Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2048521 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10515 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:31 pm »
Hotels that pretend the 13th floor doesn't exist. I really hate it when people pander to superstitious dullards.

Out here there's a high enough population of Asian descent that new buildings also omit the seventh floor, since seven is considered unlucky in those cultures.

I guess how many floors a society likes to pretend don't exist is a good measure of how multicultural it is. Naturally, anything less than four is a bigoted cesspool of shitlords and privilege most heinously unchecked.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #10516 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:03 am »
Hotels that pretend the 13th floor doesn't exist. I really hate it when people pander to superstitious dullards.

Out here there's a high enough population of Asian descent that new buildings also omit the seventh floor, since seven is considered unlucky in those cultures.

I guess how many floors a society likes to pretend don't exist is a good measure of how multicultural it is. Naturally, anything less than four is a bigoted cesspool of shitlords and privilege most heinously unchecked.
Well, at least you can't leave it to four since it's an unlucky number in China (because sì = four sounds a lot like sǐ = death). If you get to four omitted numbers you have to find a fifth one to avoid insulting our next overlords.

At the moment I'm annoyed by assholes in Rocket League. Yeah, dickheads in multiplayer games are nothing new but in game where team play is vital it really boggles my mind how fucking stupid some people's behaviour is. When a teammate starts verbally abusing his team it removes any cohesion that the team might have built and at least for me it takes away the interest to really even try 100% anymore. Why the fuck should I work for the benefit of an immature asshole who doesn't deserve it?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10517 on: July 20, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »
When your antivirus starts eating up all of your CPU time and the only way to stop it is to reboot.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Just Along For The Ride

• Neonate
« Reply #10518 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:52 pm »
Unwarranted use of the word 'obviously'.

Recently had this at my local doctor's surgery. I'd been waiting for the results of a test to come through for weeks, so went in to ask about it. The surgery has recently been redesigned so that the reception area no longer offers any privacy, which wasn't a good start.

I had a conversation with the receptionist that went something like this:

"Hi. My name's Justalongfortheride. I'm here to pick up some test results."

"What for?"

*Pause, then try to convince receptionist to look at my file so I don't have to say it out loud* "I'm sure it's under my name. Justalongfortheride. Do you need my post code?"

"Hmm... that's not how we file things here. What was the test for?"

*Looks dubiously at receptionist, then glances furtively around at waiting room half-filled with people* "Um..."

"Oh, I think I've found it. Justalongfortheride?"

*Starting to feel optimistic* "Yes."

"You had a test done for a fungal toenail infec-"

"-Yeah thanks. Yeah." *Sigh* "What are the results?" *Do they treat HIV+ patients like this too?*

"There isn't any infection."

*Well, that's a relief* "Right. Thanks. So why didn't you contact me to let me know that?"

"Well, because obviously you'd come in when we get the results back and we tell you."

"Obviously?" *looks at noticeboard next to reception, which is covered with leaflets etc. about what to do if you're elderly and want the flu jab, how to recognise white finger syndrome, etc. There's nothing there about getting test results* "There's nothing up there about it. What exactly about the process is 'obvious'?"

*Receptionist stares me out for a few seconds. I stare the receptionist out for a few seconds*

"Sorry." (said the receptionist)

*Walks out without saying anything else*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:38:09 pm by Just Along For The Ride »
Better to be sexy and racy
than sexist and racist

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10519 on: July 20, 2017, 06:10:01 pm »
When your antivirus starts eating up all of your CPU time and the only way to stop it is to reboot.

Hey speaking of which is there a good free antivirus or should I just pay Norton?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10520 on: July 20, 2017, 07:35:47 pm »
I use Avast.  It barely bothers me and stops malware as often as condoms stop babies.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10521 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:21 pm »
I use Avast.  It barely bothers me and stops malware as often as condoms stop babies.

I heard (on this forum) that Avast was spamming people with ads if they didn't pay for it.

So when I went back to my old computer, the first thing I did was uninstall Avast and install Avira.

I've also heard AVG is good.

One of those, Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy, along with some care in not going to obviously bad sites, is all you need.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10522 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:27 pm »
The reports are overblown.  I get about an ad a week, at worst.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10523 on: July 24, 2017, 02:24:44 am »
"A government powerful enough to give you everything you want is powerful enough to take everything you have."

I hate it when conservatives quote this as a reason not to do single-payer health care.

Because it seems they want a government big enough to take away people's rights to control their own bodies.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10524 on: July 24, 2017, 10:01:39 am »
I can throw quotes around, too!  Watch!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

HRM...

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10525 on: July 24, 2017, 10:18:41 pm »
Yeah, me too: "if at first you don't succeed, roll a joint and smoke some weed." -Claire Malone of FiveThirtyEight.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10526 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:09 pm »
"There's a very fine line between kinky and downright stupid" ~ Me

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10527 on: July 28, 2017, 01:04:26 pm »
There was a scoreboard on which countries in the world were the most/least stable. USA was not high and someone complained that the ratings were pure propaganda because USA being so old and armed with nukes is extremely stable.

...I pointed out that USA has many signs of instability. Like armed militias that want to take down the government. And even a governor who helped legitimize conspiracy theorist by saying that, yes president Obama was going to use the military to make himself dictator and said governor actually set his state militia to keep an eye on military excersise in case it was a cover up for a coming genocide.

Then the guy goes:

Yes, we're all heavily armed. Wouldn't that actually indicate a great deal of stability, considering that we aren't hearing about local governments being overthrown all the time? A 'few incidents' where almost no one got hurt besides the militias is not a sign of our impending doom.

I'm not saying we are stable, but armed militias is not evidence of anything besides America upholding its traditions.

...If it is a tradition to have an armed militia that is prepared to overthrow the government, then isn't that a sign that the country isn't stable if revolution is seen as a reasonable response to how the country is currently?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10528 on: July 28, 2017, 01:17:06 pm »
Funny thing about the Second Amendment:

It has nothing to do with being able to overthrow the government if the government got too tyrannical.

The original intent was that the federal government should not maintain a standing army, so at the end of the need for one the army would be disbanded and the soldiers released back to their states. In order that they could maintain readiness in case called on to serve again, they would be allowed to retain their firearms and form state-based militias.

The secondary reason was that some prominent slaveowners, like Patrick Henry and George Mason, were concerned that certain guarantees in the Constitution might be interpreted as banning slavery, or at least protecting the right of a slave to escape. So (I believe) Jefferson agreed that slaveowners could form armed militias to stop slaves from escaping.

Yeah. Barring standing armies and defending slavery. That's the Second Amendment for you.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10529 on: July 28, 2017, 01:25:09 pm »
Also, I am going to argue that 2nd amendment has been used to keep US citizens subservient more than it has been used as a deterrent to tyranny.

Someone trying to rock the boat? Hint that they are going to take away guns and the average voter will let you do whatever the hell you want.

Or if you want to take away guns from people just hint that black people are getting guns and the average voter will let you do any kinds of restrictions on guns and gun ownership.

EDIT: I gave him a list of the several hundred militias in his country and he goes:
So you didn't have a particular group in mind? We are very different from Finland. You may see militias as a very threatening and destabilizing force, and it might rightfully be so in your country, but such a thing is quite normal here.

Any type of revolutionary talk is almost always conditional upon government intrusiveness, like "if you try to take our weapons, we will resist". The number of people that actually want to overthrow the government in general is confined to the same tiny minority that you likely have in your own country.

This. Is. Not. Normal.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:50:14 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!