Author Topic: Tony Perkins hating on Star Wars MMO  (Read 21447 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Tony Perkins hating on Star Wars MMO
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:56 am »
What would Fox News do if/when they found out that the ME3 will actually have same-sex relationships?  :-\
Dragon Age (both of them) had already. And nobody gave a shit.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:25 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU</a>
This is from when the first ME came out.

What would Fox News do if/when they found out that the ME3 will actually have same-sex relationships?  :-\

I wanted to punch those ladies.  The guy flat out says they are wrong and none of the content they mention is in the game (It's consensual but unfortunately in breif flashes), but they do the normal right-wing arguing method and just start squacking out fear tactics. 

When they started with that, I almost expected the guy to say, "WTF does that have to do with Mass Effect?"

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:49 am »
Things that jumped out at me:

When the one anti-video game girl is asked if she ever actually played "Mass Effect," she laughs incredulously and says "no." I am reminded of an old talk show from the early 90s when they were explaining at great detail how Dungeons & Dragons was evil and corrupting and nothing more than a recruiting tool for the armies of Satan. At one point someone asked the anti-D&D crusader if he had ever actually read the rule books he was (literally) demonizing, and he replied "I don't have to read them to know they are evil." This woman is even unaware that you can choose the gender of your avatar in the game. It seems her sum total of data about "Mass Effect" comes from YouTube clips and hysterical Christian "parent" sites.

The girl at one point bemoans the progress of technology, wistfully wondering "whatever happened to Atari?" She is apparently totally unaware of the fact that Atari is still around and making games like "Daggerdale" and "The Witcher." She is using the word "Atari" to indicate the old 8-bit (not that she knows what "8-bit" means) systems in the same way someone would use the word "Kleenex" to refer to any facial tissue regardless of brand. Here you have someone crusading against modern video games without having either the slightest bit of accurate information about them or the most basic sense of context. She actually seems to think that at one point "Mass Effect" will ask the player "Do you want to have sex with the hot alien babe now?" I kept expecting her to bust out with the whole "video games make you violent and de-sensitized to other people" trope.

Quote: "Full digital nudity! Imagine!" Um, honey? There's been so much "full digital nudity" available for free on the internet with a simple Google search that it would make your head explode. Your warning against 30 seconds of side-boob in "Mass Effect" is like going on TV to warn everyone about the dangers of leaving your spent cigarette butts lying around where kids could sneak half of a filter-heavy puff when there is a guy standing 5 feet from you handing out free bricks of marijuana.

Did you catch the bit where she said, oh, hang on, let me rewind it to get the quote right...."Who is playing video games? Adolescent males, not their dads." Ah hah. Hah. Hah. Oh, wait, she's serious. Honey, I don't mean to bust your bubble, but the core video game demographic is the same core demographic that comic books have: males age 18 to 34. That's why, just like comics, they have been getting more complex ethically and narratively for more than a decade. And video game companies know that this is their core customer base. That's why they know that they can get away with charging $300+ for a system and $60+ for a game. Because their core demographic have disposable income.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 08:34:14 am »
I remember the Dungeons and Dragons crap (the controversy, not the game.  I love RPG's!).  My mom asked me numerous questions, handed me pamphlets warning me the dangers of devil worship and suicide. 

In all my years of playing those gamers, I don't remember us ever attempting to summon a real demon (I could never find that page in any of the books), and although I comtemplated suicide once in my life, the games had nothing to do with it.

And to think the idiots stiring this crap up say We have no sense of reality!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:33 am »
I remember the Dungeons and Dragons crap (the controversy, not the game.  I love RPG's!).  My mom asked me numerous questions, handed me pamphlets warning me the dangers of devil worship and suicide. 

In all my years of playing those gamers, I don't remember us ever attempting to summon a real demon (I could never find that page in any of the books), and although I comtemplated suicide once in my life, the games had nothing to do with it.

