Author Topic: Texas can force students to wear locator chips  (Read 5429 times)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: Texas can force students to wear locator chips
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:08 am »
Important to consider the culture in which this sort of thing flourishes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/05/private-firms-fear-9-11
Those cashing in on the international "war on terror" pale beside the security boom that is taking place in the US itself. Across America, new organisations sprang up in the wake of 9/11 as the flow of money was turned on. Nine days after the tragedy, Congress committed $40bn to fortify America's domestic anti-terror defences. In 2002, the figure was a further $36.5bn. In 2003 it was $44bn. More than 260 new government organisations have been created since 2001. The biggest of all is the Department of Homeland Security, whose workforce is 230,000-strong and awaiting new headquarters in Washington, which will be the biggest new federal building since the Pentagon. It is rising up on the grounds of a former asylum.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:25 am »
According to the supreme court they need reasonable suspicion for searching a kids locker for drugs but no warrant etc.  I dunno actually if like the locator chip acts funky does that mean they can look through the locker. 

Distind

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:42 am »
It reeks of a collapse of public trust and the furtherance of any attempt at instilling some level of responsibility into teenagers.

If they fail, they get booted from the school. If they can float by now, raise the standards until they have to show up to class or they fail. Make them work their asses off to attend the specialized school. Otherwise you're just rounding them up like cattle and odds are they'll behave like it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
Not according tot he authorities

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 11:39:48 am »

Those cashing in on the international "war on terror" pale beside the security boom that is taking place in the US itself. Across America, new organisations sprang up in the wake of 9/11 as the flow of money was turned on. Nine days after the tragedy, Congress committed $40bn to fortify America's domestic anti-terror defences. In 2002, the figure was a further $36.5bn. In 2003 it was $44bn. More than 260 new government organisations have been created since 2001. The biggest of all is the Department of Homeland Security, whose workforce is 230,000-strong and awaiting new headquarters in Washington, which will be the biggest new federal building since the Pentagon. It is rising up on the grounds of a former asylum.

Hey, paranoia is a cash cow, and we're going to milk it dry and then some.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:22:59 pm »

Hey, paranoia is a cash cow, and we're going to milk it dry and then some.
I wonder if paranoia and spending was the intent of terrorists?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 11:27:54 pm »
I think Al Queida confirmed they wanted to hurt Americas wallet by having us waste all our money.  Also the pat downs etc at the airport also prove their points about Islam being under attack (yes just a concidence the girl they pulled over for extra screening wears the hijab)

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 11:50:34 pm »

Kind of ironic considering the UK government is really no better. In some ways it's worse. Their government puts up cameras in public places all over their cities to watch their own citizens 24-7.

As far as the RFID chip in the students' ID, I personally have no problems with it. How much do you want to bet most of the students and the people who are concerned carry around cell phones? Location technology has been manufactured into every cell phone since the early 2000s and you can't turn it off, so if you have a mobile phone the government can track you anyway.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:20 am »
Having actually read the article, I cannot fathom what is more stupid. That they do this, or that they have some weird education funding scheme that encourages this.

I can think of multiple reasons to have children wear locator chips, primarily for safety. However, doing this just to check if they are in the classroom at the start of the day is stupid, especially with the scope limited to just the school and seemingly just the classroom.

On a personal note though, I actually do not have a problem with school children being required to wear locators. It can be instituted as part of a student ID card and part of the students uniform. It can have a verity of benefits. I personally see school as a public enough environment that personal privacy is really not a relevant issue. In a world where students can be abducted or have accidents on their way to school and such, being able to locate them quickly and directly can be of great help. Like I said this is my personal opinion on the matter.

Nobody ever considers that the students have to be in school. They are required to be there. Shouldn't that make us more cautious about protecting their rights and not less?

I could support locators if the kids were on a field trip somewhere spacious and easy to get lost in, but they shouldn't have to wear them around the school, and certainly not while out of school. Schools reach too far outside of school. A girl I knew back in high school got detention for writing something about another girl that she left in her diary and then her snoopy sister brought it into school. That's reaching too far when schools assume the authority to punish people for private things written at home and never intended to be taken to school. Her sister should've been punished for violating her sister's privacy and bringing that in.

Schools need to have rules as any institution does. But they don't need to go crazy with it. Just take attendance. Record tardies. Record absences. Have some disciplinary action for too many, but be logically consistent and don't make tardies worse than absences(my school did that). Make sure kids aren't harrassing each other in the hallways or in class. Make sure kids aren't being disruptive in class. Have contact with the parents and if necessary professionals in order to help students who are having academic problems. If a kid brings a gun into the school call the cops, because that is really serious. Alcohol, tobacco, drugs, confiscate, throw away, call the kid's parents and subject the kid to some disciplinary action such as suspension, no need to involve the police. Too much misbehavior means expulsion.

