Rubbish > Preaching and Worship

Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special

(1/5) > >>

rageaholic:
I’ve sure we’ve all heard this.  A “concerned Christian” comes on a board like this and sees a bunch of people bitter with religion.  So they come and share their “good news” that “true Christians” don’t have to be bigoted judgmental assholes, and how the “true gospel” is that you don’t need good works to get into heaven, you just need to believe.  “It’s not a religion, it’s a relationship with Jesus Christ” says the overly excited Christian.  I’ve seen that episode play out so many times on different forums that I practically know the dialog. 

Well sorry to burst your bubble, but what you’re offering is no different than what most of the other churches offered.  All churches claim to have the truth, most of the protestant ones emphasize faith in Christ as the most important thing, and the “it’s not a religion” is now such a cliché that saying it actually is a religion would be the real twist.  In reality, all churches have an idea of what the truth might be, there’s always some other catch to the faith thing (especially since they claim most people are going to hell anyway), and the “relationship” with God is in odd one (worthy of an entirely different topic).  When you bring Jesus dying for your sins into the equation, you’re not preaching anything revolutionary.  You’re just delivering in a different package (only it’s not really a different package now is it?). 

Lithp:
Plus, that doesn't really change that these people do a bunch of damage in the name of Jesus Christ, "true" or not, & frankly I'd rather be judged by what I do based on what I arbitrarily believe.

I'm still trying to figure out why they think that this information is novel. The closest I've gotten is that they simply refuse to believe that anyone outside of their circle has heard this before. RR was pretty fond of telling me that I got their beliefs "wrong" because of minor differences in wording. They were particularly stuck on the (lack of) difference between "God sends you to Hell" & "you go to Hell because of your sins."

Alehksunos:
I'm so fucking sick of people using "true" or "real" in everything and dismissing everything else as "false" or "fake". It's so No True Scotsman.

Nightangel8212:
Guh, I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You were raised Roman Catholic? Well, THAT'S your problem right there! You weren't following the REAL truth!" whenever I answer a Christian as to what religion I followed before converting to Paganism.

Leafy:
I'm wondering if the people who post those sort of things think they're going to change anyone's mind by doing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version