Author Topic: Mayor of San Antonio is an anti-atheist bigot  (Read 1205 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Mayor of San Antonio is an anti-atheist bigot
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:37 pm »
https://www.atheists.org/2017/04/atheists-invite-san-antonio-mayor-meet-constituents-anti-atheist-remarks/

There's really no other way to put it. The Mayor of San Antonio blamed generational poverty on people who don't have a relationship with their Creator, i.e. atheists.

And then she tried to "clarify" her remarks by way of apology, such apology and clarification only making it clear that, yes, in fact, she is bigoted against atheists.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Mayor of San Antonio is an anti-atheist bigot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
welp. That's fucked.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:25:30 pm »
Oh Texas...not surprised.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
The start of her "apology" was the standard whining that her crystal clear, unedited words were manipulated by the video editor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:34 pm »
Actual reply from someone:

If there aren't enough atheists in San Antonio to vote that mayor out of office, they can always vote with their feet. I hear Houston may be more to their liking.

That was to me, and now I'm waiting to see what he'll say about my saying that I'm not comfortable with Houston's subpoena in that case.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
Is it weird that I am more interested in knowing what she has done to address poverty as the Mayor of San Antonio - I mean if she's saying this and at the same time trying to implement good structural reforms well I'm not sure I care too much on the otherhand if she's starting programs to give homeless peoples bibles instead of food then this is a problem.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
Is it weird that I am more interested in knowing what she has done to address poverty as the Mayor of San Antonio - I mean if she's saying this and at the same time trying to implement good structural reforms well I'm not sure I care too much on the otherhand if she's starting programs to give homeless peoples bibles instead of food then this is a problem.

I'd have to check on this as I am not a Texan, but I'd be wiling to wager she's doing jack shit either way.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:40:24 am »

If she does try to address poverty this is less of a problem but it still is a problem. When you have a minority who encounters actual prejudices it matters what is said about them especially when it comes from a community leader. The main way to fight the open expressions of prejudice is to openly and strongly condemn them and a leader who strengthens these prejudices should be held accountable.