Author Topic: Wikipedia still going dark over SOPA  (Read 17381 times)

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
Wikipedia still going dark over SOPA
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:12:41 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/popular-websites-dark-over-sopa-controversy-174211626.html

On Twitter, Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, confirmed that all of Wikipedia's 3.8 million English-language articles will be unavailable from midnight Eastern time tonight until midnight Wednesday. Anyone who visits the site will be redirected to a banner that reads "The Internet must remain free." Also joining Wikipedia in going black are Reddit, Minecraft, Craigslist, and Boing Boing, among others. Craigslist has posted a message at the top of its city homepages with a link to "help put a stop to this madness" of SOPA and PIPA.

I, for one, applaud them for not lowering their guard and only wished sites like Google and Facebook were brave enough to do the same.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Wikipedia still going dark over SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »
A day without Facebook would be much, much better than a day without Wikipedia.
Σא

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:21:59 pm »
A day without Facebook would be much, much better than a day without Wikipedia.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  Mark Zuckerburg can hear you!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:33:44 pm »
Looks like over 7,000 sites plan on shutting down in opposition to SOPA/PIPA. In addition, many smaller blogs and social groups (Occupy Facebook pages, Skepchick, The Chive, etc.) plan on going silent for the day as well, with other sites, like the Cheezburger Network remaining online while changing their home pages to information about SOPA and where to find petitions against it.

While I doubt that this will have any real affect, it's nice to see so many large names taking a stand against these bills.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »
I just want to know what sites I have to worry about.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »
I am still not convinced it is enough. Especially if it is only lasting one day.
-A Pen Name

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »

While I doubt that this will have any real affect, it's nice to see so many large names taking a stand against these bills.

You never know. People are funny. You can take away their personal liberties via the Patriot Act and few of them will blink. But you better not dare to mess with their internet time.

And do you know how many people panic when their favorite website goes down for even one day? They are giving the users a taste of what life under SOPA could be like.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »
Yeah, all the little people are being affected and running around for one day. It’s getting their attention for that day. But is it getting the attention of the people who are actually passing the law? I doubt it.
-A Pen Name

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
I'd like to believe people will act in their own best interest, even if we can not get them to act in the best interest of others, instead of standing around like sheep.

We are supposed to be a republic, I'd hope enough emails and phone calls would send the message. We put them there to represent us, so represent us and not the lobbyists. I'm all for copyright owners protecting their property, but there must be a better way to go about it.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:28 pm »
I'd like to believe people will act in their own best interest, even if we can not get them to act in the best interest of others, instead of standing around like sheep.
Oh, people are great at acting in their own short-term best interest. But once their short term problem has been solved (in this case: Can’t get on Wikipedia), they are not very likely to continue doing much about it.

We are supposed to be a republic, I'd hope enough emails and phone calls would send the message.
How many of the e-mails do you think will actually go to the Congress, versus the number that will be going to Wikipedia just to complain? I think most of the people likely to actually write Congress are already aware of the issue. Of course, it never hurts to scrape up a few more people to the cause. Every little bit helps.
-A Pen Name

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 11:45:42 pm »
Exactly. If a hundred people learn something new tomorrow about SOPA I'd count this as a success.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:37 am »
Yep wiki is out for now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthogenesis

and here is Google's homepage:

"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Napoleon the Clown

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:23:46 am »
I'm still highly amused people think that those with the ability to do anything about SOPA and PIPA will give a shit.

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:28 am »
I just clicked onto one of my favorite webcomics and saw this:

Edit: QC is on the bandwagon too. Linked cause only one semi large image per post. http://www.questionablecontent.net
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:34:48 am by rosenewock21 »

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:33 am »
I'm glad so many big websites are getting on board, SP is one of the biggest webcomics out there.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.