Author Topic: Polish government plans to ban abortions  (Read 833 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Polish government plans to ban abortions
« on: September 30, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »
The current Polish laws allow abortion only if the pregnancy is a result of a rape or either the woman's or the fetus's life is in danger. These extremely restrictive laws are way too liberal for the current extreme-right government and they have plans to ban the procedure completely. The Polish women are not going to just go to the kitchen and shut up about this, though. The women workers in over 60 cities are planning a strike and some companies are going to support them by closing their doors. We'll see if the Polish government is enough of a fundamentalist Catholic to allow their economy to take such a hit. We'll also see if the Pope is going to comment about this issue but I'm not holding my breath about it since the Catholic church officially supports this law.

Oh, and would this law prevent any abortions? I doubt it:

According to official figures, around 1,000 legal abortions are performed in Poland every year. However, it is estimated that a considerably higher number also take place illegally, with up to 150,000 women each year performing abortions on themselves often with pills bought online.

Even if the law would prevent every single of those legal abortions from taking place this would be only about 0,7% of all the abortions in Poland.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Polish government plans to ban abortions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:35 pm »
I wonder how many of those 150,000 women die as a result of their self-induced abortions, instead of being able to obtain them in safe conditions.

Pro-life my ass.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.