Author Topic: My challenge to all fundamentalist Christians  (Read 13343 times)

Offline Joey

• Bishop
Re: My challenge to all fundamentalist Christians
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:52 am »
Not that I actually expect any fundie to poison themselves to prove a point to a stranger on the internet, but don't we have a rule against telling people to commit suicide?

Yes but according to the verse it wouldn't be suicide :-)
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 04:59:15 am »
Does not matter. Please do not suggest such things again. Thank you.

/Mod
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 08:59:10 am »
You do know, don't you, that there are churches in the US, particularly in Appalachia, that are based on these verses and actually do drink poison and "take up serpents."   Many have died from this practice, but their usual, expected response is, "Well, der, hate he's (she's) gone, but obviously he (she) didn't have enough faith."
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »
I was thinking poison ivy. Of course, the problem with poison ivy is that you can be immune. And allergic, but if I said calling the OP an invitation to suicide was a stretch, I'll be damned if I'm going to be held responsible when they're assassinated by a fucking leaf.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »
You do know, don't you, that there are churches in the US, particularly in Appalachia, that are based on these verses and actually do drink poison and "take up serpents."   Many have died from this practice, but their usual, expected response is, "Well, der, hate he's (she's) gone, but obviously he (she) didn't have enough faith."
I knew about snake handlers, though I hadn't hear of self-poisoners.
Σא

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »
I knew about snake handlers, though I hadn't hear of self-poisoners.

Oh, yeah.  There's been documentaries about them.  The poison takers are almost always snake handlers as well, although not all snake handlers take poison, IIRC.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:13 pm »
I second the idea of getting them smashed on some cheap, dime-store rotgut.  Failing that, we could always see if their god saves them from having a massive trip courtesy of some fine psilocybin mushrooms...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »
Also can't tell people to do anything illegal.

A rule which I blatantly broke on the old board by posting, & I quote, "Do something illegal."

I plan to up the ante on this board.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »
I don’t think I ever heard of the snake handler types until I got the Whistle Down the Wind soundtrack.
-A Pen Name

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
I used to be friends with a man who was a Snake Handling, poison drinking Christian/ Mulderite. For those of you who don't know what a "Mulderite" is... if you've ever watched The X Files, they believe that Fox Mulder really exists in another dimension and they follow his teachings. The hardcore Mulderites even believe it was no coincidence that David Duchovony was the one chosen by Chris Carter for the role.

Yeah, I'm open minded, but not THAT open minded...

Oh! More fun facts about this guy! He was also a member of the modern-day version of the Heaven's Gate Cult. He made a fake facebook profile and used it to stalk me for almost a full year after I had cut off ties with him. It wasn't until we started talking again in rl that he admitted what he had done. Then there was the time he pretty much faked his death to see how my family would react to the news...

That guy was a piece of work and I'm just happy he no longer has a way of contacting me.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
Also can't tell people to do anything illegal.

There are still a few bastions of freedom where psilocybin mushrooms aren't illegal.  In the spirit of not telling anyone to break the law, those are the *only* places they should eat em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_psilocybin_mushrooms

Brazil
In Brazil, where at least Psilocybe cubensis and Panaeolus cyanescens psychedelic mushrooms grow naturally, only psilocybin is listed, but not the fungal species themselves. The Federal Constitution says that an act must be previously stated as illegal by a law. So, psilocybian mushrooms cannot be considered illegal themselves. There are also no legal jurisprudences available on the topic. Ayahuasca religious usage is authorized, so sacramental mushroom use is expected to fall under the same protection.

I'll become a fundamentalist if someone takes me to Brazil and eats 5g dried cubensis* without tripping (as indicated by dilated pupils, can't fake that).  Also, 5g for me, to *ahem*... test... whether they're real or not.  All perfectly legal, of course, because it does fall under the category of religious practice :)  The price of anyone's salvation SHOULD be worth any earthly price, like, oh I don't know, the price of a plane ticket to Brazil.

*perfectly safe, LD50 is something ridiculous like 500g.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:31:35 am by StallChaser »

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »
Never underestimate religion's power to hoax your pants off.

You might be able to fake dilated pupils with some sort of contact lens.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »
Never underestimate religion's power to hoax your pants off.

You might be able to fake dilated pupils with some sort of contact lens.
Yeah, but if you're watching them so they can prove it to you, you'd notice them putting in contact lenses.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:48 pm »
You could always restrain them...claiming some kinda kinky BDSM hallucinogen-play.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »
You could always restrain them...claiming some kinda kinky BDSM hallucinogen-play.

But that's of t3h d3bbi1!
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.