And to think the idiots stiring this crap up say We have no sense of reality!
I never could find the demon summoning page to be fair I never bought vile darkness

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:40 am »
Heh, believe it or not, BADD (Pat Pulling's anti-D&D "organization," the acronym stands for "Bothered About Dungeons & Dragons") once released a "study" listing hundreds, perhaps thousands of "suicides by [gamers]." The vast majority of the data points were entirely un-verifiable, being listed in the study as "18 year old male, San Francisco," or "22 year old male, Des Moines," or a variation on that same structure with only the age and city changed. No names, dates, or details at all.

The weird thing was that if you accepted all of the "data points" as valid suicides by gamers, and then compared that number to the total number of gamers in the USA....you got a suicide rate well BELOW that of the normal population. According to the "study" done by one of the most historically vocal anti-D&D groups, playing D&D reduced your risk of suicide considerably.

If yer curious or just want some face-palm time, here is   BADD's Wikipedia page and a decent expose on it by Michael Stackpole. I don't believe that BADD has any kind of active web presence of its own anymore.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 09:03:19 am »
The girl at one point bemoans the progress of technology, wistfully wondering "whatever happened to Atari?"
So I take it she's unaware of stuff like this?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:43 am »
Yet another reason to love Stackpole!

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
You know what? When she said "whatever happened to Atari?" All I could think of was...

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Interesting...Most of the time when I played D&D, I was a good aligned cleric or a LG Pally. My job was to destroy evil.

WORKS OF SATANZ!
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:53 am »
They were removed both from ME1 and ME2. It is a shame undoubtedly; moreover they managed to fend off the Fox News outrage over the sex scene in 1 very well, so one wonders why couldn't they have done the same for the same sex romances...
But they will be available in ME3. The community has an issue, however, with some rumors that the implementation of the m/m gay romance might be very limited - one, albeit exclusively gay, option. I really hope that is not the case, and to hell with the icky factor straight teenaged males have about the possibility that Kaidan may not be quite heterosexual (they probably killed him off on Virmire anyway!).

Actually they were available in ME1 and 2. Liara and Kelly Chambers can both be romanced (respectively) tho Chambers doesn't count for paramour. So, you are not exactly correct.

Personally I always wanted to bump cunts with Ashley but I'm in the minority.

Liara is somewhat of a cop-out, and calling Kelly a "romance" is being overly generous at best.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:54 am »
This is Fox we're talking about too.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 11:28:19 am »
Actually they were available in ME1 and 2. Liara and Kelly Chambers can both be romanced (respectively) tho Chambers doesn't count for paramour. So, you are not exactly correct.

Liara is somewhat of a cop-out, and calling Kelly a "romance" is being overly generous at best.

Well Liara's species is weird monogendered thing so If asari don't count we have to disregard the two asari that can be romanced in ME2  but why doesn't Kelly count? None of the romances have more than some chatting between the player and NPC plus one "love-scene." (How much is shown varies and not all even imply that there was any sex.)

EDIT: I messed up the quote tags while editing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:31:32 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:59 pm »

Well Liara's species is weird monogendered thing so If asari don't count we have to disregard the two asari that can be romanced in ME2  but why doesn't Kelly count? None of the romances have more than some chatting between the player and NPC plus one "love-scene." (How much is shown varies and not all even imply that there was any sex.)
if you romance Kelly you dont get the achievement which implies it was an afterthought.  I'll check in Me3

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
Interesting...Most of the time when I played D&D, I was a good aligned cleric or a LG Pally. My job was to destroy evil.

WORKS OF SATANZ!

When my brother and I started playing TSR's "dragon strike," our mom apparently had worries. She handled them rationally, however, and simply asked to play a game with us. Excited to have TWO warriors with which to battle evil, we proceeded to play a two person adventure, killed some dragons and battled an evil wizard.

She didn't care for the game, but didn't worry about us and D&D or its affiliates since.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...