Community > Society and History

Tennessee: "let's kill a teen and then make her family pay for it"

(1/2) > >>

Askold:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/24/billed-for-guardrail-death/99601304/

Note that the title is slightly exaggerated. What actually happened is that a teen crashed her car and died when impacting with a guard rail and now her family is billed for the replacement.

...But there are more things that are wrong with this. You see, the rail isn't safe. It doesn't work on speeds over 60mph and the bit of road where the accident happened has a speed limit of 70mph. And the railings of that type used to work until the company that made them changed the blueprints to make the product cheaper, a change that also made them more dangerous (you know, the opposite of what they are supposed to do.)

...There are so many things that are wrong with this.

dpareja:
Hey, we've got to pay for those tax cuts for the rich somehow!

Katsuro:
Ignoring the heartlessness of this for a moment...in Tennessee you can be billed for something someone else did just because they're related to you? WTF?  Plus, things like that are paid for by taxes...which presumably the family pays so effectively they're being billed twice.

Canadian Mojo:

--- Quote from: Katsuro on March 28, 2017, 10:00:33 am ---Ignoring the heartlessness of this for a moment...in Tennessee you can be billed for something someone else did just because they're related to you? WTF?  Plus, things like that are paid for by taxes...which presumably the family pays so effectively they're being billed twice.

--- End quote ---

They actually billed the dead girl. In fairness, they also freely admit it was a big fuck-up to do that. My guess is that the accident didn't get flagged as fatal in the report so a repair bill was sent out or it was meant to go directly to her insurance company to deal with.

I wonder if the accident itself has the makings of a good negligence suit for the family.

Katsuro:

--- Quote from: Canadian Mojo on March 28, 2017, 10:24:47 am ---
--- Quote from: Katsuro on March 28, 2017, 10:00:33 am ---Ignoring the heartlessness of this for a moment...in Tennessee you can be billed for something someone else did just because they're related to you? WTF?  Plus, things like that are paid for by taxes...which presumably the family pays so effectively they're being billed twice.

--- End quote ---

They actually billed the dead girl. In fairness, they also freely admit it was a big fuck-up to do that. My guess is that the accident didn't get flagged as fatal in the report so a repair bill was sent out or it was meant to go directly to her insurance company to deal with.

I wonder if the accident itself has the makings of a good negligence suit for the family.

--- End quote ---

Ok but even so,  the authorities billing accident victims at all??  Seems kinda messed up unless you can prove they did something criminal like drink driving or "driving without due care and attention" etc, in which case that's a court case and a fine, rather just simply being sent the bill for repairs.  I've never heard of anyone over here being billed for an accident (outside of a criminal prosecution resulting in a fine of course).  And I don't mean insurance excesses or anything like that either.  I've been in car accidents and never once thought "I hope the council doesn't make us pay for any of this". 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version