Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273206 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #855 on: May 06, 2017, 02:59:37 am »
...Could you give that email to some media (or Democrat party) so that they can call them on their bullshit?

Everyone copy this link:

http://forums.fstdt.net/index.php?topic=7082.msg308027#msg308027

...and post it on whatever social media accounts you have tagging whatever media/politicians you can think of, maybe?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #856 on: May 06, 2017, 03:29:13 am »
Sure, where could I send it, though?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #857 on: May 06, 2017, 03:46:35 am »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447365/jimmy-kimmel-baby-son-health-care-empathy.

I'm DONE. Fuck. This.

The headline is "The Dangers of Empathy"

The DANGERS of EMPATHY. What the FUCK.

Direct quote. "Adolf Hitler was a master of empathy — for ethnic Germans in the Sudetenland, Austria, and elsewhere. The cause of nationalist empathy for the German tribe triggered profound moral blindness for the plight, and even the humanity, of Jews, Gypsies, and Slavs."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:49:03 am by Svata »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #858 on: May 06, 2017, 04:30:02 am »
Note how after comparing Kimmel to Hitler and BLM movement (because both are bad mkay?) he complains that using this kind of emotional appeal is bad because it prevents people from having a rational conversation...

Also note how the writer seems to think that people in USA would not feel sympathy towards asians if they were in danger while they would naturally feel sympathy for British...

a) That is in very real way racist.

b) Not everyone in USA is of British descent.

EDIT: also the writer either is either deliberately misleading or doesn't know that poor people exist. He implies that babies can always use the insurance of their parents... What if the parents can't afford an insurance? And wasn't that the entire point in Kimmel's monologue? Just because the parents are poor we shouldn't let kids, babies, die when we can easily avoid it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:38:12 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
« Reply #859 on: May 06, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »
His definition of empathy is also wrong.
"Empathy is the ability to feel what someone else is feeling."
No, it's the ability to recognise what someone else is feeling.

Then later he changes the definition: “If you feel bad for someone who is bored, that’s sympathy,” writes Yale psychologist Paul Bloom in his brave and brilliant new book, Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion, “but if you feel bored, that’s empathy.”
What a bullshit is that?

Also, if someone has more sympathy for Palestinians than Israelis, it's bad.
If an American has more sympathy for English people than Asians, it's good.
just your regular ape

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #860 on: May 06, 2017, 12:13:03 pm »
Sure, where could I send it, though?

Sanders and Warren for politicians (maybe a few others like Franken). Whatever left-leaning independent media you can think of, for media.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #861 on: May 06, 2017, 12:30:55 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447365/jimmy-kimmel-baby-son-health-care-empathy.

I'm DONE. Fuck. This.

The headline is "The Dangers of Empathy"

The DANGERS of EMPATHY. What the FUCK.

Direct quote. "Adolf Hitler was a master of empathy — for ethnic Germans in the Sudetenland, Austria, and elsewhere. The cause of nationalist empathy for the German tribe triggered profound moral blindness for the plight, and even the humanity, of Jews, Gypsies, and Slavs."

Well the article was written by Jonah Goldberg, so there's your explanation for why it's shit.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #862 on: May 06, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »
Okay I can sort of see the argument that a sob story can cloud reason, but the spotlighting "our people" bit makes no sense whatsoever.   The problems that come from say Jews only having empathy for Israelis and Muslims only for Palestinians are due to a lack of empathy.  The problem isn't feeling for our people, it's not having empathy for the enemy.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #863 on: May 10, 2017, 01:40:13 am »
http://foreignlanguagestudyoptions.blogspot.fi/2011/04/why-not-to-study-spanish.html?m=1

Let's see, we have claims that anyone speaking Spanish is stupid. Like literally claims that nations where people speak Spanish people have lower IQs. And that special type of racism where everyone should stick to their own group and avoid any kinds of mixing.

Oddly enough he says that people with ancestors who spoke Spanish SHOULD learn Spanish because ancestry trumps everything else. So at least he is a consistent kind of racist.

Can't be bothered to point out all his mistakes because there's just so many. Like right from the start:
1. Very little of value has been written in Spanish. On the typical occidental Great Books reading list, only one piece of literature, Don Quixote, makes the cut. Minor languages, like Icelandic or Gaelic, have produced more enduring works of literature.

I am going to guess that he hasn't even tried to read important Spanish scientific or literary works.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
« Reply #864 on: May 10, 2017, 02:21:11 am »
http://foreignlanguagestudyoptions.blogspot.fi/2011/04/why-not-to-study-spanish.html?m=1

Let's see, we have claims that anyone speaking Spanish is stupid. Like literally claims that nations where people speak Spanish people have lower IQs. And that special type of racism where everyone should stick to their own group and avoid any kinds of mixing.

Oddly enough he says that people with ancestors who spoke Spanish SHOULD learn Spanish because ancestry trumps everything else. So at least he is a consistent kind of racist.

Can't be bothered to point out all his mistakes because there's just so many. Like right from the start:
1. Very little of value has been written in Spanish. On the typical occidental Great Books reading list, only one piece of literature, Don Quixote, makes the cut. Minor languages, like Icelandic or Gaelic, have produced more enduring works of literature.

I am going to guess that he hasn't even tried to read important Spanish scientific or literary works.

Points 5 and 7 are very telling. Clearly racist.

Why does he mention Hebrew of all things in point 2?
Ah, he wants to say they're even worse than the jews. Asshole.
just your regular ape

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #865 on: May 10, 2017, 05:52:03 pm »

...Spanish has the second-most number of native speakers and the fourth-most number of total speakers of all languages. That seems like a relevant fact completely omitted by this list.

(nah, of course it's not relevant, this is a list compiled for people for whom language learning is a status move and not a tool for communicating with other human beings)

gonna bet I have a higher IQ than the author. not that I'm taking it personally or anything
Σא

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #866 on: May 11, 2017, 08:19:29 am »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #867 on: May 13, 2017, 10:11:46 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/6auaey/anne_frank_memorial_in_idaho_vandalized/

Scroll to the bottom hidden comment. Proof that vegans are the worst
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #868 on: May 14, 2017, 03:34:06 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/6auaey/anne_frank_memorial_in_idaho_vandalized/

Scroll to the bottom hidden comment. Proof that vegans are the worst

Seeing this kind of comments in the Internet make me wonder: is this type of vegan mainly an American phenomenon? When I studied ethnology many of my fellow students were vegans (the subject attracts a lot of hippie types) but I never heard any of them preaching to me or other omnivores. It's interesting to see how much of an issue it is elsewhere but I don't know how large my bubble is where people treat each other with respect no matter their choice of diet.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #869 on: May 14, 2017, 06:15:12 am »
Probably.  America leads the world when it comes to petty pricks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.