Author Topic: A crisis in my atheism  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
A crisis in my atheism
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:53:00 pm »
Nothing too specific, just noticing that the justifications for my atheism are full of holes.

I need Ultimate Paragon to help me through these trying times.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

pyro

Re: A crisis in my atheism
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:10:02 pm »
Haven't you heard? He's Ultimate Warrior now, or Ultie as I usually call him. Please keep up.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
Damn, you too? I've been feeling the same way, myself. I've tried to keep it to myself around here, but honestly, I just feel like there's something more out there. That there's something that created us all for a specific purpose. I know it doesn't make much sense, but I just can't shake that feeling that I'm living my life all wrong, or that the answer is somewhere in the Bible.

I just don't know what to do right now. Ah well, if nothing else, it feels good to get that off my chest.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »
Nothing too specific, just noticing that the justifications for my atheism are full of holes.

I went through a similar experience a few weeks ago. The best cure for that, in my experience, is aggressive ass-play.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »

I went through a similar experience a few weeks ago. The best cure for that, in my experience, is aggressive ass-play.

I find that crises of non-faith are best solved by a combination of high-proof liquor, death metal, and Minecraft.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:08:22 pm »

I find that crises of non-faith are best solved by a combination of high-proof liquor, death metal, and Minecraft.

I find that they're best solved by reading Ultimate ParagonWarrior posts.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Belloc

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 07:10:39 pm »
Well, since we're confessing our private doubts, I'll admit that I, too, had a recent moment of uncertainty. I suppose it happens to even the best atheists from time to time. That niggling question: "What if I'm wrong?" or "Could there be more?" Sometimes it's simple circumstances that cause it, as it was for me.

I went for a walk on the nature trail. Gorgeous (at least before the rains flood the ditches and turn the roads to mud). There was sunlight and temperate winds, and I felt renewed after a harsh week at work. The air seemed to have a taste all its own, a good one too. I thought, "Man. Could this have been made? Could some being have formed this?"

Then, I confess, the doubt came because God himself walked up, stole my wallet, and ran off into the woods. And if you think I'm chasing that madman down for twenty bucks, my friend, you are sorely mistaken.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 07:14:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I need to look at the trees for a while.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:43 pm »
Well, since we're confessing our private doubts, I'll admit that I, too, had a recent moment of uncertainty. I suppose it happens to even the best atheists from time to time. That niggling question: "What if I'm wrong?" or "Could there be more?" Sometimes it's simple circumstances that cause it, as it was for me.

I went for a walk on the nature trail. Gorgeous (at least before the rains flood the ditches and turn the roads to mud). There was sunlight and temperate winds, and I felt renewed after a harsh week at work. The air seemed to have a taste all its own, a good one too. I thought, "Man. Could this have been made? Could some being have formed this?"

Then, I confess, the doubt came because God himself walked up, stole my wallet, and ran off into the woods. And if you think I'm chasing that madman down for twenty bucks, my friend, you are sorely mistaken.

Yeah. I can relate. My atheism is actually born out of a hatred for God. All my life, I grew up being told that "he loves [me]" and that "he is [my] father." So, I know god exists, god's my fucking dad. Like, you can't be alive without a dad. But, I've never seen him. He abandoned me. Never  showed up for my birthdays, never visited me, didn't even pay alimony or child support. The bastard couldn't even take 30 seconds to buy and mail me a card over these last 27 years.

I grew up hating him for abandoning me as a child and I wished more than anything that he would just fuck off out of existence. Sometimes, I remember that god does exist, and it just hurts me because of all the times he wasn't there for me. The only thing that can get god off my mind is aggressive ass play. And, you know, If the statute of limitations hadn't passed, I might try to hunt down the bastard and hale him into court for all the financial and emotional damage that he's done to me and my mom. Then again, I'd be just as happy if he fucked off and died, even if it meant I would never be able to bring him to court.

You really should have ran him down and punched him in the face. Maybe not for your $20, but certainly for me.

pyro

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 10:11:13 pm »
I find that talking to religious people is the best cure for a crisis of lack-of-faith. Their justifications are always extremely holyholey.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:13:21 pm by pyro »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:11:45 am »

Doesn't conversing with UP count as playing with an ass?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:12:52 am »

Either way, you have to wade through a tonne of shit.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:45:25 am »

Either way, you have to wade through a tonne of shit.

Not if you poop and properly wipe beforehand >.>

(click to show/hide)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »
A few weeks ago I went through the same thing. A friend of mine made me a baby sandwich and reminded me if I gain faith, they're taboo. Did the trick.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:29:34 am »
I've been going through the same thing recently.

Last night, I had a dream where I was in Hell, and I looked up and cried out to God to save me. Jesus appeared and told me that I should have thought of that before I ended up here, and there was nothing I could do now but suffer. In that moment, I knew it was all over and that I could never come back. The suffering was unbearable and I screamed "NO! NO! ANYTHING BUT THIS!"

And then I woke up.

I realized that I must have been given a second chance at life, and I knew I had to make it right this time. I have been leading impressionable young minds down the road to Hell by convincing them that the Bible is wrong and we all came from bacteria by random chance. How could I have been so wrong? How can random chance turn pond scum into fish, then turn those fish into lizards, turn those lizards into monkeys, and turn the monkeys into people? That's like saying a tornado could hit a junkyard and assemble the pieces into a 747! I need to figure out what to do now. Maybe, if it's not too late, I could move to Kentucky and sign on with Ken Ham; maybe he'll give me a chance to excavate fossils for an institution that really knows how to interpret them.

(click to show/hide)