Author Topic: Bible Question  (Read 9143 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Bible Question
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »
Does the bible say anything specific about suicide?

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: Bible Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »
Not that I'm aware of.  There are several verses that Christians use to say suicide is a sin such as:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11)

and

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

There are a few others, but these are two that are used to dissuade someone from committing suicide.

But your inquiry begs the question; Is there something we need to know or are you just asking a general question.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:17:56 pm »
"Thou shalt not kill" is usually interpreted to include suicide, and in the views of the Catholic church, suicide is an instant way to Hell because you're circumventing God's plan.

And I second Star Cluster's question.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:42 pm »
"Thou shalt not kill" is usually interpreted to include suicide, and in the views of the Catholic church, suicide is an instant way to Hell because you're circumventing God's plan.

And I second Star Cluster's question.

I think it's worth pointing out that the Catholic stance on suicide is relatively recent, a response to a massive swelling of suicides caused by people wanting to reach heaven as soon as possible. Since you can't bilk money out of dead people, the Church decreed suicide an instant gate to hell to preserve their source of income.

The Bible itself never addresses suicide.

Distind

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »
I think it's worth pointing out that the Catholic stance on suicide is relatively recent, a response to a massive swelling of suicides caused by people wanting to reach heaven as soon as possible. Since you can't bilk money out of dead people, the Church decreed suicide an instant gate to hell to preserve their source of income.

Is there an incident name or some reference I can start digging into this one on? I'm curious and would like to read up a bit.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:25 pm »
Is there an incident name or some reference I can start digging into this one on? I'm curious and would like to read up a bit.

I actually seem to be having trouble finding any relative stories about the development of the modern Catholic stance on suicide. But I feel it's worth mentioning that the Catechism of the Church states "We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives." Obviously, their own established doctrine isn't being recognized with their modern stance of suicide being instant hell.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »

I actually seem to be having trouble finding any relative stories about the development of the modern Catholic stance on suicide. But I feel it's worth mentioning that the Catechism of the Church states "We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives." Obviously, their own established doctrine isn't being recognized with their modern stance of suicide being instant hell.

I believe that since Vatican 2, it is no longer an automatic ticket due to mental illness...and for a while before that you had to spend a shitload of time in purgatory.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:23:17 am »
Jewish law forbids suicide, although those who were of unsound mind (ie, most of them) get a pass.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:14:36 am »
The idea that the church doesn't want people committing suicide out of essentially compassion and philantropy is preposterous, of course. [/sarcasm]

On topic, the church was condemning suicide at least since the Werther fever 1774.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »
The idea that the church doesn't want people committing suicide out of essentially compassion and philantropy is preposterous, of course. [/sarcasm]

On topic, the church was condemning suicide at least since the Werther fever 1774.

Just as preposterous as the idea that the church would harbor child-rapists and try to excuse their actions for decades, if not centuries. [/sarcasm]

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:03:17 pm »

Just as preposterous as the idea that the church would harbor child-rapists and try to excuse their actions for decades, if not centuries. [/sarcasm]
Indeed.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »
I second others concerns about why your asking this. You never answered the question. Out of concern and having spent 6 months in a mental institution for suicidal thoughts I have to say it's a little strange that you ask this out of the blue.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov