Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread  (Read 28775 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »
My brother is an anti-vaxxer who claims that vaccines gave me autism (they didn't) and that they contain dangerously high levels of mercury (they don't). He refuses to vaccinate any of his kids, so to protect them I got my flu shot and a couple booster shots (notably, the one for pertussis) ahead of schedule. A lot of his bullshit is just annoying or stupid, but the notion that "your kids will be neurotypical if you just follow Woo Weekly's advice about not protecting your children against potentially fatal diseases!" is flat out insulting. I'm not autistic because of something my parent's did or didn't do; I'm autistic for no easily discernible reason whatsoever. Sometimes, shit happens and it's only much later that anyone at all understands why. Blaming vaccines or fast food or demons only prolongs the period of "well fuck why'd that happen", delaying a real explanation or treatment plan.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:17 pm »
My brother is an anti-vaxxer who claims that vaccines gave me autism (they didn't) and that they contain dangerously high levels of mercury (they don't). He refuses to vaccinate any of his kids, so to protect them I got my flu shot and a couple booster shots (notably, the one for pertussis) ahead of schedule. A lot of his bullshit is just annoying or stupid, but the notion that "your kids will be neurotypical if you just follow Woo Weekly's advice about not protecting your children against potentially fatal diseases!" is flat out insulting. I'm not autistic because of something my parent's did or didn't do; I'm autistic for no easily discernible reason whatsoever. Sometimes, shit happens and it's only much later that anyone at all understands why. Blaming vaccines or fast food or demons only prolongs the period of "well fuck why'd that happen", delaying a real explanation or treatment plan.
Apologies for channeling my tumblrite here but, anti-vaxxers are privileged ableist nerotips.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »
Apologies for channeling my tumblrite here but, anti-vaxxers are privileged ableist nerotips.
Anti-vaxxers are definitely ableist.  They're implying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:43:34 pm »
Anti-vaxxers are definitely ableist.  They're implying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one.
I bet most of them are against abortion whenever the baby could have serious genetic issues as well.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
I don't think they're actually saying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. They're ignorant of the potential effects of not vaccinating children and don't appear to understand herd immunity. Not that I'm trying to defend them in any way, as they piss me off more than most groups.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
I don't think they're actually saying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. They're ignorant of the potential effects of not vaccinating children and don't appear to understand herd immunity. Not that I'm trying to defend them in any way, as they piss me off more than most groups.
They still talk about Autism like it's a bad thing.
Imagine how shitty it must be to grow up with those kinds of people, having to think of yourself as some kind of failure.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
Well, I don't exactly treat autism as a positive thing, given its potential severity and increasing frequency.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:16 pm »
Well... It kind of is a rather bad thing, much like any other disability.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:55 pm »
Well... It kind of is a rather bad thing, much like any other disability.
I meant they talk about it in a condescending way that turns those suffering from it into idiots.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 07:23:16 pm »
In other words: they're pricks about it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 10:48:18 pm »
They're also pricks and idiots for not realizing that even if their kid catches something and "is just fine!!!!!", that kid could and like as not will pass it on to someone who can't fight it off. That someone could be their friend who's undergoing chemo, it could be their preemie baby brother, it could be their great-grandma Gertrude. I remember a massive fight between two high school friends, one with a compromised immune system and one with no understanding of what a vaccine is. She legitimately thought vaccines were like herbicides in that they'd kill whatever they touched and "just so happened" to mostly kill "bad cells". Our bio teacher smacked her with the Cluebat of Great Justice, but not before answering a hundred stupid questions and facepalming a bunch of times. Homeschooling is a hell of a drug*.

*before anyone jumps down my throat, I was homeschooled for eight years. This is self-deprecating humor.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:55 pm »
They're also pricks and idiots for not realizing that even if their kid catches something and "is just fine!!!!!", that kid could and like as not will pass it on to someone who can't fight it off. That someone could be their friend who's undergoing chemo, it could be their preemie baby brother, it could be their great-grandma Gertrude. I remember a massive fight between two high school friends, one with a compromised immune system and one with no understanding of what a vaccine is. She legitimately thought vaccines were like herbicides in that they'd kill whatever they touched and "just so happened" to mostly kill "bad cells". Our bio teacher smacked her with the Cluebat of Great Justice, but not before answering a hundred stupid questions and facepalming a bunch of times. Homeschooling is a hell of a drug*.

*before anyone jumps down my throat, I was homeschooled for eight years. This is self-deprecating humor.
LETS BICKER ANYWAY!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 09:04:11 am »

Honestly, I think most people here would agree with that assessment.  Home schooling is, more likely than not, a complete sham designed by parents to keep their children as sheltered as possible.  It has legit cases every once in a while, but for every legitimate case for home schooling, you come across a dozen who keep their kids out of school to keep them away from blacks Mexicans Jews atheists.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 09:10:21 am »
I know, I know. I've just been dogpiled on other forums for making "homeschooling sux"-type comments that the disclaimer is basically a reflex. Tone is hard to convey through text without sounding like an elcor and all that. But yeah, it's usually brainwashing to some degree and it's definitely a way to shelter and isolate kids from anything Mother Dearest thinks is icky (including gender equality, church-state separation, and the notion that queer folks are entitled to the same legal rights as cishet folks.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:12:33 am by Saving Fish From Drowning »
Long Live The Queen.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
Unfortunately, it seems that its more what Daddy Dearest wants; Mummy just cooks, cleans, and gets the occasional dicking from Daddy.  But, otherwise, aye, that seems to be an unfortunate truth.