Author Topic: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:17:40 am »
I couldn't find a thread on this, so I figured we should start one.

First, I do think that this new series measures up to the original. Tyson is, of course, the acknowledged heir to Carl Sagan. And they've made it very clear where they are getting their inspiration. I misted up at the end of the first episode. I also want to commend them for finally making the common "compress the history of the universe into a year" teaching device WORK for me. It was beautifully done.

Also, I look forward to hearing the fundies whine about last night's episode. I think that Ann Druyan made a conscious decision to give minimal time to intelligent design, save to take one of their favorite arguments and RIP IT TO SHREDS!

Finally, did anyone else think that the intro was basically Star Trek minus the Enterprise?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:22 am »
Think I'll check it out.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:31 am »
It's pretty good so far. A little light on the astronomy, and I really think the first episode devoted way too much time to Giordano Bruno, but I suppose it's still early days. I guess they're saving the meat of the series for later episodes.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:24:08 pm »
The last episode was basically a giant "fuck you" to creationists. love it.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »
Lots of people in the United States have a phobia of math and science. I hope the new Cosmos will stand on its own as a great series and encourage more people to study math and science.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.