Community > Religion and Philosophy

Church of Sweden declares God not male, fundie snowflakes melt down

(1/3) > >>

dpareja:
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/castrating-god-conservative-christians-melt-down-after-church-of-sweden-says-god-not-male/

The Church of Sweden held a meeting at which they voted to recognize that God is neither male nor female.

And fundamentalist snowflakes have melted down over this.

Fundie Tears are so, so sweet.

Art Vandelay:
So basically, this is like the time J. K. Rowling declared that Dumbledore was actually gay all along.

Katsuro:
God being neither male nor female actually makes total sense in a way if you think about it for any length of time.  A being of that nature would not have a gender at least not in the way we do....why/how would an all powerful creature, the only one in existence, have any gender in the same manner in which regular biological animals do?  I mean what's it going to with those sperm or ovaries?  It's the only being of that kind.  It's supernatural with unlimited power; a being beyond our understanding, existing outside the realms of  the natural world of without conforming to the laws of physics and biology.  It wouldn't need to procreate in the way non-supernatural creatures do when it can literally speak entire universes into reality.

The only reason God is a "He" is because, and yep I'm going to be that person, in many cultures "male" is for whatever reasons thought of as the default whether consciously or not.  Which is reflected in Genesis when God created Eve as an afterthought to Adam.

dpareja:
I remember reading a book of Jewish mythology in which it's explained that at first, God created Adam and Lilith the same way, but Lilith got too uppity, so God kicked her out and made Eve out of Adam to emphasize that women are supposed to be subservient to men.

BobRumba:
I was once banned from a religion forum for referring to God as an “it”.  I was told it was blasphemy and I was removed.  Those who follow my posts probably know who i’m talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version