fails horribly either due to being idiots or due to some kind of awkward pitty laughter, either way I understand in that situation why the audience is laughing).

I'm talking about well acted, well written, effective, non-comedy moments where the audience reaction is completely at odds with both the intended and resulting tone.  I'm not talking about "so bad it's hilarious" moments, obviously I get why people laugh at that.  Although I've never seen such a movie in the cinema.  I've watched plenty on Netflix though, thank God for Canon movies and for Steven Seagal.

So you're saying the scenes involving deep emotional anguish, misery, suffering and grief in Logan, for a recent example, can be subjectively funny?  I guess, if you're deeply broken inside at a fundamental level.  I mean do you not find people laughing at such things even the least bit...unusual? Isn't "inappropriate emotional responses" one of the defining characteristics of a sociopath? At the very least surely you can see why audiences laughing during such segments in such a film could be annoying?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:18:21 pm by Katsuro »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10383 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »
Maybe it makes them uncomfortable and that's how they respond to it.  Hell, its how I deal with discomfort.  Course, they may just think the scenes YOU feel are powerful and emotional are trying too hard to the point of hilarity.  What is the height of drama for one is narm for another.  Course, if they were being loud and obnoxious, then that's a definite breach of theater etiquette.

Its kinda like how I find the songs on the radio about how this guy's girl left him to be irritating, whiny, and overall pathetic when you may well find them powerful and moving.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:26:48 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10384 on: March 18, 2017, 06:33:43 am »
No it's definitely not because they think the scene is hammy, you can tell.  Nor is it due to discomfort, again you can tell - I'm familiar with uncomfortable laughter and this isn't it. Also NI people don't get uncomfortable (except me but I'm only half Northern Irish lol).  I'm also not sure people are understanding I'm not talking about a few individuals I'm talking about a massive percentage of the audience, and it happens in almost every film. This is the same type of audience, btw, that talk and check their phones during movies and who expect my 66yr old, walking-stick using mother to get up out of her seat and make way for them to get to a seat instead of just sitting literally anywhere fucking else.  They then inevitably half way through the film expect her to get up again so they can go for a piss.

I can also tell no one is quite "getting" me here and it's impossible for me to explain it, I think you need  to experience what I'm talking about to understand.  Like the Matrix lol .  So I think I'll have to give up as I have no red pills.  Though that does answer my initial question; it is peculiar to where I live.

Maybe posting a picture of a typical, average, NI person will help?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10385 on: March 18, 2017, 06:37:00 am »
On a different note, coz I've given up trying to explain the last one, I "love" it when you get a multiplayer ban because the game crashed.  It's great being penalised by a developer for their own shitty programming.

I know it's probably very difficult to make a game differentiate between a crash and you just leaving, but surely bans should be handed out based on patterns of behavior, not after a single disconnect?  Seems like it'd be a lot fairer.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10386 on: March 18, 2017, 07:16:11 am »
On a different note, coz I've given up trying to explain the last one, I "love" it when you get a multiplayer ban because the game crashed.  It's great being penalised by a developer for their own shitty programming.

I know it's probably very difficult to make a game differentiate between a crash and you just leaving, but surely bans should be handed outbased on patterns of behavior, not after a single disconnect?  Seems like it'd be a lot fairer.

The ban thing is rather heavy-handed; especially when you could just decrement a "good player" rating, instead.

As far as the pattern matching, that would be extremely difficult.  Its all to do with defining proper heuristics, because you're trying to quantify to a machine exactly what behaviours even are in the first place, let alone how to tell good ones from the bad ones.  If memory serves, your software doesn't even know why a disconnection happened; after all, it isn't like you have a connection with which to send along a reason code to the server. In the eyes of Friend Computer, all disconnects are the same.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10387 on: March 18, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

I know it's probably very difficult to make a game differentiate between a crash and you just leaving, but surely bans should be handed outbased on patterns of behavior, not after a single disconnect?  Seems like it'd be a lot fairer.

The ban thing is rather heavy-handed; especially when you could just decrement a "good player" rating, instead.

As far as the pattern matching, that would be extremely difficult.  Its all to do with defining proper heuristics, because you're trying to quantify to a machine exactly what behaviours even are in the first place, let alone how to tell good ones from the bad ones.  If memory serves, your software doesn't even know why a disconnection happened; after all, it isn't like you have a connection with which to send along a reason code to the server. In the eyes of Friend Computer, all disconnects are the same.

What about a certain number of disconnects within in a given amount of time? How many and in what period of time I don't know but there's got to be a better way than "one disconnect and BANNED!" even if it is only a temp ban it's still aggravating when it was the game's fault not yours.

I guess making stable games that don't crash is an alternative lol.  But I do appreciate how complicated modern games are and why you can't ever grantee it will never crash.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10388 on: March 18, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »
My stomach's being a cunt and I'm not even wasted.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10389 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:24 am »
The newest Shadowrun book introduces a new Mentor spirit called The Goddess...

ADVANTAGES All: +2 dice pool modifier for Instruction Tests. Magician: +2 dice pool modifier for Ritual Spellcasting Tests. Adept: 1 free level of Authoritative Tone.

The Goddess refuses to take a backseat to any male counterparts. Unless you succeed in a Charisma + Willpower Test (3), you will not take orders from a male, or if a male disrespects you, you must respond with equal measure.

Now people on the net are arguing whether this is a horrible caricature of feminists or "but feminists are like that though" or "but SJWs are like that though" although mainly the complaints are about how this is mechanically one of the worst Mentors merely by the negative side and the advantages aren't much good either. (You can make very effective magicians who don't even know any ritual spells. One of those is good to have and some others have situational use very rarely but most of the time those are useless.)

Then someone went and said that
So it locks you out of having polite conversation with 50% of the world

...Because no guy ever treats women respectfully? There was some debate but his point seems to be that if someone insults the character then the "firecunt" puts the entire party at risk by responding in fashion.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10390 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:23 pm »
If nothing else, it'd make diplomacy runs that much more interesting.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10391 on: March 20, 2017, 12:34:02 pm »
I can finally identify hunger!  After what  I can only assume is food poisoning, I can at long last distinguish between hunger and stomach cramps.  Praise the sun!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10392 on: March 20, 2017, 04:41:56 pm »
420 PRAISE IT!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10393 on: March 20, 2017, 07:10:09 pm »
Stomach's still a bit iffy, had 3 bad cramps, thus far today, but that's a hell of a lot better than it was on Sunday.  Thankfully, my professor was understanding and gave me an extension on a quiz that was due then because I was...really not in any state to do anything other than maybe watch shit on YouTube.  I've managed to eat and (thus far, at least) keep down normal food so, hopefully, this will all be over by tomorrow.  Knowing my body, it'll likely largely go away once I have a shit...because my body's weird like that.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10394 on: March 24, 2017, 09:15:29 pm »
That feeling when you have to completely, and I do mean COMPLETELY, redesign the fundamental data structure behind your current assignment because your current version had become incomprehensible and hard to debug.  The only silver lining is that the assignment isn't due for another week and, aside from that, I should be pretty much done with it, already.  It is still infuriating, though.

FUCK POINTERS.