Author Topic: Making Arkansas Great Again  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Making Arkansas Great Again
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:07:48 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/arkansas-abortion-law-that-will-let-rapists-sue-victims-husbands-second-trimester-a7561066.html

A pregnant woman's husband will have the power to stop her from having an abortion, even in cases of spousal rape, under a new law introduced in the US state of Arkansas. 

Most second trimester abortions will also be banned by Act 45 - the Unborn Child Protection From Dismemberment Abortion Act - which will make it possible for husbands to sue doctors who carry out abortions for civil damages, or get an injunction to block the termination.

The pro-life law, which was pushed through in just two months by the state's Republican government, prohibits all dilation and evacuation (D&E) procedures, in which the physician removes the foetus from the womb with surgical tools.

They are so pro-life that they have deemed that a rapist has more rights over a pregnant woman than the woman herself...

The article does point out that the other six states who tried to get similar laws failed as courts struck them down so I don't know if there is still a chance of that...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Making Arkansas Great Again
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 08:18:02 am »
I'd not be surprised if it got struck down.  Not for any good reasons, mind, just that it's too useful a political boogeyman for them to ever actually do anything about it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:35:35 am »
This reminds me of an interesting article I came across the other day.

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/1/27/14417866/abortion-survey-republican-men

Basically sort of like how most republicans and even NRA members actually support gun control but the GOP is fanatically against it, the majority of republican men are sort of pro-choice despite the party leadership being fanatically anti-choice.

59% oppose nominating a supreme court nominee based on him being anti-abortion.
51% oppose defunding planned parenthood.
46% think the government should protect women's right to abortion
55% want abortion services to be widely available and the experience supportive
56% want abortion to be affordable.
61% want women to be able to get abortions without being subjected to picketers.
93% think women should receive accurate unbiased information.

Now male republicans are also wildly misinformed about abortion but it's strange why the republican party is so fanatically out of step with their own voters on the issue.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:54:12 am by Skybison »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:29 am »
...I can't find the video now, I think it was from Daily show, where a politician who is anti-abortion is asked why does he think women get abortions. He is actually surprised by the question, tries to answer and then admits that he hasn't actually thought about it. Ever.

Then why does he is he so adamantly against abortion?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:27:34 am »
...I can't find the video now, I think it was from Daily show, where a politician who is anti-abortion is asked why does he think women get abortions. He is actually surprised by the question, tries to answer and then admits that he hasn't actually thought about it. Ever.

Then why does he is he so adamantly against abortion?

Because the (actually pro-abortion) Bible says so!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 07:38:59 am »
This reminds me of an interesting article I came across the other day.

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/1/27/14417866/abortion-survey-republican-men

Basically sort of like how most republicans and even NRA members actually support gun control but the GOP is fanatically against it, the majority of republican men are sort of pro-choice despite the party leadership being fanatically anti-choice.

59% oppose nominating a supreme court nominee based on him being anti-abortion.
51% oppose defunding planned parenthood.
46% think the government should protect women's right to abortion
55% want abortion services to be widely available and the experience supportive
56% want abortion to be affordable.
61% want women to be able to get abortions without being subjected to picketers.
93% think women should receive accurate unbiased information.

Now male republicans are also wildly misinformed about abortion but it's strange why the republican party is so fanatically out of step with their own voters on the issue.

One, the name sounds scary; remember, the Republican party's primary tactic is fear.  Two, its a useful political bogeyman; its a sign things "ain't what they used to be" and that frightens old people and the mentally deficient.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:51:46 pm »

I'd be interested to know how strongly those opinions on abortion are held. If they're only held tepidly, then it wouldn't be as major an issue for those voters and the Republicans can push their "party of tax cuts" lie (or some other such bullshit) to get their votes. Also, at a guess, I'd say it's also a matter of ideologues being more likely to run for office.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.