Author Topic: Apparently China thinks Okinawa belongs to them  (Read 4081 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Apparently China thinks Okinawa belongs to them
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:23:21 pm »
I don't even know what to say.

China's top newspaper on Wednesday published a call for a review of Japan's sovereignty over the island of Okinawa -- home to major US bases -- with the Asian powers already embroiled in a territorial row.
The lengthy article in the People's Daily, China's most-circulated newspaper and the mouthpiece of the ruling Communist party, argued that the country may have rights to the Ryukyu chain, which includes Okinawa.
The island is home to major US air force and marine bases as well as 1.3 million people, who are considered more closely related to Japan in ethnic and linguistic terms than to China.
The authors of the article, two scholars at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, considered China's top state-run think-tank, said the Ryukyus were a "vassal state" of China before Japan annexed the islands in the late 1800s.
/quote]

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-okinawa-too-2013-5

Art Vandelay

Re: Apparently China thinks Okinawa belongs to them
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
Keep dreaming, China.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »
If Japan annexed the island in the 1800s...IT'S STILL THEIR ISLAND YOU DIPS!

Ironbite-seriously we do not need more instability in that area.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:24:05 pm »
If Japan annexed the island in the 1800s...IT'S STILL THEIR ISLAND YOU DIPS!

Ironbite-seriously we do not need more instability in that area.

Didn't stop China from claiming the parts of Hong Kong that had been ceded to the UK permanently.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »
There may be some posturing and sputtering, but that's as far as it will go.  Try to find a reference to this two weeks from now.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:39:18 pm »
China, you really shouldn't piss off the people who make Gundams. Sure, Japan's military doesn't seem that large, but the moment you become a threat, 1 to 5 teenagers will find themselves in the possession of highly advanced war machines, against which all of your weaponry will be useless.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:45:34 pm »
Sometimes, I think China IS trying to take over the world, they've just adopted a "one step at a time" approach.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:01 pm »
Bear in mind that it's only in the last 20 years or so that China has been a serious industrialised nation, so it's still very much in the "mine" phase*. Compare to the US, whose century or so as an industrial nation puts it in a mid-life crisis; and the UK, the oldest industrialised nation, which is waiting for the dementia to set in, having forgotten that it already has.

*Ha! Puns!
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:30:21 pm »
Sometimes, I think China IS trying to take over the world, they've just adopted a "one step at a time" approach.
Yeah, cause that worked out SO well for Hitler.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »

Except that China seems to be taking things more slowly (and in smaller bites) and is in a rather different situation geographically speaking than Germany.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »

Except that China seems to be taking things more slowly (and in smaller bites) and is in a rather different situation geographically speaking than Germany.

Yeah. The real goal of this sort of thing is to intimidate countries into doing whatever China says, no matter what is right.

In which case, the best response of Japan is to stick its fingers in its ears and go "lalalalalalalalala!"
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:10:15 pm »
I think China should probably get the Spratleys, maybe even the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands. Taiwan? That's a little more complex. China's probably going to have to grow up and learn to live with an independent Taiwan.

But you're not getting JAPAN.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:38 pm »
China, you really shouldn't piss off the people who make Gundams. Sure, Japan's military doesn't seem that large, but the moment you become a threat, 1 to 5 teenagers will find themselves in the possession of highly advanced war machines, against which all of your weaponry will be useless.

I'd help find fuel for Wufei's Dragon Fang myself.

And power sources for Deathscythe's cloaking so Heero wouldn't have to keep jacking Duo's shit.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

I'd help find fuel for Wufei's Dragon Fang myself.

And power sources for Deathscythe's cloaking so Heero wouldn't have to keep jacking Duo's shit.

And even if they did take over, a child of one of their leaders would then use mind-control eyes in an overelaborate scheme to destroy their empire, possible involving unlikely kicking physics.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Saturn500

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:25:17 pm »
Not to mention Japan's aircraft are capable of moving around without inertia, and some of them can only be hit at the cockpit, allowing them to avoid dense clusters of bullets.