Author Topic: Bizarre Societal Memes  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Bizarre Societal Memes
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:35:25 pm »
Okay, so society is growing, but at the same time there's a lot of really stupid ideas that hold out in our society that are bizarre and baffling.

When I talk about "bizarre societal memes" I mean ideas that spread throughout our society that have no rational basis.  One good one is "girls don't play video games and they must be unattractive nerds if they do."  Some other good ones are "healthy is gross" or "bacon because we don't like vegetarians."  One that particularly confounds me is "math is poopy and stupid."

I'm having more trouble conveying what I want to say than I should, but I guess my central theme is "stupid ideas society holds about various subjects."
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
Re: Bizarre Societal Memes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »
But....math IS poopy and stupid. Especially Calculus.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

I like math as long as it's not geometry. Fuck that "proofs" shit.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »
I don't know of anyone who eats bacon because of vegetarians. I just know a lot of people who think vegetarians are crazy for not eating bacon.

However, to build on your girls and games thing, really society as a whole still seems to have this mindset that video games are for kids and dorks, despite the fact most people's grandparents have a Wii by now. I mean, video games now beat out movies and music in America's entertainment industry, yet are still looked at as something people are supposed to grow out of. Nevermind the fact that eSports are now such a huge deal that there are professional game players, who make their living playing video games.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
I need a glove to slap you with and then challenge you to a duel. Flux integrals at dawn.
Σא

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:51 pm »
I wonder how long it'll be before people grow out of the anti-video games mindset, and what will replace it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »
I'm going to stand on the side of 'MATH IS POOPY AND STUPID'. I don't like math. I don't even write numbers if I can possibly help it, and type out the word (like 'seven' or 'eighteen') more than the digits ('7' and '18').
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »
I hate math I hate it to the umpteenth power I hate math so much that I despise my race (Arabic) cause they help invent a form of mathematics that I will always hate...algebra.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:26 am »
I don't mind math since I'm pretty good at it and love science, but I do agree with the gamer thing.  It BAFFLES me that games are still in this day and age shown in such a negative light in general, and especially so in the media.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:06 am »
dont you see, all these games are about is catching those dots and avoiding ghosts. why are today's games about shooting and kicking? wait, girls play video games? even grown men? I thought those were for kids?

Proof that anyone born before 1960, and played more games than Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers and whatever "mainstream" and utter accessible game doesn't know shit about gaming.

And don't get me started with this "girls don't play video games" trash, back in the Pac-Man days, a woman designed Centipede, so gaming has never been exclusively a "Men's Only Club."* Okay, rather than the whole "sex-sells" thing starting with Tomb Raider and the alienation of women because since then most video games were targeted for heterosexual and/or testosterone-poisoned men. This is why I'll never get into not only the Tomb Raider series, but also games like the Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty series (let alone the third series featuring bullshit "realism" and the maiming of enemies based on one Muslim ethnicity or another makes me gag). I just don't like video games that are "manly" or objectifies women, even if they actually kick ass instead of are just there for the player's enjoyment.

(Yes, I'm a feminist. Why, what the hell is wrong with supporting gender equality?)

*Oh, yes. I should also mention the Japan-only Sega Saturn cult-classic Napple Tale, whose entire development team were women.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:07:20 am by Alehksu Kihdo »

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:39:04 am »
I find maths boring, but I have no skill at all for working stuff out in my head.

I really don't get the anti-vegetarian stuff unless they are preachy. I hate it when there is a vegetarian person on Come Dine With Me and they cook a vegetarian meal, and all the other contestants start whining and moaning like little bitches, because they had to go one meal without eating meat.

The anti-video games thing doesn't make much sense to me either, but I think that's just because they are relatively new.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:57 am »
The idea that men shouldn't knit because it's a woman's job (go tell the lumberjacks who knit their own socks that they're doing something girly.  I dare you.)

This whole idea that if you don't like sports, there's something wrong with you.  Especially football.  Especially in Wisconsin.

The whole idea that for men, PHYSICAL LABOR RAAAGH is more important than mental pursuits.

How, apparently, video games are not a 'legitimate' hobby.

Beards are awesome, except when you need to get a job, even when said job is outside of the food service industry.

Working at McDonald's means you're a lazy failure at life.  ??? Lazy?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

wrightway

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »
The idea that anyone with a mental illness is dangerous no matter what the record.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:00:14 pm »
"Math is Poopy and Stupid"?? Ok, I never heard that one, that being said that sounds like something a 2 year old would say, and this coming from someone who HATES math.

One meme that annoys me is the whole "Geek/Nerd girls can't be pretty or feminine"bs, sorry I'm an uber star wars geek/nerd and I'm a member of many other fandoms, and love to play with makeup and all that girly girl stuff.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »
I hate math I hate it to the umpteenth power I hate math so much that I despise my race (Arabic) cause they help invent a form of mathematics that I will always hate...algebra.

Yeah, but an Arab (well, maybe a Kurd) invented robots.

And Daft Punk.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.