Author Topic: Rally held in support of Hungarian PM  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Deus ex Populo

• Bishop
    • My Tumblr, for what it's worth...
Rally held in support of Hungarian PM
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »
From the BBC:

At least 100,000 people have rallied in Hungary's capital Budapest in support of embattled Prime Minister Viktor Orban and his government.

Participants carried banners in foreign languages, appealing to the European Union to respect Hungarian sovereignty.

Mr Orban and his cabinet have recently come under heavy criticism both at home and in Europe for adopting laws seen as endangering democracy.

[...]

"I would call it a march for peace, to show the government it is not alone, he said, and to show the European Union that we don't like how they are treating it," Zsolt Bayer, a well-known newspaper columnist, told the BBC.

This was a massive show of support for Mr Orban and his Fidesz government, the BBC's Nick Thorpe in Budapest reports.

The backers of the centre-right cabinet also wanted to show that they could mobilise more supporters than the opposition, which earlier this month attracted some 70,000 people for its demonstration.

Now, I don't know enough about the political situation in Hungary to make any judgements, so I can't really weigh in on this. You go ahead.
"Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty." - Hari Seldon, Foundation

"[A] blunderbuss or cannon is hardly likely to be used for a drive-by shooting."
- From Wikipedia

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Rally held in support of Hungarian PM
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »
From the BBC:

At least 100,000 people have rallied in Hungary's capital Budapest in support of embattled Prime Minister Viktor Orban and his government.

Participants carried banners in foreign languages, appealing to the European Union to respect Hungarian sovereignty.

Mr Orban and his cabinet have recently come under heavy criticism both at home and in Europe for adopting laws seen as endangering democracy.

[...]

"I would call it a march for peace, to show the government it is not alone, he said, and to show the European Union that we don't like how they are treating it," Zsolt Bayer, a well-known newspaper columnist, told the BBC.

This was a massive show of support for Mr Orban and his Fidesz government, the BBC's Nick Thorpe in Budapest reports.

The backers of the centre-right cabinet also wanted to show that they could mobilise more supporters than the opposition, which earlier this month attracted some 70,000 people for its demonstration.

Now, I don't know enough about the political situation in Hungary to make any judgements, so I can't really weigh in on this. You go ahead.
Basically the Hungarian government drafted a new ultra right constitution with austerity measures, abortion bans, and a ban on gay marriage.