Author Topic: Anonymous takes on SOPA supporters  (Read 5847 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Anonymous takes on SOPA supporters
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 03:46:23 am »
...I'm going to stop talking to you about anon because you obviously just don't get it.

Ironbite-they're an amorphous blob of internet users, not some sinister conspiracy that is plotting to contaminate our precious bodily fluids

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:30 am »
You typed "apart" instead of "a part". He was making a joke, chill out
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:04 am »
Ibbs, "a part" is not "apart". Do note the difference.

See? DasFuchs gets it.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 06:45:57 am »
SOPA has been debated in congress for, what, two months now, and anon are getting up to their usual tricks now? Are they just getting lazy, or simply falling out of vogue and losing active and competent members in the process?

I don't really see what the tactical advantage of doing it two months ago would have been. Stepping up now sets up a sort of October Surprise effect that keeps it in the news in the lead-up to the vote, although really the vote's about a week away, so they're probably still a little early.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 07:58:27 am »
I'm going to derail this little Anon-related tangent, and address the facepalming on the previous page.  I fully concur with that.  These Congressional aides--as well as the rest of the 1% of the 1%--live in their own little societal bubble.  Much like those who, when Hurricane Katrina struck, asked why those who were killed or left homeless didn't simply pack up and drive to somewhere safer, they honestly don't seem to grasp the concept of things not being quite that simple for ordinary people::)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:29 am »
This is just hilarious.

Another reason to use this tactic rather than lobbying: To get at the people who are hiring the other lobbyists, rather than just at Congress.
-A Pen Name

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:15 pm »
Hell, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these fucktards put out billions of dollars to have people try to e-arrest anons. "We've got his IP...but there's no one listed?" You dumbasses do realize IPs can be spoofed, right?
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:30 am »
Hell, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these fucktards put out billions of dollars to have people try to e-arrest anons. "We've got his IP...but there's no one listed?" You dumbasses do realize IPs can be spoofed, right?

[fox news internet expert]
But an IP address is a perfect 1:1 identification of someone, like a tube that connects people directly to the cyberworld and you can DNA test it or something.
[/fox news internet expert]

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:46 pm »
SOPA has been debated in congress for, what, two months now, and anon are getting up to their usual tricks now? Are they just getting lazy, or simply falling out of vogue and losing active and competent members in the process?

I don't really see what the tactical advantage of doing it two months ago would have been. Stepping up now sets up a sort of October Surprise effect that keeps it in the news in the lead-up to the vote, although really the vote's about a week away, so they're probably still a little early.

I think you give Anonymous too much credit. They don't even have any leadership whatsoever, much less organisation. Any sort of tactics on their part is almost certainly beyond their abilities.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »
I'm going to derail this little Anon-related tangent, and address the facepalming on the previous page.  I fully concur with that.  These Congressional aides--as well as the rest of the 1% of the 1%--live in their own little societal bubble.  Much like those who, when Hurricane Katrina struck, asked why those who were killed or left homeless didn't simply pack up and drive to somewhere safer, they honestly don't seem to grasp the concept of things not being quite that simple for ordinary people::)

"Let them eat cake"
                              -Attributed to Marie Antoinette

I have a feeling that if SOPA/PIPA passes anon will rip the government a new one in ways we can't even imagine. (The launch controls for nukes aren't linked to any kind of network are they?)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:25:20 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »

I think you give Anonymous too much credit. They don't even have any leadership whatsoever, much less organisation. Any sort of tactics on their part is almost certainly beyond their abilities.
Because the worldwide protests against Scientology never happened.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »

Because the worldwide protests against Scientology never happened.
Was that the same leadership that organises all of their other activities, or was it just multiple different, independent protests who called themselves "Anonymous", wore Guy Fawkes masks and pretty much disbanded as soon as they were bored with it?

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:07 am »
De-facto leadership by a few people with an axe to grind is different from an actual organized control structure.

Hollywood/MAFIAA:  H-h-how DARE they protest our taking away of their free speech when we paid GOOD MONEY for that!