Author Topic: Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
No, you would be the same person unless you use an alias, then you've created a whole new character but if you are transitioning and it's the name you've decided on you're the same person. The facts of the case would have to go into it. If you are basically making up your entire personality not just traits here and there how is that not pretending to be a different person?

Then why the fuck did you bring up the comparison of people lying about their traits? You were the one who made that comparison, not me.
My point was people are not their collection of traits, otherwise we'd all be literally new people whenever we changed or gained a trait, and the old person would literally disappear.

Who are we to say who should've cared in what case? If it's legitimate for someone to care that someone is of one category "their boyfriend" it's legitimate for someone to care that someone is of another like a race or religion and protect one you should protect the other too.

Are you seriously saying that a person who sues over someone's race or religion is the same as this case? If someone lies about their religion then they lied about one trait, not their whole identity. Also, one cannot have sex with someone's religion, or race. Those are just concepts. This case had her having sex with the wrong person, not the wrong race, or religion. Not only are you missing the point, but you are also belittling this woman's case, as if her concern is as ridiculous as racism or religious intolerance.
In this case, this person did not know WHO she was having sex with. She consented to sex with her boyfriend, not this man. Consent to a specific person is not consent to another at that moment.

Again, the issue is that she didn't know WHO she was having sex with. She had sex with the wrong person, not the same person who lied about their traits. It's not like she consented to some imaginary character that the man just made up.

And the man in my example made up an entirely different personality, the interaction online was done with a persona, so you aren't interacting with the same personality.

Those traits are not the same as boyfriend. "Boyfriend" is not a trait. If someone pretended to be someone with all the same traits as her boyfriend, that doesn't mean he's her boyfriend. You also didn't take memories into account. In that case then I think it would be rape, depending on the fact that the person made up another personality, not just a bunch of traits. And yes, there is a difference.

Even if you say "but the persona came out of the same person" then what about the other example where the person tricking you online is not the same person you meet in real life? And would that still count if someone portrayed themselves as person X but wasn't online, got you to agree to have sex with them while chatting online, then you go you have sex with person X and then find out that person X was never the person posting online. Then did you have sex with the person you expected to because they are the person and personality that you learned of online or were you just tricked into having sex with a completely different person because it's not technically the same person you were talking to online?

Alright this was kind of hard for me to read. If someone pretends to be someone else online that you know, has sex with you, then yeah that's rape. You didn't give consent to sex with them.
Rape is defined by the FBI as “penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”

She consented to sex with her boyfriend, not the man. So yes, this is rape.

BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Re: Law Won't Protect Unmarried Victims in Rape
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »
Alright this was kind of hard for me to read. If someone pretends to be someone else online that you know, has sex with you, then yeah that's rape. You didn't give consent to sex with them.

So then if someone pretends to be a girl but is really a boy you could argue that they were pretending to be someone who didn't actually exist and so it's rape.

Rape is defined by the FBI as “penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”

And if I say that I only consent on the condition that the person I am having sex with is the right form of religion, or any other factor then I'm not giving my consent to have sex with that person in the case that they are not.

Also how is "Boyfriend" not a "trait"?
"a distinguishing characteristic or quality, especially of one's personal nature"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trait
It certainly is of a personal nature and certainly would be distinguishing for someone to be someone's "boyfriend" hence it is a "trait".