Author Topic: Wikipedia got into legal trouble in Finland  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Wikipedia got into legal trouble in Finland
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:20:52 am »
So...

Has any one of you been recently to wikipedia? Have you noticed how wikipedia is asking for donations?

Well, they didn't get the proper permits to do that in Finland so now the police are going to do something about it. And by something I mean that they are going to confiscate all the money that wikipedia has earned illegally, which is luckily only limited to Finnish donations.

A lot of people think that the Finnish laws about donations and charities are stupid but the way things are currently wikipedia has broken the laws quite clearly by asking the donations in the Finnish language version.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2014/02/07/finnish_police_probe_wikipedia_donation_requests
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Wikipedia got into legal trouble in Finland
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:48 am »
Why do they even have these laws?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:51 am »
Funny, I thought Wikipedia's servers were outside of Finnish jurisdiction.

Then again, the financial j00spiracy has no borders when it freezes your credit card transactions.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:05 am »

There is a fear of scammers making fake donation drives. Basically if someone shows up and says they are gathering donations for sick children in Africa you might want to be sure that the money goes to Africa rather than his/her own pockets.

Not that such things would be common but at some point some lawmaker was afraid of such a thing so they made the law.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:48 am »
I really hope they cut Wiki some slack on this. They have provided such a valuable public service with their site for so very long, and never made a penny of profit from it. Anything more than a citation without a fine is going to make Finland's law enforcement look like uber douches.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:20 am »

There is a fear of scammers making fake donation drives. Basically if someone shows up and says they are gathering donations for sick children in Africa you might want to be sure that the money goes to Africa rather than his/her own pockets.

Not that such things would be common but at some point some lawmaker was afraid of such a thing so they made the law.
Oh, it happens. I can't quantify exactly how common it is, but charity scams are a thing.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.