Author Topic: Violence at Berkeley  (Read 17626 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Violence at Berkeley
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2017, 01:01:59 am »
I thought it was an attempt to dodge the question.

I wasn't. I thought you were basing your line of questioning on false assumptions, and I was trying to help you see my perspective. But you're right, I should have been more straightforward with you. And from now on, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

This was my first question - what did you think the false assumption was?

Your link goes to an article about how the 'black block anarchists' were actually opposed to the Occupy movement. So you are worried that groups are going to be delegitimized by other people who aren't part of them?

Are you worried about misogynists delegitimatizing the feminist movement?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2017, 08:23:48 pm »
So, no worry about the expressed worry that Milo was planning to out undocumented students just to fuck with them and ruin their lives? Like he did to a trans student in a previous speech? This is a rare occasion where I fully agree with rioting to prevent him from speaking. He is simply prepared to go so far that the damage the rioting did and the benefit he gained PR-wise is the lesser of two evils.

Edit:

Moved to the appropriate thread.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:39:32 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:21 pm »
Shit.  In that light...yer not wrong.  Better to protect a few and slightly inflate a lunatic's ego than risk the safety of multiple people.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »
So, no worry about the expressed worry that Milo was planning to out undocumented students just to fuck with them and ruin their lives? Like he did to a trans student in a previous speech? This is a rare occasion where I fully agree with rioting to prevent him from speaking. He is simply prepared to go so far that the damage the rioting did and the benefit he gained PR-wise is the lesser of two evils.

Edit:

That's the thing about Milo's speech. He really is the guy who yells "fire" in a crowded theatre, he does it for shits anf giggles and defends himself by saying "well, I didn't trample anyone!"

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2017, 11:51:42 pm »

Edit:

Okay, you think he was planning to reveal the identities of illegal immigrants. Where's the proof? The UC Berkeley letter only said that he might have been planning to do so. And nowhere in the Breitbart article does it say Yiannopoulos was actually planning to expose them. We can speculate about what he was planning to do until the cows come home, but unless and until I see some hard evidence, I'm not going to believe it.

And why, exactly, did he have to be on campus to out them? Maybe there's some context I'm missing, but I'm thinking if he really wanted to out them, he would have made a video and uploaded it to YouTube after his event was cancelled.

I might give credence to this claim if he actually did out Kramer. But he didn't. Not only had she already been public with her identity for months, she was at the center of a well-publicized controversy. The picture of her he showed was actually a screenshot from a TV news story about her. What he said about Ms. Kramer was disgusting, but in no way did he out her. Yiannopoulos is a tool, and I don't like him at all. But I will dislike him for what he's actually said and done, not for the unsubstantiated or outright false stories about him.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:45 am »
Well it's not like the festering wound has used his platform to identify and harass anyone before...oh wait he totally did!

In any case, since he's been outed as totally in favor of adult men getting their dicks sucked by children his career is over. Fuck the pestilent little toerag, he's done.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 01:50:47 am »
Thanks for correcting the mistake but as far as I'm concerned the difference between outing and public humiliation for its own sake is almost zero when it comes to this issue. After that I support denying him any platform as long as it does not involve violence towards him (even with mild violence I wouldn't support it but I would give zero shits à la Spencer punching). He is maliciously abusing the notions of free speech and high moral ground and is only reaping what he sows. I am well aware about the lack of concrete evidence behind the suspicion of outing undocumented students but this is not a court of law and Milo has pretty much given up his right for any benefit of a doubt in these matters with his own actions.

I'm not going to bother debating this issue. I know the counterarguments that you are going to present; there is a certain logic behind them but it boils down to playing the game with the rules Milo wants to abuse.

Even Then

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:01 am »
https://i.imgur.com/JRfWCGU.jpg

Wow just look at this lack of evidence. Wowee I am just flabbergasted at this complete lack of evidence that Milo Yiannopoulos advocates for the mistreatment of illegal immigrants

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:38 am »
But there is no written and signed confession with him saying he definitely is planning to out certain particular individuals at that particular time in the university in question. We should give him the benefit of a doubt that he is there to make a political point and not planning to abuse vulnerable people he openly hates.

Even Then

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2017, 07:34:23 am »
And we must also remember that expressing a desire to abuse vulnerable people, and encouraging the same in your large audience, is not an act of abuse. It's just a political point that exists away from reality in the mystical otherworld of Politics, and doesn't affect reality whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:58:17 pm by Even Then »

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2017, 09:53:43 am »
Thanks for correcting the mistake but as far as I'm concerned the difference between outing and public humiliation for its own sake is almost zero when it comes to this issue. After that I support denying him any platform as long as it does not involve violence towards him (even with mild violence I wouldn't support it but I would give zero shits à la Spencer punching). He is maliciously abusing the notions of free speech and high moral ground and is only reaping what he sows. I am well aware about the lack of concrete evidence behind the suspicion of outing undocumented students but this is not a court of law and Milo has pretty much given up his right for any benefit of a doubt in these matters with his own actions.

I'm not going to bother debating this issue. I know the counterarguments that you are going to present; there is a certain logic behind them but it boils down to playing the game with the rules Milo wants to abuse.

I wasn't planning to start a debate. I just wanted to point out the truth. This isn't the hill I want to die on.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.