Author Topic: Will Canada be Trumped?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Will Canada be Trumped?
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:44:11 pm »
I'm a Canadian.  I've been watching with horror the rise of Trump, and ever since he won, I've been terrified that the same thing is about to happen here.

We like to believe ourselves to be better then Americans, but the same process by witch Trump took over the republican party seems to be repeating itself.  The conservative party leadership is divided between a massive number of candidates, resulting with an attention seeking race baiting xenophobe named Kellie Leitch emerging as the front runner.  Meanwhile we've got our own deranged rich asshole turned reality star Kevin O'leary making noises about running.

I want to believe that it won't happen, but all the pieces seem to be in place.  If a man as unstable as Rob Ford could somehow be mayor of Toronto, why can't we get our own Trump?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: Will Canada be Trumped?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:09:29 pm »
Well, I think it would be a good idea to examine the causes of Trump's victory, and see if they apply in Canada.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Will Canada be Trumped?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »
We get to watch the shitshow of a Trump presidency for a while before we get put in a position of deciding if is a good idea to try and emulate it here. I like to think that this isn't the only thing that will save us, but there are days when I'm not so sure that we really are better than that.

I think the only thing from Trump's victory that really applies to Canada is the existence of the 'left behind' demographic. We have never really adapted to the new economy and we certainly haven't done a good job of helping those people stuck in the old one as it dies. The siren call of the good old days could be quite a lure to them. It could also be a lure to the dissatisfied youth who see what the future looks like for them.