That's really all schools need. They don't need to be tagging kids with locators, they don't need to be policing them when they are off campus (unless it's for being absent when they should be on campus), they don't need drug-testing, they don't need dog locker sniffing unless someone thinks there's a bomb.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 01:56:54 am »
As far as the RFID chip in the students' ID, I personally have no problems with it. How much do you want to bet most of the students and the people who are concerned carry around cell phones? Location technology has been manufactured into every cell phone since the early 2000s and you can't turn it off, so if you have a mobile phone the government can track you anyway.

The only problem with this argument is that you can keep yourself from being tracked by either jerking out the battery to the phone or, if you're a DIY type person, you can jam or remove the GPS antenna and delete the carrier tracking software on your phone. But the biggest problem with this argument is also a very simple one: you're not required to take your cell phone with you anywhere.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 04:33:58 am »

The only problem with this argument is that you can keep yourself from being tracked by either jerking out the battery to the phone or, if you're a DIY type person, you can jam or remove the GPS antenna and delete the carrier tracking software on your phone. But the biggest problem with this argument is also a very simple one: you're not required to take your cell phone with you anywhere.

This assumes that

A. Most teenagers are smart enough to do that with their phones without utterly trashing them, and

B. That most teenagers wouldn't sooner die than part with their precious phones.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:00 am »
Having actually read the article, I cannot fathom what is more stupid. That they do this, or that they have some weird education funding scheme that encourages this.

I can think of multiple reasons to have children wear locator chips, primarily for safety. However, doing this just to check if they are in the classroom at the start of the day is stupid, especially with the scope limited to just the school and seemingly just the classroom.

On a personal note though, I actually do not have a problem with school children being required to wear locators. It can be instituted as part of a student ID card and part of the students uniform. It can have a verity of benefits. I personally see school as a public enough environment that personal privacy is really not a relevant issue. In a world where students can be abducted or have accidents on their way to school and such, being able to locate them quickly and directly can be of great help. Like I said this is my personal opinion on the matter.

Nobody ever considers that the students have to be in school. They are required to be there. Shouldn't that make us more cautious about protecting their rights and not less?

I could support locators if the kids were on a field trip somewhere spacious and easy to get lost in, but they shouldn't have to wear them around the school, and certainly not while out of school. Schools reach too far outside of school. A girl I knew back in high school got detention for writing something about another girl that she left in her diary and then her snoopy sister brought it into school. That's reaching too far when schools assume the authority to punish people for private things written at home and never intended to be taken to school. Her sister should've been punished for violating her sister's privacy and bringing that in.

Schools need to have rules as any institution does. But they don't need to go crazy with it. Just take attendance. Record tardies. Record absences. Have some disciplinary action for too many, but be logically consistent and don't make tardies worse than absences(my school did that). Make sure kids aren't harrassing each other in the hallways or in class. Make sure kids aren't being disruptive in class. Have contact with the parents and if necessary professionals in order to help students who are having academic problems. If a kid brings a gun into the school call the cops, because that is really serious. Alcohol, tobacco, drugs, confiscate, throw away, call the kid's parents and subject the kid to some disciplinary action such as suspension, no need to involve the police. Too much misbehavior means expulsion.

That's really all schools need. They don't need to be tagging kids with locators, they don't need to be policing them when they are off campus (unless it's for being absent when they should be on campus), they don't need drug-testing, they don't need dog locker sniffing unless someone thinks there's a bomb.

Yeah, this exactly.  Schools need to be more active about making sure everything runs smoothly than just lazily planting trackers on kids.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 08:35:16 pm »
I have to agree, it seems like schools go out of their way to be as bloody stupid as humanly possible (demanding the deaf 3 year old sign his name differently because the hand signs he was making looked like a gun anybody?). I really have to question the logic of some of these administrators and teachers, it seems to me that literally anybody I went to school with, even the biggest dumbasses, had more sense as high schoolers than some of these teachers. The only thing I can think of is that they deliberately try to be as Machiavellian as possible for shits and giggles. Maybe I have to believe that, because the alternative, that they really are that fucking stupid, is too depressing to consider.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 09:29:19 pm »
Leave our cell phones at home?  What are we, animals?  Oh, wait.  I don't own a cellphone.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »
I have to agree, it seems like schools go out of their way to be as bloody stupid as humanly possible (demanding the deaf 3 year old sign his name differently because the hand signs he was making looked like a gun anybody?). I really have to question the logic of some of these administrators and teachers, it seems to me that literally anybody I went to school with, even the biggest dumbasses, had more sense as high schoolers than some of these teachers. The only thing I can think of is that they deliberately try to be as Machiavellian as possible for shits and giggles. Maybe I have to believe that, because the alternative, that they really are that fucking stupid, is too depressing to consider.
3rd option prison complex.  see the school police often get moneey per arrest so they do stupid things.  that or private prisions