Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 158717 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2016, 10:19:38 am »
I dunno about other English speakers, but I tend to refer to it as aqua, but that's just me.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2016, 01:42:09 pm »
Red hair.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »
Did they say anything about the significance of it?

Nope. My understanding is that they didn't distinguish between the two until after WWII, so it was already ingrained in their culture by then.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Even Then

« Reply #528 on: April 04, 2016, 05:22:43 am »
I just had a strange thought.

When I first joined here, I looked at all these people with 500+ and I thought of them as the "big cheeses" around here. Now, I've got over a thousand. I wonder what kind of impression newbies have of me?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #529 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:17 am »
I've heard in Japan some traffic lights have a blue light instead of green, as culturally they are the same colour and therefore carry the same connotations and associations.  I've also heard the blue = green thing exists in other countries as well

I Haven't been to Japan so I can't confirm if the traffic light thing is true.  Hopefully I'll be going there next year so if I remember, which I won't, I'll let you know.

Also, don't forget blue/green is one of the most common forms of colorblindness.  So I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Are colorblindness rates higher among far east Asians?  I know it's more common in men than women but I don't know if that's relevant outside of Japan being a male dominated society for a very long time...but so were/are a lot of countries who don't treat blue and green the same.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:50:16 am by Katsuro »

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #530 on: April 04, 2016, 07:29:49 pm »
Color is not as black and white as we like to think. Even us westerners didn't' recognize orange as distinct until fairly recently. And the thing is, if you don't recognize a color, your brain will actually see it as another one. Look up blue in the Illiad.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

pyro

« Reply #531 on: April 04, 2016, 09:37:57 pm »
Hope you don't mind.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #532 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:46 pm »
Not at all.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #533 on: April 04, 2016, 10:28:59 pm »
I swear that, one day, I will make taco-on-a-stick, or a tacosicle.  Why?  Because motherfucking science, that's why.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #534 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:49 am »
On the subject of colour - which I think we'd actually moved on from but never mind - similarly to colourblindness being more common in men than women, women in general have better colour vision than men and can see a wider range of colours.

I don't really have a point, it's just one of many random factoids I find interesting and it makes me wonder why it's the case.  What about our evolution made colour more important for women and gave them an advantage over women with lesser colour vision.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #535 on: April 05, 2016, 09:47:33 am »
Well, it may have been tied to another gene combination that led them to not die before childbirth more often. Humans being able to perceive full color means that a predator's pattern camouflage won't fool your eyes as effectively. Or, if you wanna go old school on gender roles in primitive societies, it meant they could better perceive amongst the forest foliage the fruits, nuts and mushrooms to pick and fresh kills to steal more often, meaning they could support more kids. As to why men are more likely to be colorblind, I just can't imagine. All the great apes and probably all of our prehuman ancestors had color vision. Being social creatures, and the meme that men hunt in groups as a team would maybe negate the disadvantage of color blindness. Maybe all the guys who became master flint knappers and tool makers were the color blind dudes? I've heard that colorblindness can sharpen your skills in seeing contrast and texture, very useful for a craftsman. A guy hanging around the camp, always seen working at a skilled trade would be a naturally attractive mate for a lot of women.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:58:16 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #536 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:36 am »
I'm probably one of the few people out there who enjoy Iron Man 2.

Ironbite-but then again I'm completely mad.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #537 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:57 am »
I liked Iron man 2. Rourke does a great performance as does the dude playing Hammer. The latter in particular does a great job at playing well a character that is bad at performing but does it anyway. Seriously. Comedic genius at telling bad jokes.

And Vanko makes a nice contrast with Stark.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
I'm probably one of the few people out there who enjoy Iron Man 2.

Ironbite-but then again I'm completely mad.

I remember some random person on the interwebs summing up Iron Man 2 quite succinctly at the time:

"It's like getting a blow job from someone who's not very good at blow jobs: it's not the best blow job in the world but it's still a blow job."

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
Well, it may have been tied to another gene combination that led them to not die before childbirth more often. Humans being able to perceive full color means that a predator's pattern camouflage won't fool your eyes as effectively. Or, if you wanna go old school on gender roles in primitive societies, it meant they could better perceive amongst the forest foliage the fruits, nuts and mushrooms to pick and fresh kills to steal more often, meaning they could support more kids. As to why men are more likely to be colorblind, I just can't imagine. All the great apes and probably all of our prehuman ancestors had color vision. Being social creatures, and the meme that men hunt in groups as a team would maybe negate the disadvantage of color blindness. Maybe all the guys who became master flint knappers and tool makers were the color blind dudes? I've heard that colorblindness can sharpen your skills in seeing contrast and texture, very useful for a craftsman. A guy hanging around the camp, always seen working at a skilled trade would be a naturally attractive mate for a lot of women.

All seem like pretty good possibilities to me.  There's also the possibility that women seeing more colours didn't have any actual advantage over women who saw fewer colours, that it was simply a seemingly unrelated by-product of a different, advantageous mutation.  I think there's a term for that I'm bolloxed if I can remember what it is.  Dawkins talks about it in one of his books...but again I can't remember which sodding one.