Author Topic: Oh holy gods, my pelvis is crying...  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
Oh holy gods, my pelvis is crying...
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
That this was going on three years after I was born in a First World country is reprehensible.

http://jezebel.com/5960663/irish-doctors-used-to-break-womens-pelvises-so-they-wouldnt-miscarry

Ever heard of symphysiotomy? Probably not; my spell check doesn't even know what it is. But it's a painful surgical procedure which involves breaking a woman's pelvis during childbirth that sounds like an ancient torture method but was once an alternative to Caesareans used in maternity hospitals across Ireland in the 20th century.

When members of the Survivors of Symphysiotomy (SOS) met in Dublin yesterday, they were able to recognize each other thanks to the "signature limp" survivors have. (Other less visible related problems include chronic back pain and incontinence.) Group members, many of whom are in their 70s and 80s, say that the operations were carried out without the women's consent "mainly for religious reasons, by obstetricians who were opposed to family planning." Huh; sounds horrifyingly familiar.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. I'm just... fucking horrified. My pelvis is practically weeping. I don't... Jesus fuck. I'm Irish stock (mostly Scottish though) and this is enough to... Congratulations, Ireland, you made the autistic Norse pagan who laughed at 'Cupcakes' inarticulate.

And so help me gods, if anyone is not horrified by this, you're a bigger monster than anything Edgar Allen Poe ever came up with.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
Re: Oh holy gods, my pelvis is crying...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:08:42 pm »
Ohgodfuck, why did you post this?
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »
One more reason to be glad the Irish part of my family decided to move to Australia.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:13:35 pm »
I came across it at Pharyngula and felt I needed to share my horror. I shared it at Facebook too.

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:19 pm »
Half my heritage, what the fuck?
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »
And when I thought only one half my ancestry had crazy in it.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:19:19 pm »
From one of the comments in the article:

I'm surprised that the article doesn't mention the awful reason that this procedure was done instead of a C-section.
From the Irish Times: "They viewed symphysiotomy (wrongly) as a gateway to childbearing without limitation, seeing Caesarean section – the norm for difficult births – as morally hazardous, capping family size and leading to sterilisation and contraception. Symphysiotomy was promoted as permanently widening the pelvis, enabling an unlimited number of vaginal deliveries, whereas four C-sections was widely regarded as the maximum for safety."
They subjected women to horrible, lifelong pain, disabling many of them for life because they thought that doing this would lead to them having more babies. Woman=Incubator.
Assholes.

In the end, if you're a woman, all that matters is how many babies you can pop out.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:15:03 am »
I was hit by a truck a few years ago which broke my left femur and fractured my pelvis.  During my first few days in the hospital I felt fine due to morphine however, after I complained the morphine was giving me odd feelings in my stomach region then switched me to hydrocodone.  I assume, the morphine they were giving me was a higher dose then the hydrocodone, as I was soon feeling pain from my pelvic region after the switch however my broken femur didn't bother me at all.  It got fun when I was placed in rehab.

After two weeks, I was transported to a rehab center named Seapines and proceeded to have the most pain filled two weeks of my life. My first day of physical therapy required them to pile three pillows under my ass for me to even sit on the bed-board they wanted, even under hydrocodone(My physical therapist even said she was surprised how alert I was while taking it, don't know if they gave me a higher mg then usual or if she was just going off the majority of the patients in the place which were elderly).  If you can imagine the worst pain of your life for a fraction of second every time you attempted to sit up or sit down that's basically how this was. After a week, when they allowed me to hop on my good leg with the use of bars, the act of hopping would almost cripple me to the floor.  After each of these sessions, I would call in a nurse every fours to give me another pill(they told me it had to be at least four hours between each) until the constant pain dulled down enough for me to sleep and then wake up and do it again for another day. I did this for two weeks, was released to go home, spent another week and a half laying around until the pain was controllable enough for me to walk around with crutches without fear of collasping in a shit fit.

And this was simply a fracture.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:26 am »
Holy fuck, syaoranvee, my pelvis is weeping copiously at your description.

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »
Sweet fucking Jesus fuck...  :o

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:09 pm »
So can anyone tell me what the medical reasoning behind this process was?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »
If this was based on religious belief, that makes it right.  Right?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 05:45:47 pm »
holy fuck! i googled it.. i wish i didn't.. holy fuck!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:48:18 pm by Iczerfour »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:06:29 pm »
So can anyone tell me what the medical reasoning behind this process was?

I posted it in my first comment.  According to the commenter, they thought that breaking the pelvis widened it, allowing women to have more children, while c-sections could hurt the chances of more successful pregnancies.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:47:54 am »
Dear lord, and I had thought there wasn't anything worse that episiotomy.