Author Topic: I'd like some politics on my Pizza  (Read 2322 times)

Distind

I'd like some politics on my Pizza
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »
Since that's about the last place I couldn't find any.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/pizza-parlor-giveaway-sparks-heated-debate-011043451.html

Pizza chain offers free pizza if you order in spanish. America apparently too lazy to use babel fish for free pizza. Some idiot acts like this was a political act, media picks up story.

But seriously, wish I had one of these places, it'd be the first time I'd actually used the spanish I learned in school since graduation. Just need to look up peperoni, mushrooms and black olives in spanish and I'm set.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: I'd like some politics on my Pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »
This was on Fark earlier.  The comments there seem to range between "This is fucking funny, why are people whining about this?" and "Welp, time to dig up my old spanish-english dictionary.  Free pizza? hell yeah!"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:08 pm »
Oy! The idiocy on display here is astounding.
-A Pen Name

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:23:53 pm »
So giving free pizza if you can order in Spanish is a political statement now?  People overthink things waaay too much.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:05 am »
Would the make a big deal if it was Italian? What about Swahili? Portuguese? Latin? Ancient Egyptian? What if a hot dog and sausage place gave away free bratwurst to anyone that ordered in German? What about a sushi place giving away free food if you order in Japanese? (or come in dressed as a ninja, I'd do it even though I don't find the idea of raw fish appetizing ;D)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:55:23 am »
Well... logically it should be Italian you could speak for free pizza... but... Pizza in the US is hardly anything like the pizza in Italy.  Still...

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:30:07 am »
Brilliant promotion.
Anyone politicizing this is an idiot. Given the prevalence of Spanish and Portuguese speaking nations that are in the same region as the US it would make sense for US citizens to learn those languages as second languages. Of course, this is under the assumption that American children these days manage to learn to speak English first. Some things I see on the internet make me weep for the younger generation.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:07 am »
"It seems to punish people who can't speak Spanish, and I resent that," Peter Thomas, chairman of the Conservative Caucus, says in the report. "In public areas, people should be speaking English, and that includes pizza parlors."

No. When you speak, you should use whatever language you and the person you are speaking with are most comfortable with. Whether or not you are in public or not. That is Freedom of Speech in its most literal sense.

Asshole.
-A Pen Name

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:49 am »
Una pizza con champiñones y aceitunas por favor.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:19 am »
It should be in ITALIAN!  ALLON-SY

I am drunk.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
At first I was thinking that whole vegetable debacle in Congress around a year ago.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:02 pm »
It should be in ITALIAN!  ALLON-SY

I am drunk.

allon-sy alonzo

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
The Republicans are starting to lapse more. They're letting bigger and bigger hints of the hideous racism in their party show.

Most Republicans are evil, racist people. I can think of nobody else who would side with such individuals.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »
*Open's a restaurant. Offers free side of gagh to anyone who orders in Klingon.*