Author Topic: Arsonist kills a family, gets away with it  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Arsonist kills a family, gets away with it
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:44:08 am »
I want to point out this:

From the first article linked in the OP. Now, it's small, but we can still see that over 90% of complaints by Palestinians against Israelis don't even result in an indictment, much less a conviction. In fact, of those cases that do result in an indictment, almost a fourth of those are listed as "found guilty but not convicted", which is pretty damning on its own. The key line is "Only 2.5% of complaints by Palestinians result in an identification, indictment, and conviction".

But this statistic is useless without a comparison. So how about we compare it to the general conviction rate of the 75 largest countries in the world, in 2006?

Thankfully, we have a convenient study there that gives us that number.

It's 2/3. 66% of felony defendants are convicted. Even if we only count cases with an indictment, Israel isn't even managing half that. And to me, that's pretty damning.

And it's not hard to damn Israel.

To Ultimate Paragon, I have three words: statistics over anecdotes.

EDIT: Fixed broken link.

Yeah, it looks damning, but let's not jump to conclusions.  If you don't mind, I'd like to do some research, see if there are other possible explanations.

Still, I have to admit, you present a good case.

I've taken the liberty of doing some research for you.

option 1: the Palestinians are crying wolf over every little hangnail

option 2: the Israelis view the Palestinians as little more than rats and treat them accordingly

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 12:17:40 am »
Still, doubt they'd be as lenient with a Palestinian terrorist leader. The overall message still seems to be "eh, he's only a threat to Arabs".

Gee, I wonder which one of those options UP will pick. Deep mystery is deep.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:19:37 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 12:29:19 am »
option 3: Ignore the problem.

option 4: Concede that there "may be" something wrong here but in all later instances act as if Israel had never done anything wrong and that this thread had not happened.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 12:36:09 am »
I want to point out this:

From the first article linked in the OP. Now, it's small, but we can still see that over 90% of complaints by Palestinians against Israelis don't even result in an indictment, much less a conviction. In fact, of those cases that do result in an indictment, almost a fourth of those are listed as "found guilty but not convicted", which is pretty damning on its own. The key line is "Only 2.5% of complaints by Palestinians result in an identification, indictment, and conviction".

But this statistic is useless without a comparison. So how about we compare it to the general conviction rate of the 75 largest countries in the world, in 2006?

Thankfully, we have a convenient study there that gives us that number.

It's 2/3. 66% of felony defendants are convicted. Even if we only count cases with an indictment, Israel isn't even managing half that. And to me, that's pretty damning.

And it's not hard to damn Israel.

To Ultimate Paragon, I have three words: statistics over anecdotes.

EDIT: Fixed broken link.

Yeah, it looks damning, but let's not jump to conclusions.  If you don't mind, I'd like to do some research, see if there are other possible explanations.

Still, I have to admit, you present a good case.

I've taken the liberty of doing some research for you.

option 1: the Palestinians are crying wolf over every little hangnail

option 2: the Israelis view the Palestinians as little more than rats and treat them accordingly

That's a false dichotomy.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 12:59:17 am »
That's nice dear, now do you have anything to say about the numbers presented with linked evidence supporting your views or do you still need time to "research".

Shall we say two weeks then?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 04:44:03 am »
UP, those were humorous exaggerations.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:21 am »
That's a false dichotomy.

You know you're wrong about that and just to be a nice guy I'll prove it.

Ignoring any observations of what those numbers represent we have a simple mathematical problem: Israel produces massively lower numbers as a percentage than other modern first world nation states. For that to happen mathematically you need to either actually produce less (as in Israel is pursuing these cases less) or you need to inflate the numbers to lower the ratio (as in the Palestinians are making lots of false claims).

Those are the choices. Honest.

If you can't put up with that reality there is one more apolitical thing you could try. Prove the numbers wrong. This could be a corrupt data set and those to conditions are simply not true. Of course, that would require real proof of other numbers being in existence and not just a simple ad hom smear on the source of the numbers we're currently using. The other way the numbers could be wrong is if we are comparing apples to oranges. Since this argument is predicated on legal systems being similar enough to compare, if you can prove that's not the case the comparison falls apart. Doing that is very simple; you need to demonstrate that the legal system in Israel is internally consistent across all demographics. If that's just their conviction rate, that's just their conviction rate so the options I presented simply don't apply.

Hopes this helps with your research.