Author Topic: 30,000-year-old virus comes back to life  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
30,000-year-old virus comes back to life
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:38 am »
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: 30,000-year-old virus comes back to life
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:43:37 am »
Quick question, but how do you "resurrect" a virus if its never been a living organism in the first place?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
Quick question, but how do you "resurrect" a virus if its never been a living organism in the first place?

"Life" and "living material" are not well-defined terms. Viruses occupy that semantical grey area.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:20:28 pm »

"Life" and "living material" are not well-defined terms. Viruses occupy that semantical grey area.
Exactly.  There's some debate as to whether viruses should be considered "alive" or not.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:20:47 pm »
Viruses: Living beings? Just bits of bad code?  The world may never know (or decide).

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:26:50 am »
"FOOLISH MORTALS, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT AWAKENED ME! AFTER THIRTY THOUSAND YEARS OF SLUMBER I NOW RISE TO AGAIN SLAY THE LIVING!"

Any bets on when we will lose contact with the researchers involved in this case?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »
... really? No one's going to do it? fine...

"Ahhhh! After 30,000 years, I'm free! It's time to conquer... EARTH!"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:24 am »
Viril are classified as nonliving, this is supposed to be common knowledge.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:10 am »
a) It's "viruses". I have no idea why people are always weird about pluralizing "virus".
b) Generally, yes, but there is some debate on the matter. "Life" is a blurry classification.
Σא

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:47:44 am »
a) It's "viruses". I have no idea why people are always weird about pluralizing "virus".
Internet cultural affects linguistics in very interesting ways. You have discovered what is known as a nonstandard plural. My favorite is the plural of box, boxen, as per the context of computer hardware.

b) Generally, yes, but there is some debate on the matter. "Life" is a blurry classification.
That debate is one of the most willfully stupid issues I have ever encountered. A virus lacks any metabolic processes, cannot synthesize proteins by itself and do not have organelles.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:51:17 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:05 am »
That debate is one of the most willfully stupid issues I have ever encountered. A virus lacks any metabolic processes, cannot synthesize proteins by itself and do not have organelles.
But it can reproduce. The thing is that when a virus, or a virion, is not inside a host it is completely dormant. Essentially in a "dead" state. But when a virus enters a host it becomes active, it reacts to its surroundings it hijacks the host to begin replicating itself.

So if that virion had been dormant for 30'000 years and then the researchers began to study it and introduced it into something to see its reproduction process then you could say that it was brought back to "life."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 12:40:21 pm »
But it can reproduce.
Infected cell =/= virus, they are two separate entities. A virus by itself cannot cause the synthesis of proteins and nucleic acid strands.

The thing is that when a virus, or a virion, is not inside a host it is completely dormant. Essentially in a "dead" state. But when a virus enters a host it becomes active, it reacts to its surroundings it hijacks the host to begin replicating itself.
A virus has no means of locomotion as it lacks any form of metabolic process. Spread and mutation are entirely reliant upon external environmental factors. This includes the development and mutation of capsids, the delivery method of nucleic acid strands.

So if that virion had been dormant for 30'000 years and then the researchers began to study it and introduced it into something to see its reproduction process then you could say that it was brought back to "life."
Please stop abusing those terms. To study virion infection the researchers had to find external cells with membranes susceptible to specific virion glycoproteins. To study virion itself researchers employ electronmicroscopy.