Author Topic: The Kim Davis Debacle  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
The Kim Davis Debacle
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:20 pm »
As I'm sure many of you have heard, Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis has been refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples due to her religious beliefs, despite marriage equality being the law of the land now. She received warnings and has now been taken into custody because of her illegal actions.

The clerk, Kim Davis of Rowan County, Ky., was ordered detained for contempt of court and later rejected a proposal to allow her deputies to process same-sex marriage licenses that could have prompted her release.

Of course, now some people are crying "Religious freedom!" and claiming this as evidence of the persecution they face.

“Today, judicial lawlessness crossed into judicial tyranny,” Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, said in a statement.

A lawyer for Ms. Davis, Roger Gannam, sharply criticized the ruling and portrayed it as a stark warning to Christians across the country.

“Today, for the first time in history, an American citizen has been incarcerated for having the belief of conscience that marriage is the union of one man and one woman,” Mr. Gannam said after a hearing that stretched deep into Thursday afternoon. “And she’s been ordered to stay there until she’s willing to change her mind, until she’s willing to change her conscience about what belief is.”

Gee, or maybe it's the fact that she has refused to do the job she is legally obligated to do, given her elected position. People have also taken note of her multiple marriages and are criticizing her hypocrisy. This is going to be a fun ride.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/us/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage.html
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The Kim Davis Debacle
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:38 pm »
I've been following this over the summer and it's great.  There's another clerk with the same last name, no relation, who's doing a hunger strike but he's having his deputies issue the licenses instead.

Ironbite-I respect him for that.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:42:57 pm »
I read something quite interesting about all this. Five of the six clerks under her were perfectly willing to issue licenses to same-sex couples, but were afraid of retaliation like getting fired, since she's there boss. And the one who isn't willing? Her son.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »
Kim Davis is a fuck-up extraordinaire.

http://patch.com/us/across-america/5-facts-clerk-sent-jail-gay-marriage-dispute-0
Davis has been married four times to three different men and had twins out of wedlock.

It’s all a bit complicated. Here’s the breakdown:
•After divorcing her first husband of 10 years, she had twins five months later; the twins were fathered by the man who would become her third husband, according to NBC News.
•When she married her second husband, he adopted the twins.
•They divorced 10 years later.
•She then married the father of her children, a union that lasted “less than a year,” according to NBC.
•She remarried her second husband in 2009, and they are still together.

“I am not perfect. No one is,” she said in her statement. “But I am forgiven, and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God.”

But, wait - it gets better. Much, much better.

http://www.advocate.com/marriage-equality/2015/09/01/meet-trans-man-and-pansexual-woman-married-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis

Oops! The lawd works in mysterious ways, huh Kim?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »
“I am not perfect. No one is,” she said in her statement. “But I am forgiven, and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God.”
Gotta love that shitty logic. "I can judge the fuck out of everyone else, but no one can judge me. My imaginary friend who lives in the sky said so."

Honestly, it's kind of depressing that this kind of thinking still flies with so many people. This isn't the fucking bronze age, last I checked.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:03 am »
Wait, is she married to a transgendered man NOW? I mean, sure, if you acknowledge that your brain wiring and your genitals can occasionally not be synced, then yeah, you could enter a romantic relationship with a trangendered person without committing a Biblical "sin". On the other hand, how is a Christian fundamentalist able to acknowledge this? Did she just meet that special someone whom she was able to make an exception for?
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:18:43 am »
I thought she simply issued a marriage license to a woman and a trans man, not that she herself married a trans man.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 02:11:10 am »
^I'm 98.999999 sure that's what it meant.   

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20:40 am »
Speaking as a Christian and a gay marriage supporter, Kim Davis can go fuck herself.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:37:36 am »
Since neither one of the couple look at all like bug-eyed, balding Kim Davis, I figured the pic and descriptor in the link (sans the key word "by", admittedly) was good as is. Davis just took the couple at face value and gave them a marriage license, not knowing the groom-to-be was a transman. Davis did not ask for ID at all, neither their birth certificates or driver licenses. But, yeah, I should have pasted a paragraph from the Advocate article link. Buhcuz y'all lazy bums 'at don't click links :P.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:09:19 am »
Admittedly, I'm no expert on marriage laws, but if she's willing to marry two people without having any information about them, shouldn't that disqualify her, even before you take into account her insane views.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:11:51 am »
Dude...she's only issuing the marriage license, not marrying them.  That's all.

Ironbite-she's been refusing to do that since the SCOTUS decision because gays are ickey!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:54 am »
Speaking as someone who would like to think he is a somewhat decent human being, Kim Davis can go fuck herself.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:54 am »
I guess when you know better, you judge better. Maybe jail would do her some good. At least according to Ben Carson. Now she can be gay when she comes out and get a little bit of empathy for her new found people.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 12:42:57 pm »
She is also violating her oath of office to uphold the laws and serve the public without bias. Given how devout a Christan she is, I'm sure she swore that oath on a bible.

Aren't you supposed to get into a lot of divine trouble for that?