Author Topic: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?  (Read 12835 times)

Distind

Re: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »
I started thinking about this shortly after posting, and terrorism is an inherently flawed plan: you're attempting to force much more powerful nations into fear and submission through attacking them. The problem is, terrorism doesn't really do anything but make people want to kill you as fast as possible. I can't think of any time where terrorists have actually achieved their goal beyond short-term fear before getting caught and killed or imprisoned. Not to mention that their targets tend to be so much more powerful than them that it's akin to trying to knock down a skyscraper by shooting at it with a handgun.
Toss in a system where sacrificing your life for 'the cause' gets you eternal glory, then it starts making some level of sense.

It's not really about winning so much. Just making sure other people suffer. Which they generally manage quite well.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »
The reason they brought the Chechen War to America?  Dear knows.  I'd hazard a guess that they're angry that the rest of the world has done nothing to intervene in the Chechen conflict, although how they think taking on another Superpower will help is anyone's guess.

If they ARE Muslim, I'd guess extremist Islamic terrorism.

If they're not Muslim......I ain't got a damn clue.

To me, if they are muslims, it sounds like the worst kind of logic - basically "If America doesn't do anything about Chechnya, then we'll bomb you!".  Which means America will do something about Chechnya:  They'll go all out to help the Russians.

I started thinking about this shortly after posting, and terrorism is an inherently flawed plan: you're attempting to force much more powerful nations into fear and submission through attacking them. The problem is, terrorism doesn't really do anything but make people want to kill you as fast as possible. I can't think of any time where terrorists have actually achieved their goal beyond short-term fear before getting caught and killed or imprisoned. Not to mention that their targets tend to be so much more powerful than them that it's akin to trying to knock down a skyscraper by shooting at it with a handgun.

That's pretty much the situation in Northern Ireland in the 1970's and 80's:  The terrorists thought they would get their wishes if they used force, the British military responded in kind and the thing went on and on.  But what has to be realised is that, to the terrorists, there is no mountain of skulls too high, no lake of blood too deep to achieve their ambitions.  The fact that they will turn against them the very same people who would have sympathised with them isn't something they can comprehend.  There were doubtless people in Boston who would have felt some no small measure of sympathy for those in Chechnya before, but not now.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »
The reason they brought the Chechen War to America?  Dear knows.  I'd hazard a guess that they're angry that the rest of the world has done nothing to intervene in the Chechen conflict, although how they think taking on another Superpower will help is anyone's guess.

If they ARE Muslim, I'd guess extremist Islamic terrorism.

If they're not Muslim......I ain't got a damn clue.

To me, if they are muslims, it sounds like the worst kind of logic - basically "If America doesn't do anything about Chechnya, then we'll bomb you!".  Which means America will do something about Chechnya:  They'll go all out to help the Russians.

That's pretty much the situation in Northern Ireland in the 1970's and 80's:  The terrorists thought they would get their wishes if they used force, the British military responded in kind and the thing went on and on.  But what has to be realised is that, to the terrorists, there is no mountain of skulls too high, no lake of blood too deep to achieve their ambitions.  The fact that they will turn against them the very same people who would have sympathised with them isn't something they can comprehend.  There were doubtless people in Boston who would have felt some no small measure of sympathy for those in Chechnya before, but not now.

So they're basically like The Joker except they attach political excuses to it. They don't feel right unless there's mayhem somewhere.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »
I think they truly believe in the cause, but they're too whacked to understand what they're doing and what the consequences are. They seem to think that violence really IS the answer and that it'll be a "this time" solution. You know the thinking: "This time it'll work! I know it's never worked before, but this time will be different!"

So they keep going without ever looking at anything else, because they can't understand anything but a violent solution. And when they die, they become a martyr. None of their comrades look at the results and think "Maybe this isn't working" because they've already decided that it will.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 01:03:43 pm »
It seems the older brother & perhaps the younger took a trip to Chechnya, met some Islamozealots, perhaps those affiliated with Al Queda, and got brainwashed & radicalized.

The whole mess in Chechnya & their independence movement has been hijacked by Islamozealots. Islamozealotry is rampant because of the chaos in those lands. There needs to be a way to counter this B.S.

Y'know, if the Russians would've just given them independence, none of this would be happening.

Good Muslims need to counter the bad Muslims! They should educate Muslim kids early on so they are not susceptible to the temptation & corruption on the Islamozealots. Why aren't they out in force? WIMPS! PANSIES!

Distind

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
Other thread has more information, so I'm going to just lock this to centralize the discussion.