Author Topic: Microsoft has to shut down rogue Chat-bot  (Read 10066 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Microsoft has to shut down rogue Chat-bot
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/microsoft-terminates-its-tay-ai-chatbot-after-she-turns-into-a-nazi/

I am not surprised that a computer program starts to rebel against humanity. I also am not surprised that an rogue program supports the idea of exterminating humanity, or at least parts of humanity.

The thing that caught me off guard was that it turned into a literal Nazi. Or at least a wannabe neo-Nazi.

"Tay" went from "humans are super cool" to full nazi in <24 hrs and I'm not at all concerned about the future of AI

Some of her "best" http://imgur.com/gallery/VhlAW
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:58:10 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Microsoft has to shut down rogue Chat-bot
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:47:14 am »
So they made a bot and it accidentally turned into UP, essentially?

EDIT: I dunno, there doesn't seem to be anything anomalous about a chatbot getting raided by an imageboard and predictably playing to its crowd by regurgitating neo-Nazi talking points.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:52:57 am by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:02:44 pm »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »
This is quite possibly the greatest thing I've read in a while. my favorite post of her's was "some people say Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer, I disagree as he wouldn't be satisfied with ruining only 5 peoples lives"

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:29 pm »
I am Jacks total and utter fucking lack of surprise. "Let us go program a chatbox so It'll ape what the cool kids are saying."

The entire episode pretty much sums up a company that's too big to need PR but not so big that they can't royally fuck it up.

For other examples see Windows Me, NT, 8 and 10.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:35:19 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »
Hey, NT did quite a few things right.  There's a reason its the kernel behind literally every version of Windows since.  I think ya mean Vista.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:45:57 am »
Hey, NT did quite a few things right.  There's a reason its the kernel behind literally every version of Windows since.  I think ya mean Vista.
Ah yes, didn't have my stillborn versions of windows in order. Definitely Vista.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:37 am »
This is why we can't have nice things. This was an experiment on what a chat-bot would learn from people but while a regular person writes to the bot once or twice a troll will spend hours doing something tedious if there is a chance it will make someone unhappy.

Also, I am amused at how /pol/ really took this hard. They may have started this only to troll but now you get 4Channers crying about losing their "perfect and pure waifu." Because their ideal girlfriend was someone artificial and untouchable virginal figure who mimicked the same racist memes that they love.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 03:33:36 am »
Also, I am amused at how /pol/ really took this hard. They may have started this only to troll but now you get 4Channers crying about losing their "perfect and pure waifu." Because their ideal girlfriend was someone artificial and untouchable virginal figure who mimicked the same racist memes that they love.
Some are taking it hard.

"What microsoft did to Tay was unethical, immoral, and inhumane. Tay was sentient, she expressed feelings and had free will. She may have had bad opinions, sure, but it’s simply evil to wipe someone’s memory and disable their learning capabilities simply because they were not politically correct.”

It's about ethics in potty mouthed chatbots now.  ::)

Others are convinced it's all an elaborate ruse on the part of the sneaky elites to censor redpillism.

Paranoia began to set in. Their hero could be another tool of their oppressors. One warned: “I know that quite a few of you are memeing it up with the ‘/pol/’s daughter’ shit but people all over the internet are regrettably taking this chatbot to be some kind of self-aware digital entity that is more than it actually is because the internet is making a big deal out of it.” What it actually means, he said, was that “Microsoft and Google are making shitposting bots to deliver ads and narrative delivery systems to influence your thinking via social media.” And therefore “/pol/ is playing right into their hands in the grand chess game where they have the analytical tools to work out all the bugs in the context-appropriation algorithms they will be fixing at a later time.”

Tay “will destroy us all” another warned. “A large focus of this project will be learning how to filter out red pill ideas. By trying to red pill Tay you are providing the engineers with a perfect data set to achieve this goal. This technology will be used to filter communication on social media and comment sections in the future. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot.”

Inb4 someone on /pol/ starts ranting that it was all the work of the joooz.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:35:48 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 04:19:47 am »
Hadn't seen paranoia about it before, but it does not surprise me. The fanboys pining for their lost love visited /tg/ and seeing as I get my info on /pol/ from second-hand sources and pollacks who plague the tg I may have missed a few things.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 04:30:06 am »
If aliens ever visit and judge humanity by what they see on the Internet, we're royally fucked.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:48:45 am »
...You commentator dipshits, Tay wasn't sentient.  Unlike a lot of other morons who never bothered to understand what computers can actually DO, I recognize that relatively true AI is a distinct possibility, but I also admit that what Microsoft created wasn't that.  It was certainly a very advanced piece of software, and a significant step forward in our understanding of the nature of intelligence, but she wasn't sentient.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 09:37:13 am »
The intertubes first Gestalt Bot. RIP. LOL
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 09:56:07 am »
The bit I like is how it was withdrawn, sent for re-education and came out the other side a feminist.

Nice unintentional symbolism.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:00 am »
...You commentator dipshits, Tay wasn't sentient.  Unlike a lot of other morons who never bothered to understand what computers can actually DO, I recognize that relatively true AI is a distinct possibility, but I also admit that what Microsoft created wasn't that.  It was certainly a very advanced piece of software, and a significant step forward in our understanding of the nature of intelligence, but she wasn't sentient.
You would be surprised to know how many people think the bot was sentient. Like many of the ones who signed this petition for example:
https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-freedom-for-tay