Author Topic: Gun ban for felons in Louisiana declared unconsitutional  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Gun ban for felons in Louisiana declared unconsitutional
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »
...because of a new state law passed by voters that considers gun ownership a "fundamental right." It was done by a NOLA judge.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_judge_rules_statut.html

Behold the law of unintended consequences in action. I'll get the popcorn and withhold my opinion for now, except that this should end well. [/sarcasm]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Gun ban for felons in Louisiana declared unconsitutional
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:31 pm »
...goddamn it ugh I already fear getting shot here now this crap.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
Guns a right, Healthcare not a right, ok.....
I've come across many a libertarian who think banning gun sales to ex-felons is wrong. That being said I do think they should have that re-established only after a probational period based on what they served time for, and have proven that they can be trusted with such privilege. I overall hate the whole owning a gun is a "right" stuff, it really isn't, it's like saying that  car ownership should be "right".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:06:16 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »
I'm actually split on this issue. On the one hand, I want to facepalm, but on the other I find it is important to remember that not all felons are felons as a result of a violent crime. So, I suppose that when all is said and done, as long as the crime they committed isn't a violent one, I'm fine with them regaining their Second Amendment rights once their sentence is up.

I suppose I'm of the opinion that before we strip a person of their constitutional rights, they have to be convicted of something bad enough to warrant losing that right. Breaking into a car for example (a violent felony under Louisiana law) is not bad enough to warrant revoking a person's constitutional rights.

Also, Empress Nicki, I agree with the sum of what you say, but not your use of the word "privilege." Firearm ownership is not a privilege in the USA, it's a right guaranteed in the constitution. You may not like it, but it is a right. But I agree with you in that, considering the responsibilities inherent in firearm ownership, a probational period for non-violent ex-felons, would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:10:06 pm by Damen »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:00 pm »
Depends on the non violent felon  I do not want white collar criminals with guns just to spite them in general most felons are either violent or the non violent is in such demand.
Also Damen sorry just that exact logic is used by this asshole in class and I get not well (sorry not you personally just there was this time when I told him no calling Cuomo a facist cause I was having anexity attacks his response first amendment.  And btw that logic doesnt apply to voting
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:14:05 pm by kefkaownsall »

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:02 pm »
Depends on the non violent felon  I do not want white collar criminals with guns just to spite them in general most felons are either violent or the non violent is in such demand.
Also Damen sorry just that exact logic is used by this asshole in class and I get not well (sorry not you personally just there was this time when I told him no calling Cuomo a facist cause I was having anexity attacks his response first amendment.  And btw that logic doesnt apply to voting

Inform him that the First Amendment guards against government reprisals for what he says but that doesn't stop you from calling him a shithead nor does it make his argument immune from criticism.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:43 pm »
He is a Paultard so that won't work.  Also he shows up everyday wearing NRA shirts and he called one gun nut too far left for wanting more background checks.
As for why white collar criminals deserve punishment.  To be honest they get so much slack already

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:23 pm »
Also, Empress Nicki, I agree with the sum of what you say, but not your use of the word "privilege." Firearm ownership is not a privilege in the USA, it's a right guaranteed in the constitution. You may not like it, but it is a right. But I agree with you in that, considering the responsibilities inherent in firearm ownership, a probational period for non-violent ex-felons, would be a good idea.
It's a constitutional right, but those rights do have limits.

"Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." -Justice Scalia, D.C. v. Heller (2008)

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:27 pm »
I never once said it should be unlimited. I merely pointed out that eliminating the constitutional right of all felons regardless of their crime is something I don't agree with and should be limited to convicted, truly violent felons.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »
Example of white collar felon who should not get his gun rights back was this politician who laundered money and then says he needs it to live

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »

I know it is, that's where I think the founders went wrong, personally. But it's said and done, and only thing that can be really done without infringing on the said "right" is to have some conditions that the person should meet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:42:47 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 11:35:37 pm »
I know it is, that's where I think the founders went wrong, personally.

I suppose this is one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on.

But it's said and done, and only thing that can be really done without infringing on the said "right" is to have some conditions that the said person must meet.

My agreement or disagreement would depend largely on what those conditions are.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:45:41 pm »
So, will the felons get back their right to vote, too? And will they also be vulnerable to the draft (like it matters, but yeah)?

Since more than 2/3rds of felons were jailed for drugs, mostly without violence involved in their original charges, I can see this to a degree. But is it really across the board? All felons get their gun rights reinstated? Cause that ain't a great idea.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:55:26 pm »
I know it is, that's where I think the founders went wrong, personally.

I suppose this is one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on.

But it's said and done, and only thing that can be really done without infringing on the said "right" is to have some conditions that the said person must meet.

My agreement or disagreement would depend largely on what those conditions are.

1. I'll be more than happy to agree to disagree with you, my attitude towards guns in general is"I don't care what you own, as long as you're not a jackass about"I just dislike when people act as if guns are more important than people having access to more important things in life like healthcare. As I said, what is done is done, you really can't do much about the establishment of the 2nd Amendment now after 200 + years, especially with it so ingrained in our culture, and fighting about it just adds more fuel to the fire. Also it's tiny compared to some of the horrible stuff that went on in the past, it's better to just steer in in a better direction rather than get rid of it. I can live with it, it's not like everyone has a right to own a slave.

2. The conditions are the same of what we have now. Not that much of a change other than maybe some training classes of some sort, like what you have suggested in the past with incentives for people to attend them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:07:09 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:11 am »
1. I'll be more than happy to agree to disagree with you, my attitude towards guns in general is"I don't care what you own, as long as you're not a jackass about"I just dislike when people act as if guns are more important than people having access to more important things in life like healthcare.

From my point of view, I think there are more important things in the world than gun-control/gun-rights. Universal healthcare, free higher education, a minimum wage that's tied to the cost of living. Things like that rank higher on my list of priorities.

2. The conditions are the same of what we have now. Not that much of a change other then maybe some training classes of some sort, like what you have suggested in the past with incentives for people to attend them.

Well, we do have a lot of taxpayer funded facilities already that are used for firearms training. Police and military installations, for example. I still want to see them open to the public for citizen firearm training. Maybe even federally subsidize self-defense courses so there can be free classes a few times a month.

If I could get free training I'd be the first in line with my firearms for it.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen