Author Topic: Cartoon Network UK Censors Steven Universe  (Read 12108 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Cartoon Network UK Censors Steven Universe
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »
Dear god, I have never seen someone so full of righteous anger over the removal of an ass slap.

It's the principle of the matter.  The less ground we lose, the less we have to regain.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:18:53 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
Two hackneyed, common storyline themes I've witnessed in games and animes over the years, especially from stuff made in Japan:

Scantily clad big boobed female characters flash tit jiggles and crotch shots at the game camera = strip club level "sex sells" ploy that portrays young females as sex robots. It's a ridiculously exaggerated sexist stereotype. It's insulting and annoying and even infuriating, most especially if you happen to be female.

Heavily muscled dark skinned dressed-in-rags black male characters flash weapons in hand grinning a snarl at the game camera = storm-front level "threat sells" ploy that portrays black men as inherent enemies. It's a ridiculously exaggerated stereotype. It's insulting and annoying and infuriating, most especially if you happen to be a black male.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:09 pm »
The first one I've seen and it's annoying. The latter one I haven't noticed but maybe I haven't been looking for it either. (Or we play different kinds of games.)

And Japan is particularly bad about the "let's just put some babes with big boobs on it and call it a day" game design. You can say what you want about tumblr and SJWs but at least some of the more blatant sexism has been getting attention in the media and some stuff just won't do anymore.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 01:51:37 pm »
Two hackneyed, common storyline themes I've witnessed in games and animes over the years, especially from stuff made in Japan:

Scantily clad big boobed female characters flash tit jiggles and crotch shots at the game camera = strip club level "sex sells" ploy that portrays young females as sex robots. It's a ridiculously exaggerated sexist stereotype. It's insulting and annoying and even infuriating, most especially if you happen to be female.

But what about the women who actually like that?  Do their opinions not matter?

And let's not forget that Japan is pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to fanservice.

Heavily muscled dark skinned dressed-in-rags black male characters flash weapons in hand grinning a snarl at the game camera = storm-front level "threat sells" ploy that portrays black men as inherent enemies. It's a ridiculously exaggerated stereotype. It's insulting and annoying and infuriating, most especially if you happen to be a black male.

Okay, yeah, that's a legitimate problem when it happens.  The question is: how often does it happen?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »
Dear god, I have never seen someone so full of righteous anger over the removal of an ass slap.

It's the principle of the matter.  The less ground we lose, the less we have to regain.

On the other hand, is this really ground you need to regain?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 02:47:14 pm »
It is ground, and he's obsessed with regaining any of it, regardless how petty or weak the justification needs to be.

By now I can see Ultie's almost pathetically obsessed with winning in this internet argument.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »

Eventually, yes.  Because nothing is ever enough for these people.  Give them an inch, they take a mile.  That's how it always is.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »
Why is a demeaning stereotype okay when it's women, but not okay when it's black men? Granted, I realize one scenario is about getting that tingly feeling in your pants, and the other is blatantly wrong enough that obviously you, and even a lot of very stupid people get it. I don't care about your "many women love those (tit jiggle) games, too" argument, mostly because it makes me think you don't know very many actual women IRL, or you don't bother asking them about these matters. I care even less about "all the women" who allegedly support tit & crotch games online, according to you and your source links.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 05:12:31 pm »

Eventually, yes.  Because nothing is ever enough for these people.  Give them an inch, they take a mile.  That's how it always is.

And so in response to this, you demand ass slaps and transphobic jokes in gaming?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 06:33:36 pm »

But what about the women who actually like that?  Do their opinions not matter?

And let's not forget that Japan is pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to fanservice.

Okay, yeah, that's a legitimate problem when it happens.  The question is: how often does it happen?

What about people who actually like portraying black men as enemies? Do their opinions not matter?

And let's not forget that humanity is pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to racial stereotyping.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:52 pm »
Who the fuck are THESE people?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 07:02:31 pm »
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's those whiny, idiot kids on Tumblr and Twitter who apparently control the entire entertainment industry.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
They're Ultie's THE JEWS.

They're an omnipotent cabal who have evidently existed forever, who are both all powerful and malicious as well as slow witted and stupid so that GamerGate can struggle and fight against them without it seeming like they're futilely fighting something they have no chance against.

They're powerful when he needs to feel persecuted, and they're weak when he needs to go on the attack.

And there is not a wit of awareness in him of the contradictory nature of his great boogeyman.

He's fundamentally the same kind of goon you always see on Stormfront. Whining that some powerful group is "keeping US down!"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Even Then

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:46 pm »
Ultie, sweetheart, Metal Gear Solid is one game series. Its existence doesn't mean Japan somehow degrades men and women equally.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 10:14:57 pm »
They're Ultie's THE JEWS.

They're an omnipotent cabal who have evidently existed forever, who are both all powerful and malicious as well as slow witted and stupid so that GamerGate can struggle and fight against them without it seeming like they're futilely fighting something they have no chance against.

They're powerful when he needs to feel persecuted, and they're weak when he needs to go on the attack.

And there is not a wit of awareness in him of the contradictory nature of his great boogeyman.

He's fundamentally the same kind of goon you always see on Stormfront. Whining that some powerful group is "keeping US down!"

Accusing me of anti-Semitism.  Lovely.  Why don't you photoshop a swastika on my avatar, while you're at it?

But anyway, the reason for this apparent paradox is simple: people are still afraid to challenge them.  Criticize them?  They'll label you stuff like "racist" and "sexist."  Hardly anybody wants to be called that, so they fold (or compromise, if they're lucky and/or skilled).  The fact that they have friends in high places certainly doesn't help.

But if you stand up to them, refuse to budge, then they have nothing.  They can double down, but that will only cost them the PR battle.  And it's already happening.  As they become more and more radicalized, they lose more and more goodwill.  The term "social justice warrior" is becoming increasingly mainstream.  More and more famous people are speaking out against them.  They are losing the momentum.  Once it grinds to a halt, there will be backlash.  And despite how entrenched they are, they will be steamrolled.  The tide is turning, and they will be swept away in the surf.