Author Topic: Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:31:09 pm »
And what do you call yourselves on the abortion issue? Since you believe "choice" doesn't really exist, what is the term?

Also, do you do much about the issue of abortion or any issue I suppose other than talk about it? It would seem like if everything is predestined then there's no point in being an activist or even in voting for that matter, everything will turn out exactly the way that it does no matter what, so why bother lifting a finger, unless it's to be able to look back and point at yourself and say "see what I was a part of."

Offline myusername

• Bishop
Re: Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:12 pm »
If everything is determined, why worry about determinism?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:48:30 pm »
Oh, goody, a game of Sophistry.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 04:50:47 pm »
*go gets the brick layer out again*

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 04:57:20 pm »
Wait, who says we don't believe in choice?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:17 pm »
And what do you call yourselves on the abortion issue? Since you believe "choice" doesn't really exist, what is the term?

Also, do you do much about the issue of abortion or any issue I suppose other than talk about it? It would seem like if everything is predestined then there's no point in being an activist or even in voting for that matter, everything will turn out exactly the way that it does no matter what, so why bother lifting a finger, unless it's to be able to look back and point at yourself and say "see what I was a part of."

If determinism is real, isn't a belief in determinism itself deterministic?  As in, you have no choice whether you believe in determinism if it's real?  So even if you are behaving in a deterministic manner without realizing it, you're not acting in a manner that sees everything as such?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:41:30 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:20:49 am »
Determinism is a belief that choice is an illusion because we will all inevitably act in a way determined by our past / the universes past. That does not however preclude the need to support abortion rights. The determinism belief is that someone supports abortion rights because of all factors that led to that belief being within them and established from their past experiences. Hence both the pro-life and pro-choice people are still living deterministic lives their actions and campaigns are the determined actions, not the eventual result as you seem to think.

Believing that everything will work out without any outside influence is not determinism it is nihilism.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 01:13:10 am »
Is anyone here a third wave feminist Jainist Randian objectivist in favour of public transit? 'cause I have a serious bone to pick with you guys.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
Is anyone here a third wave feminist Jainist Randian objectivist in favour of public transit? 'cause I have a serious bone to pick with you guys.

Yeah! How can you reconcile your belief in non-violent ultra-free-market women's equality with a system paid for and created by a male-dominated system of taxation and counter-environmental violence?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:28:16 am by MaybeNever »
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:27:54 am »

Yeah! How can you rectify your belief in non-violent ultra-free-market women's equality with a system paid for and created by a male-dominated system of taxation and counter-environmental violence?

I want you both to adopt me as your love gimp.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:13:53 am »

It would seem like if everything is predestined then there's no point in being an activist or even in voting for that matter, everything will turn out exactly the way that it does no matter what, so why bother lifting a finger, unless it's to be able to look back and point at yourself and say "see what I was a part of."
Put two minutes of thought into it. When you have grasped the obvious, we can maybe talk about details.

Oh what the hell..
First, with radical determinism you don't have a choice whether to be an activist or not, so no questioning the motivation.
Second, the 'way things turn out' is not determined (cf. determinism) by fate, but by the actions of the members of society (using societal activism as an example). So as a member of society, your actions very much determine which way history will go.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »

It would seem like if everything is predestined then there's no point in being an activist or even in voting for that matter, everything will turn out exactly the way that it does no matter what, so why bother lifting a finger, unless it's to be able to look back and point at yourself and say "see what I was a part of."
Put two minutes of thought into it. When you have grasped the obvious, we can maybe talk about details.

Oh what the hell..
First, with radical determinism you don't have a choice whether to be an activist or not, so no questioning the motivation.
Second, the 'way things turn out' is not determined (cf. determinism) by fate, but by the actions of the members of society (using societal activism as an example). So as a member of society, your actions very much determine which way history will go.

But why did you take the action you took? Did you just do it for no reason at all? No. Then there are factors which determined your social activism and hence through that everything that came from it.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »
*sighs and gets the booze* Bar's open!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."