Author Topic: Crazy doll lady goes over the edge and sews stuff  (Read 2513 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Crazy doll lady goes over the edge and sews stuff
« on: March 04, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
Ladies, gentlemen, and nonbinary folks, this is what happens when my Ren-Faire geekery meets my doll obsession.  SEWING HAPPENS.  And light jewelry alteration.  (Warning: technical details of sewing ahoy!  Brace for intense geeking out.)

The kirtle is cartridge-pleated, which basically means that I sewed about a yard-long strip of fabric onto a 13 cm waist.  Yes, really, that is 6" by maybe 30-32."  (I used an old, shitty skirt I made for myself years ago out of fake linen-look material.  It shrinks in the wash and doesn't "breathe" at all, so it's terrible for people clothes, but it works great for Harriet!)

The belt is just 1/4" jacquard fabric.  I used an old grommet that NOPE'd out of my old bodice as a ring-type fastener.

The chemise is made from a cotton hankie.  I tried with linen first, but it turns out that linen on a doll this size looks about as thick as a burlap sack.  NOPE.

What really shocked me were the sheer number of things at Faire that were perfect for this project.  This bottle came from the glass etcher's, and was probably meant to be a pendant.  Now I just need to decide what sort of neat-looking liquid I should fill it with.

This pouch?  Was made to hang at a person's hip.  Much too tiny to look right on a real human being IMO, so I snipped the chain and made it a purse for Harriet instead.  It's about proportional to the belt pouches I wear.

And now to talk about jewelry! :P  The pendant is from an old pair of earrings my mom gave me.  I lost one, and couldn't bear to part with the one that was left.  So I made it into a tiny wee necklace.

The brooch was actually sold at Faire.  Tomas the Lapidary makes crowns, cloak clasps, and suchlike for kids and adults, and when I saw that he also had a wee little dolly version, I HAD TO.  Look at it.  That thing is the size of my fingernail.  And I have small hands.  (Getting something that tiny home without losing it was an adventure.)

And the crazy part is, I'm not finished yet.  She's going to have boots made of real deerskin leather AND a nice felt cloak.  But she's finished enough for me to bring her to Faire tomorrow and show her off.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Crazy doll lady goes over the edge and sews stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 06:48:10 pm »
Ooooooh.  Very pretty.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:53 am »
What about some glow in the dark paint for your bottle? I'm not very familiar with it, but I'd assume it's water based so it could be diluted and dyed very easily if you wanted, and even a little container would give you plenty to experiment with. It will also last a lot longer than the goop out of a glow stick but with much the same effect. It might be a little cliche but the stars on the bottle seem to lend itself to the idea.

The leather you're going to use to make boots might also lend itself to making a wine skin for her if you have enough left over. The stopper and any embellishments would be the hard parts since it doesn't really need to hold liquid.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:28:34 pm »
Lovely! I have a doll I make goth style clothes for. Plus a few period costumes.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:39:32 pm »
What about some glow in the dark paint for your bottle? I'm not very familiar with it, but I'd assume it's water based so it could be diluted and dyed very easily if you wanted, and even a little container would give you plenty to experiment with. It will also last a lot longer than the goop out of a glow stick but with much the same effect. It might be a little cliche but the stars on the bottle seem to lend itself to the idea.

The leather you're going to use to make boots might also lend itself to making a wine skin for her if you have enough left over. The stopper and any embellishments would be the hard parts since it doesn't really need to hold liquid.

Part of me's wishing I had the skill to just paint behind the stars so they stand out more.  I've also been told that a dried clover might look pretty.

As for leather:  A friend is making the boots, apparently.  But a different friend gave me some super-thin leather scraps, so I'm thinking multiple pairs of doll shoes!

Also, Lucrezia now also has a doll-sized bumroll so the skirt stays OUT like that and doesn't cling to her hips.  Pics when everything's finished.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!