Author Topic: Republicans pull a fast one on voters  (Read 4167 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Republicans pull a fast one on voters
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »
Again.  This lady is a complete jackass. 

Last year, Republican Jonathan Paton lost his bid for Congress to Democrat Ann Kirkpatrick by about 9,000 votes.  Meanwhile, Libertarian Kim Allen in the race got just over 15,000 votes.

But for the Libertarian, Paton would be a congressman today – assuming, as Republicans do, that Libertarian votes would logically slide over to the R column.

What’s a good Republican to do about a bunch of spoilers who are keeping them from electoral glory?

Well, today we found out.

Integrity how?

The sponsor of House Bill 2305, Sen. Michele Reagan, calls her measure the “elections integrity bill.”

I imagine that Jonathan Paton might agree with her, and Vernon Parker as well.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/laurieroberts/2013/06/19/republicans-pull-a-fast-one-on-voters/

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Republicans pull a fast one on voters
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »
You know I have to think this might be all kinds of illegal.

Ironbite-but I'm too flabbergasted to really think about it.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
Green Party candidates would actually have to collect more signatures than they have party members.
   Optimism they use this as a get out the vote movement

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:10 am »
I've said this before and I will say it again:
The biggest problem I see with the US political system is that it is extremely hostile to third parties. In order for a new party to succeed they must immediately get a HUGE amount of votes, which only seems possible if at least one of the two big ones has fucked up so badly that they have a massive voter loss.

So rather than the possibility of slow and gradual change this system either maintains a status quo or changes with a huge and drastic upheaval.

And now they are just kicking the small parties to keep them down...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:44 am »
This is brilliant.
This is an attempt to remove third parties leaving you with the option of voting for the party that obeys the corporations, and the party that worships corporations.
Its like a democracy where you can either vote for the evil dictator, or the evil dictators brother.

It is quite sad that this does not surprise me in the least.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:52:04 am »
Can... Can you guys just STOP? Y'know, fuck off for a while?

We know the USA is fucked.  We still don't like hearing constantly about how every other country is better than us.  Proceed apace and fornicate with a cactus.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 04:15:56 am »
Australia shares the same problem. We have a system that overwhelmingly advantages certain political parties in certain circumstances over other political parties. For instance, in a recent election a party received a little over half the vote (51%) and around 80% of seats, giving them 100% power. This is absurd.

The solution to both problems is the European multi-member electorate system, which we should adopt immediately (and won't).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 04:47:05 am »
Can they still do write-ins?  If so, there should be a massive online campaign for write-in votes for the next election.  That would piss a lot of people off.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:44:58 am »
Can they still do write-ins?  If so, there should be a massive online campaign for write-in votes for the next election.  That would piss a lot of people off.

Yes, write-ins are still allowed.  And that's not a bad idea.  The only problem is finding a single candidate that enough people can get behind to write-in and have any effect on an election.  The only place write-in candidates ever have any success is in small local elections.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 08:05:27 am »
This is brilliant.
This is an attempt to remove third parties leaving you with the option of voting for the party that obeys the corporations, and the party that worships corporations.
Its like a democracy where you can either vote for the evil dictator, or the evil dictators brother.

It is quite sad that this does not surprise me in the least.

QFT, gurl, QFT.

Then again, Arizona is the dumb state.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:32 am »

Yes, write-ins are still allowed.  And that's not a bad idea.  The only problem is finding a single candidate that enough people can get behind to write-in and have any effect on an election.  The only place write-in candidates ever have any success is in small local elections.

Didn't Lisa Murkowski win the 2010 Alaska Senate election as a write-in after losing the Republican primary? (I grant that she had the advantage of incumbency, but still.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:10 am »

Didn't Lisa Murkowski win the 2010 Alaska Senate election as a write-in after losing the Republican primary? (I grant that she had the advantage of incumbency, but still.)

Yes, but that's pretty much the exception that proves the rule.  And like you said, incumbency.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »
I'm a Libertarian and....Not sure about Mr.Nevershould. This is a open attack on Third Parties everywhere by the Christan Right extremists. I'd build something to END them if we had the money.
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »

Don't need to.  As long as the majority aren't voting for the main candidates, they're sending the right message.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

wrightway

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 06:29:26 pm »

Stephen Colbert, anyone?