Author Topic: Murdoch takes over National Geographic, immediately lays off hundreds.  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
WASHINGTON, DC (November 3, 2015) – In the opening days of the month when National Geographic magazine is scheduled to be turned over to 21st Century Fox, the magazine's employees were told to stand by their phones to wait for calls – one by one – to come to Human Resources to learn the fate of their jobs.

A memo sent to all staff on Monday from CEO Gary Knell told the magazine's employees to return to Washington to Geographic's headquarters if possible to wait for an eMail on Tuesday which would give them more information about their employment status.

"No one knows how many will be axed today," a source inside National Geographic told News Photographer magazine this morning. "The staff is sitting by their phones, waiting to be called down to HR."

https://nppa.org/node/72817

I don't wish death on anyone, but I sure as fuck won't shed a tear when Rupert Murdoch finally goes.
Who needs a signature?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Murdoch takes over National Geographic, immediately lays off hundreds.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:39 am »
It's not enough that he owns the WSJ and Fox, now he has to go and ruin my favorite educational magazine. :(

We all hate you, Murdoch.  If someone covered you in honey and tied you down next to a nest of fire ants, not a one of us would lift a finger to release you.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:55:08 am »
It's not enough that he owns the WSJ and Fox, now he has to go and ruin my favorite educational magazine. :(

We all hate you, Murdoch.  If someone covered you in honey and tied you down next to a nest of fire ants, not a one of us would lift a finger to release you.

How about bulldog ants?  From what I've heard, they're even worse.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:00:55 am »

i beg to differ. i'd lift a finger to point and laugh.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
You've got to wonder how long this was being worked on behind the scenes that they could immediately lay of such a large number of people because the transition and integration of the operation into Murdoch's empire isn't an overnight affair.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
So national geographic is just going to turn into another right wing propaganda magazine?

Might as well just let the magazine slowly die off then.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:15:04 pm by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:12:05 pm »
You got to love billionaires and all the jobs they create.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »
Why did anyone think he'd do anything differently? Why did the fund think he would uphold any agreement - whether legal or verbal or in blood - that he made? Of course he was going to do this. He cuts jobs because he wants to, not because it's necessary or a financially good decision, but because it's who he is. The fund is really to blame here.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:17:16 pm »
So national geographic is just going to turn into another right wing propaganda magazine?

Might as well just let the magazine slowly die off then.

"the african elephant is secretly trying to make you vote for bernie sanders."

"the saharan drake is a true conservative in its temperature regulation."

"pandas. a metaphor for communism? if studies in captivity are true, then yes."

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:54:01 am »
Why did anyone think he'd do anything differently? Why did the fund think he would uphold any agreement - whether legal or verbal or in blood - that he made? Of course he was going to do this. He cuts jobs because he wants to, not because it's necessary or a financially good decision, but because it's who he is. The fund is really to blame here.

this is one of the things I hate most about the super rich. They frequently buy out companies and then gut them and leave them for dead. They pull all kids of tricks to siphon every last penny out of the company while using a verity of legal loopholes and trusts to insulate themselves from the inevitable bankruptcy, finally leaving anyone who actually had a real stake in the company to face the wrath of the creditors that screwed over. Of course in this process the first thing to go are the employees. Cant have those pesky humans wanting things like paychecks to get in the way of the pure profit from gutting the company. It makes me sick.

My dad runs a small business, I dont know how he manages to keeps its doors open, especially since the last accountant he had stole a fortune from the company and left it to the fury of SARS (South African IRS). People have asked me why he even bothers, saying it would be easier to just declare bankruptcy, but they dont seem to understand that as little as they manage to get in it pays the paychecks of a small group of people. People who wouldn't have much other opportunity for employment elsewhere especially in today's economic climate.

Some days I really feel like we need a modern day equivalent to the french revolution, but deep down I guess I know even that wont really change anything. Human greed is such a cancer.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 02:52:25 am »

this is one of the things I hate most about the super rich. They frequently buy out companies and then gut them and leave them for dead. They pull all kids of tricks to siphon every last penny out of the company while using a verity of legal loopholes and trusts to insulate themselves from the inevitable bankruptcy, finally leaving anyone who actually had a real stake in the company to face the wrath of the creditors that screwed over. Of course in this process the first thing to go are the employees. Cant have those pesky humans wanting things like paychecks to get in the way of the pure profit from gutting the company. It makes me sick.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpidCc7wwY

My dad runs a small business, I dont know how he manages to keeps its doors open, especially since the last accountant he had stole a fortune from the company and left it to the fury of SARS (South African IRS). People have asked me why he even bothers, saying it would be easier to just declare bankruptcy, but they dont seem to understand that as little as they manage to get in it pays the paychecks of a small group of people. People who wouldn't have much other opportunity for employment elsewhere especially in today's economic climate.

Some days I really feel like we need a modern day equivalent to the french revolution, but deep down I guess I know even that wont really change anything. Human greed is such a cancer.

Personally I'd be in favor of trying Catalonia again, who knows, maybe we'd beat the facists this time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:51:52 am by I am lizard »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:35 am »

be careful what you wish for, sylvana. i'm not gonna go wall o'text on you, but remember that effectively, the french revolution lasted 'til about 1791, when the new power elite started lording it over everyone, which gave way to the terror, which led to massacres, which led in 1793 to guillotining the king, which led to famines (because every infrastructure was fucked, and people started hoarding), which led to napoleon starting his empire, which led to massive wars. on the plus side, it led to some good legislation and the basis of the modern democracy, but at what cost?

besides, check out the arab spring. not exactly great.

we do need massive change, but taking up arms is not the way to go. and look at occupy wall street. "pacific" revolt is hammered down thanks to the american police state. we're not in a great situation, but we need to get our heads together and think up new solutions.

disclaimer: this was written without sources from memory, and was willingly vulgarised so as to be succinct. the accuracy of the info therein is not optimal.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 08:34:03 am »
If their FB group is anything to go by, OWS kinda devolved into one part legitimate "telling people about the bullshit that goes on" and one part pure, anarchist whargarbl.  Sorry, OWS, as much as I am a populist and hate the corporate cancer killing our species, I cannot bring myself to switch to anarchism.  That's a teenager's response, and I am not a teenager.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:48 am »
If their FB group is anything to go by, OWS kinda devolved into one part legitimate "telling people about the bullshit that goes on" and one part pure, anarchist whargarbl.  Sorry, OWS, as much as I am a populist and hate the corporate cancer killing our species, I cannot bring myself to switch to anarchism.  That's a teenager's response, and I am not a teenager.

i'd beg to differ, but i see what you mean.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 08:53:57 am »

There was another part: radflake idiocy.