Author Topic: The Almost Perfect Game  (Read 1737 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
The Almost Perfect Game
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:22 am »
Bit of a rant. Feel free to skip to the bottom if it's tl;dl.

As you may know, I love medieval fantasy. I enjoy Warcraft and World of Warcraft, but MMOs are too big a time-suck for me, and I'm not a big fan of real time strategy, because I can't keep up with the pace. I like games that let me take my time and play at my own pace. But no one seems to make turn-based fantasy games anymore. Well, almost no one.

Some of my favorite games of all time were Heroes of Might and Magic. I had parts 3 and 4, and I loved them. They were turn-based, so I could take my time, and I could play for just a half hour or an hour if I didn't have a lot of time to kill. They had a great mix of town-building war strategy elements and exploration/monster-hunting/treasure-hunting RPG style elements. And they had multiple factions to play as, each with a different set of creatures to build your army out of. (The necromancers were fun)

They were ALMOST the perfect games for me. There were some problems with the gameplay and interface that made them less than great, which was kind of frustrating. A bad game is forgettable, but a good game that could have been great but for a few fixable problems is pretty grating. But since the overall style and gameplay fit me so well, they're still some of my fondest game memories.

Heroes 6 came out recently, but it's not available for Mac. I almost bought an old copy of Heroes 5 the other day, but I read that it requires registration, which doesn't work anymore because the game's no longer supported. I've got an overwhelming craving to play one of these games again, but the universe (and the company that makes them) doesn't want to let me.

End of tl;dr

Does anyone know of any good fantasy games for the Mac that let you play at your own pace (turn-based or similar)? Anything similar to what I've described above?

Art Vandelay

Re: The Almost Perfect Game
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:48:55 am »
Have you heard of Eador: Genesis? From what you described, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, there's no Mac port, but in this day and age, you can find out how to get almost any PC game running on a Mac. If you really want to play it, Google about and I'm sure you'll find a community-made fix for it.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:18:00 am »
Anything by Spiderweb software. Avernum ("Escape from the Pit", the newest version) and Avadon are a ton of fun. Available on Mac, too (developer actually releases them on Mac before PC).

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Spiderweb%20Software
If you don't have Steam: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:24:41 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:52 am »
I almost bought an old copy of Heroes 5 the other day, but I read that it requires registration, which doesn't work anymore because the game's no longer supported.

Eh?  I've got Heroes 5 (bought it in that super-pack of all five games up to that point); I've never registered and it plays fine.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »
I almost bought an old copy of Heroes 5 the other day, but I read that it requires registration, which doesn't work anymore because the game's no longer supported.

Eh?  I've got Heroes 5 (bought it in that super-pack of all five games up to that point); I've never registered and it plays fine.
Mac or PC? So far as I can tell, the PC version is still supported, but the Mac version isn't.

Is anyone familiar with Wine? Their website says Heroes 5 works very well with it, but how well does Wine work, in general? And is it safe? I'd love it if I could get the PC version and be able to play it.